1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Kershaw Cryo-Rick Hinderer Designed.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by sventvkg, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

All fair. This knife stinks. My review copy was junk. I'd rather have a SS Zing. Larger blade with a full 1.2 ounces lighter.

2. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Your scathing review was one of the sources I was referring to that had negative feedback on the Cyro. But, there were others that mentioned the weight and some knocked the quality. That all seems to be in contradiction to what most people have reported in this forum. I'm confused how so many people can have completely divergent opinions on the same product. #confused

3. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

So, I'm looking up the weight on the Cyro. It's 4.2 ounces. The two knives that most often make it into my EDC rotation are the Spyderco Native III (2.8 ounces) and the Benchmade Mini Grip (2.56 ounces). Taking into consideration both have a blade length a quarter inch longer than the Cyro... guys, that's a pretty significant difference. Wouldn't you feel that in your pocket? I'm just saying.

4. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I think some people are expecting Hinderer XM quality at $30. Could it be a better knife if they actually sold it for $50 or more? Of course. You can't have everything in amazing quality for $30.

That being said. Compared to my tenacious and blackout hands down I like the cryo better. The cryo feels more solid than my zt0200, granted I bought it used and probably need to send it back to Kershaw. I feel like people who say it is slick just looked at the knife and decided that. I know that was one of my concerns with it before I bought one, but they proved me wrong when handling. Granted I don't go out in the rain or drop my knife in a puddle and then decide to saw wood with it without drying it off though, again I think people's expectations are completely out of line with the knife. Do I wish that it had g10 scales? Sure! But I find the knife to be acceptable for typical edc type tasks without reservation.

For a $30 it will do everything that most people rely on a small blade for. It keeps wear and tear down on my nicer knives, I'm not afraid to abuse it a bit since it is so cheap and easily replaced. If you have to have a knife that is 100% perfect for you made out of the best materials and made to do anything... Why are you buying a $30 knife?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

5. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

It may be a useful knife, but is not a very light knife. Good desgin, IMO, but it's hefty for its size. I will probably gift my copy.

6. wheelsoffreedom76

wheelsoffreedom76 Loaded Pockets

Saw this knife on a nutnfancy video and knew I had to have one. Found it the next day at the local sporting goods dealer for $39. I really like how deep it carries and the flat black clip goes unnoticed against blue jeans. It opens easier and quicker than any other knife I have ( the crkt m16 I donated to the uniform service in a pair of work pants came close). It has been my main carry blade since I got it. My only real complaint against the knife is having it say china.

7. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

I like that reasoning. "why are you buying a $30 knife?" In todays world I think the Cryo is a sweet knife for its price. One just can't expect it to meet every one of their personal criteria for "perfection" at that price. I'm kinda thinkin' if you need "lighter", and "less slick", you're gonna have to shell out more moola! :)

Gnarly and stax like this.
  8. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I like knives with heft. Like my ZT0350. I dont care for knives that are so light I have to keep checking that its still there. So that weight of the Cryro is a plus for me.

SWSon and Gnarly like this.
  9. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I think weight preferences are pretty subjective. The Cryo will not be too heavy for a lot of people. I don't think it is too heavy for pocket carry if wearing jeans, Carharts or other heavyweight pants.

10. Oofa

Oofa Empty Pockets

Thanks Gnarly. I emailed them last Monday and did not get a response. I think calling them on Tues. should help.

11. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Email = FAIL.
    Phone will getcha instant help.

12. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Liking products you buy is a form of confirmation bias. I didn't buy mine Cryo so I had no attachment to it, no monetary or psychological investment. I am not saying everyone that likes is suffering from confirmation bias, but having reviewed three dozen or so blades and having access to virtually anything tells me that this is a clunker of a knife.

At $30 there a lot better choices. The skyline is way better.

13. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Well thats quite subjective. I handled the skykine and it didnt feel "tough" enough for me. Although I havent actually held the Cryro yet, everything Ive read about it tells me I will love it.

Im kind of an odd ball though. Most expensive knives I see posted that people drool over, I dont much care for. I like fairly simple designs, which the Skyline does have, but I also like bulk/weight which it does not have.

I own neither knife so have no bias. I never run out and buy a knife just because. Its a long drawn out decision for every knife I buy. That being said, i still have not pulled the trigger on the Cryro. But so far it is the most appealing of any knife Ive seen at that price point.

However I do respect your opinion. I just dont agree, as of now.
    Sent from my Commadore 64 using Tapatalk 2

14. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I understand what you're saying and the bias you're speaking of is rampant on forums like this one. But, I think it depends on how much of a critical eye you put on the product. I've purchased almost every product I've reviewed here on EDCF and if I'm spending my hard earned money on it then it has to meet my high quality standard. And the bar gets raised with every great product I review. That standard doesn't change if I'm provided a product by an OEM.

And as you know, bloggers can be guilty of a different kind of bias when they feel compelled to give a favorable review due to a relationship with a particular manufacturer. I've read the review policy page on your site Anthony and so I'm aware you don't keep any of the products you review. I commend you for that but realize that stance is the exception rather than the rule. Unless a blogger can successfully monetize his/her blog, the only compensation for all the hard work and sunk costs is being able to keep some of the products they are sent for review. The better blogs have strongly worded ethics policies and require companies to read them before sending products in. But, it can be a slippery slope.

15. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I find it interesting that the Cyro and Skyline are compared at all and your comments bring it into focus for me. The Skyline isn't meant to be a "tough" knife. It's an EDC blade geared towards light cutting tasks, food prep, etc. Tasks for which it is ideally suited.

I think the Cyro with it's heavy feel, blade shape, and overall Hinderer lineage is meant to appeal to buyers looking for a "tough" knife. But, will a $30 knife made with the materials at that price point hold up under harsh conditions as well as a Hinderer, Strider, or similar quality blade? Probably not. That is why my initial impression of the Cyro is different from yours. If I was in the market for a tough knife, then I'd probably look elsewhere and realize I couldn't get it at the price point in question. ;)

Gnarly likes this.
  16. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I don't think the Skyline is a particularly hard use knife, but it will do pretty much whatever you need when used as an EDC knife. I guess the Cryo is a bit more hardy, but certainly not a true hard use knife. The most wear mine got was from rubbing up against the handle scale.

As for brand bias, I do my very best to ignore it. It was actually the subject of a post, found here.

I try as hard as I can to give a fair and systematic look at stuff. The Cryo just didn't measure up.

17. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

I see what you are saying. For hard use I have a ZT. For lighter edc use, I like what the Cryro offers. Maybe I just like the "feel" of a hard use knife for lighter daily use knife.

My comparison with the Skyline was with light use in mind.

Sent from my Commadore 64 using Tapatalk 2

18. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Just picked one up this weekend for $30.. It's the best $30 knife I've ever owned. Is it an XM-18? NO... But it's a fine knife..

Think about this.. If someone asks to borrow your knife, would you hand them your $700 blade, or your $30 blade... I know my answer. ;)

Fukurai and Gnarly like this.
  19. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

All this ruckus over a 4.2oz "heavy" knife? It sounded like they made it with depleted uranium and lead fittings, lol.

I've got a few personal preferences against it (AO, flipper, etc) but it looks like a solid knife for many people. For $30 how could it be that bad? You can't fill an economy car's gas tank for that price.

Gnarly likes this.
  20. mrpink

mrpink Banned

in general people are easily made to believe that they want a knife. people bought into the huge hype and the hinderer advertising when in reality its simply just another knife you dont need and is too small to even be a flipper. its hilarious watching youtube vids of people re-adjusting their grip to open the knife cause its so small...and then in their own mind trying to convince themselves that its not a tiny knife that isnt even worth $30.