1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Kershaw Cryo-Rick Hinderer Designed.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by sventvkg, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Hands come in different sizes. People have varying levels of dexterity.

2. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

So we are brain washed into liking it? For $30 if I didn't like it at best it would have gone back to amazon with no loss to me. At worst I would fine something ridiculous to cut with it and then use it as a paper weight.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Blerv and Gnarly like this.
  3. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Does it even matter why we like something? If I like it and enjoy it that's all that maters.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Fukurai, kd7dvd and k.o.milo like this.
  4. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I try to never getting into whether I like something or not. I try to focus on whether something works well. For me, as an EDC knife, the Cryo did not work well. It was too heavy and slick. My sample model came with serious fit and finish issues. I thought the thumb studs were a waste of material and hindered its removal from the pocket.

People are free to like whatever they want. Lots of people like bad things--Nicholas Sparks' career is almost premised on this notion--but likes and dislikes are only are part of what makes something work. And for me, the Cryo did not work as well as other things for specific, objective reasons.

5. Oofa

Oofa Empty Pockets

This is great. I will check with you before making my next knife purchase. You know what knife I need, what is too small for me and what is worth $30 to me. Thanks!

6. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I'm not sure hype or hinderer advertizing can really be applied to this knife, and I really think that anyone who spends the time comparing this knife to any other knife at pricepoints higher than the value of this knife are doing so because they are self-important blowhards who have nothing better to do than "review" knives on the internet. :)

It's like a "foodie" blogging about a McDonalds Quarter Pounder with Cheese and reviewing it compared to a $80 Kobe beef hamburger that someone might buy in Vegas. It would be a complete waste of time.

I'm not saying anyone here has done that, I'm saying that arguing about this knife in a serious manner is like keeping a hot air balloon afloat by breathing into it. You would have to be full of a lot of hot air. :)

*Yes, I was going to use a different comparison, but I didn't want to offend THAT many people. ;)

7. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

The Hinderer name makes no difference to me on this. I simply like the looks and the features I see and read. Brand names mean nothing to me. Heck I love my SRM 710 and think its a great value. Probabky the best value in any knife Ive seen for that price.

The Cryro simply appeals to me. The name means nothing to me. The negativea that people are claiming are pluses for me. The weight for example. I like a heavy knife.

It seems to me that people are trying to compare it to other Hinderers and thats just not a valid comparison.

I dont see why this knife is generating so much controversy. Its just another $30 knife. Just becauses it has a popular name attached doesnt make it special. For the price I think its pretty hard to beat. If you want more than pay more. I am satisfied with what it offers at that price. It looks like it will fit my needs perfectly. I guess Im just lucky that my needs dont require a huge investment. That might not be the case with everyone.

Its sorta like me being a light weight drinker. Doesnt take much to get me drunk, so drinking is cheap for me. Likewise it doesnt take a lot in a knife to make me happy, so I get off cheap.

Just because I dont need an expensive knife doesnt make me uneducated or emotionally biased. I know the differences, but I dont compare apples to oranges.

Its fine if some of you dont like the knife, just please dont judge me because I dont share your opinion.

Sent from my Commadore 64 using Tapatalk 2

Syclone1436 and gibbsrule9 like this.
  8. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

My reason to pick one up was to see if there was anything special for the $30 Hinderer Designed knife. After a couple of weeks, I sold it. Was I disappointed? No.....it's what I would have expected for a $30 dollar knife..

Fukurai likes this.
  9. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I'd never judge a man that lives his life by the 51 Rules of LJG and types his posts on a Commadore 64. H-a-r-d c-o-r-e. :cool:

Fukurai likes this.
  10. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

One of your homemade beads would set it off nicely! Once I finally buy one I will add one of your beads and grab a shot and share it.

11. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Are you saying a Royale with Cheese isn't on par with a Kobe burger? Where is that clown? I've been lied to!#%

TECENG likes this.
  12. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hahaha. Thanks man! I needed that laugh tonight :)

13. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Point taken. Fortunately my main comparison, the skyline is cheaper.

Neutrontech:

I'd never judge someone for something as insignificant as the knife they carry. No worries about that.

14. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I like production collaborations because the average person will not own a Hinderer. Same goes for all the big makers, Bill Moran, Ed Schempp, the late Bob Lum, Frank Centofante and many more.

It's not a custom knife but it does have a bit more flair than the average pragmatic cutting tool. Frankly, I don't think the Hinderer name is as much of a sales force as the $30 price tag and zealots like Nutnfancy who get 40,000 views for a knife review that lasts longer than a sitcom.

If you like it buy it. If you don't (or discover you don't after buying it) that's ok. People are entitled to their opinions and trying to convince them they are wrong when a folder is such a simple and personal item is a bit silly. It's not like we are trying to convince people that penicillin is worth considering if you are dying of infection. It's a tool; it's not a medical product, religion or political stance.

k.o.milo, Kripto and Gnarly like this.
  15. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Keeping mine.

kd7dvd and Kripto like this.
  16. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Me too!

17. sventvkg

sventvkg Loaded Pockets

Been working great for me! It's small but I don't need a HUGE EDC knife most of the time. That said I will get the big brother just for the heck of it :)

18. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Rawls, I wonder if you got a bum unit. Was it a pre-release? Anyway, it was a fine review and raised many good points, but half of what you were talking about had no relationship to the knife in my hand. Mine opens smoothly, locks up well, is centered, and reasonably sharp. I agree the thumbstud is kind of silly, but at least they installed one that doesn't cut up my pockets like my Blur does.

Thanks for taking the time to review it. I'd be interested to see your notes if you get a chance at a second look. (Yeah, so many knives, so little time....:))

19. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

Just received one of these yesterday. I really wanted to like it, really I did. As far as that goes, I really want to like Kershaw. Out of the 5 I have owned, only one has ever shown up to my doorstep without problems. Anyway, this is a good looking knife, but, mine arrived dull. Not my version of dull, but the universal version of butterknife dull. I have only had one other knife in recent memory come this dull. Problem number 2 was the blade was almost touching the liner. Decided to flip it open before I tried the paper adjustment trick. You guessed it. Problem 3. The blade did not have enough spring to even lock open. Pivot was tightened by a gorilla. Sharpened on the Sharpmaker, worked for a half hour to center the blade (which was to no avail...Its better but still not centered. Did correct the opening problem though) and thru it in my knife drawer.
    I am sure Kershaw makes a fine product. This is not bashing, just my experience. I own more knives than I need, everything from Cold Steel to Hinderer. I have even made a few. But I will say, this one is not for me.

mrpink likes this.
  20. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was gifted one of these today by fellow EDCF member goosefacer. I must preface my comments by saying that I have never owned and hardly handled any "tactical" folders.
    Things I don't like about this knife: it's just a hair too short got my hands
    The clip is just a tad too tight at the moment
    Blade is not perfectly centered, but not to the point of hitting the liners or affecting opening

Things I do like?
    The assisted opening on the knife I have works great and it's a lot of fun to play with.
    The blade length is perfect for EDC in my opinion, I don't like huge blades for EDC.
    Clip is fully positionable. I'm a lefty and I appreciate that the clip can be set for tip up our down carry for both lefties and rights
    The knife is fun to play with
    I like the weight of the knife. Sometimes a super light knife feels too much like a toy to me.
    The blade on mine is sharp, although I have no idea if it came from the factory like that
    This knife is fun!

If you are used to handling top of the line knives, this knife is probably not for you. A $30 knife is going to have done fit and finish issues. Stick with the real hinderer or whatever. Also if you want a super small, light weight knife again, not for you. If you want a knife that feels solid in your
    Hand, and is modeled after some of the coolest must sought after knives around then it might be worth your time and money to give it a try.
    This knife was gifted to me by a generous forum member, but I would party retail for it any day (at least any day my wife let me out the door with that much lol)Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Fukurai and hatchetjack like this.