1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Knipex Cobra XS pliers will be only 100 mm long

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by parnass, May 14, 2020.

1. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Thanks man!

2. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

I've already got the 125's so I'm passing on these. Now, if they had coated handles and the locking mechanism of the larger Cobras....

3. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

I felt the same way....till I handled a set. When you do, you quickly realize that the buttonless adjust, along with the uncoated-but-nicely-textured handles provide a different, but VERY nice experience and you see the wisdom in the omission of the coated handles and button adjuster on these. In short, don't knock 'em, till you've tried 'em.

Just saying...

4. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

Great, thanks a lot... ;)

chaosmagnet and rdisom like this.
  5. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I caved and bought a pair. You lot are a bunch of enablers! :p I have the 125's as well, so here's a quick comparison:

The 125's are small, but the 100's still feel really dinky by comparison. They don't lose as much capability as you might think, but manage to shave off 25g in weight (60g vs 85g). They feel good in the hand and have the usual Knipex build quality. I find I don't miss the plastic coating on the handles - YMMV.

If you have the 125's in a toolkit then the 100's probably are unnecessary unless you think you'd use the one-handed setting ability or the slightly thinner and pointier jaws. For EDC in pocket the 100's have a significant advantage, for EDC in bag or pouch then they have a slight advantage - probably not worth replacing 125's but probably preferable to 125's if you have neither at the moment.

If you're a small tool junkie then give up now and save time! :D

Here are a few comparison shots on a 1cm grid:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by PragmaticMurphyist, Sep 12, 2020
    #25 PragmaticMurphyist, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Busmech, Mumbojumboo, jds1 and 10 others like this.
  6. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

@PragmaticMurphyist
    Excellent pics and comparison! I just got mine in the mail. These will make a nice addition to my EDC toolkit.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  7. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

You guys stop it right now! Don't make me come in there!!
    Um, where's a good place to pick up a pair?
    ;)

8. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

I ordered here: https://www.ktool.net
    But almost didn’t bearing caution for some (well several) less than stellar reviews I found re: their service etc. Alternatively there are some good reviews as well.

I did it anyway lured by the great price and free shipping and it was a picture-perfect, speedy transaction for me and YES I’d order from them again. YMMV

MY experience was quite positive but I’m being very transparent here so, as always at your own risk!

#28 Gogogordy, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    twin63 likes this.
  9. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I got mine from a seller on the Amazon UK marketplace (not Amazon themselves).

10. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

Dang, I only paid about $17.50 for the 125. A little too spendy for something I don't have any actual need for.

11. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I just ordered me a pair after seeing this again. Placed my order with KC Tools. They also carry a lot of other good brands :mad::censored::blink::stomp:

12. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Isn't that true of much of the shtuff discussed on this forum!? LOL

Lateck and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  13. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

Abso-friggin'-lutely. All most of us need is a small SAK for our daily tasks. My grandfathers carried small pocket knives, writing pens, and wore wristwatches. One of them smoked so he also had a lighter. Amazing they got through life at all! ;)

#33 CSG, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Lateck, PragmaticMurphyist and twin63 like this.
  14. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

We've advanced since the age of tiny mystery steel slip-joints. No offense, I carry a Leatherman with a midsized 3" folder pretty much 24/7. I'm sure Sak's have their place too depending on your needs, but I don't see them as being interchangeable equals. V8 trucks from the 60's and 70's are still better built than modern trucks in my opinion, so I'm not completely against the idea that maybe Grandpa knew better.

As for the topic, I'll probably buy a pair as an emergency companion to my backpack carried Crecent wrench.

15. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Too small. Any smaller a multi tool would be equally effective. I have 125 cobra and adjustable.

tbzbbt

16. HappyGilmore

HappyGilmore Loaded Pockets

I think this is very well said. I especially agree about the part about SAKS and MULTITOOLS being separate categories...Its unfair to either to compare them. I have had a very hard time justifying anything other than a 58mm Victorinox + a OHO Leatherman variety. HOWEVER, the last few months using the 125 Knipex Plier wrench has completely ruined me...Nothing comes close..and no, the cobra is not a substitute either..

I am very thankful for these shots of the jaw thicknesses! the 100 may even have more merit over the 125 than I originally thought.

17. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I’ve used mine around the house this weekend just to get some time with them. I used them to pull a tight takedown pin on an AR lower, to repair a hook and bar fastener on a pair of trousers and to pull straps through molle webbing on a belt. Normally, I use needle nose pliers when working with molle, but the 100’s jaws were able to get under the webbing enough to grab the straps and pull them through. No heavy duty use, but I suspect they will be more than adequate for most of my EDC needs.

They were comfortable to use and I didn’t have any issues with having to frequently adjust my grip (for reference, I wear medium gloves). They also pocket carry very well. My brother is an electronics tech and is going to get a pair to keep in his shirt pocket at work.

These may get more day to day use than my 125’s, but I think they will compliment each other very well.

#37 twin63, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  18. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

Received mine the other day and they fit nicely in my pocket.
    I am looking at how I want to carry them. I have a few different sheaths I could use. But for now they are in the pocket.
    Great quality and I believe that they will serve me well.

PragmaticMurphyist, jds1 and twin63 like this.
  19. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

So yeah, I broke down and bought a pair. They arrived yesterday...

[​IMG]

20. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

Nice tool roll. Did you get that on the Bushcraft forum?

Jeff

chaosmagnet likes this.