1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Laptop!

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by ArnieJB, Oct 18, 2013.

1. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Since my 7 year old Dell running Windows XP is on its last legs, I am finally replacing it with a new 13" MacBook Pro that I just purchased tonight. I still need to get it all set up, but can't wait to be up and running with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. nine204

nine204 Loaded Pockets

Nice! I just replaced my pro 13 for a pro retina 13. love macs.
    [​IMG]

IMightBeWrong and antman157 like this.
  3. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Knightrock EDC Junkie!!!!!

Iv
    I've been thinking of going to a MacBook Pro, from a Dell, as well. Let me know how you like the Apple and Apple operating system vs. the PC.

4. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Some day in the future I’ll need to replace my 2010 15" MBP. I’m thinking about an Air, and if the rumours are correct there will be a 12" Air next year. I’d only buy it with Retina, and only if my MBP conks out, though.
    That said, you’ll really notice a big step forward. :)
    This month there will be a new OSX release, too.

5. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

I've only ever owned one Mac, and that was WAY back in the day when I had my own pc repair shop. It was one of those G4 cube deals and I gave it away after a week. Since then I've always built my own and run Linux on everything. I gave up on desktop models about 6 years ago and went strictly laptops. My current laptop is an ASUS gaming model has that aggravating Windows 8 on it, but I don't boot into it very often... I favor my Linux Mint install.

6. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

A 11.6" MacBook air is one I would have liked to own. I ended up getting an HP Envy X2 instead. It looks similar enough to the MacBook Air but has a detachable keyboard. I guess I'm one of the weird ones that actually like WIN8.:)

I'm looking forward to seeing photographic evidence of your new MacBook.

RomanVeritas and SAKplumber like this.
  7. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

13" non-retina Mbp here. Had some regret on my way home from best buy in that I could have bought 2 or 3 windows laptops for what I paid, but as soon as I fired it up that regret all faded away. I do have windows 7 installed on a boot camp partition, but I rarely go into it. Another positive for the macs is that they hold their value much better than a PC. I can use this thing for a couple years and probably sell it for 50% or better of what I paid for it to put towards an upgrade. The cost of admission is a bit high, but I don't think I'll ever turn back now.

8. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Growing up, I always had Macs and then due to economic reasons bought the Dell many years ago. I hate Windows 8 and all of the virus scanning with my old Windows XP. It takes an hour to fully boot up and then another 20 minutes to fire up Adobe CS 2. So glad to be going back to a Mac. I will be loading Adobe CS 6 on it. I picked up the Mac with the upgraded processer and RAM.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

9. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Stonerman, I was thinking about the partition thing. What do you see as the advantage to that? Do you need to run many Windows applications?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

10. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

A few weeks ago I replaced my old Acer laptop with a new Acer laptop. The old one's had Ubuntu on it for the last couple of years. The new one has Win 8 (which I can't fault so far apart from Aero Glass being removed) and will have Ubuntu on a partition when I get round to it. I'll keep Windows this time, as I've found a few Windows games I like.

Old
    [​IMG]

New
    [​IMG]

ArnieJB likes this.
  11. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I've used windows based computers for the better part of the last 2 decades and wasn't quite sure how quickly I'd figure out the apple way of doing things. Initially I put windows on there as a feel good thing... If I can't figure out how to do something in osx, I'd switch over to windows. Don't think I ever needed it for that. There are a couple of programs I use from time to time that I haven't found suitable replacements for on Mac, so that's why it is still on there. Once I get it all figured out, I'll have no qualms about deleting the windows partition.

I think the worst part about it as far as MS is concerned, is that windows runs better on my Mac than it ever did on anything else.

Another option would be to use windows within osx with something like parallels desktop, but I just took advantage of the built in and free option and it works quite nicely.

12. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

My MBP got a bigger HDD (750GB), so now it sports a 100GB Boot Camp installation with Win 7 Pro. In OSX there’s VMWare Fusion installed for using Boot Camp as virtual machine, and virtual machines for OSs I like to play around with but have no real use for (Ubuntu, FreeBSD). I mainly need Windows for getting new maps for my old Nokia phone (C7). I could use it for playing Max Payne 2, too, but that would require a non-virtual restart, and I like long uptimes. [​IMG]

13. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Congrats on the MacBook!

I made the move to a MacBook about two years ago. I decided to get a refurbished one from Smalldog Electronics just to see what I was missing out on.

I can't imagine going back to Windows now. While I found the MacBook to be quirky and somewhat frustrating at first, I quickly learned how to use it and now find it to be much faster and more efficient than Windows. The only Windows based program I use is Office for Mac and it works great.

My wife and kids have Windows based PC and laptops and I find that I'm annoyed by the constant updates and bloatware that's added on.

When (and if) this MacBook dies, I'm sticking with MacBooks.

ArnieJB likes this.
  14. Monty

Monty Loaded Pockets

A new laptop for me is a 12"-14" lightweight business class machine for a couple hundred bucks off ebay and throwing my latest favorite Linux distro on it. Those usually get me by for 3-4 years easy and I don't too upset when they get knocked off the kitchen table like my current Dell just did a few weeks ago.

15. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Loaded Pockets

Start by downloading maverick os- it's free!

ArnieJB likes this.
  16. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

From 2008 15" MBP to 2013 15" rMBP. Just placed the order tonight. IPS display at last!

ArnieJB likes this.
  17. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I will be doing that tonight! Got Adobe CS6 all installed and MS Office and OS X Maverick is next!

dplp1 likes this.
  18. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Mavericks is running very nicely here on both an iMac and a Mac Mini. :)

ArnieJB likes this.
  19. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

OS X Mavericks installed..check......MS Office installed.....check!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Mavericks is nice, but it seems like iSync is finally not working anymore. In Mountain Lion the Snow Leopard version still worked. Need another way to sync my Nokia C7. :eek: