1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Kelty Redtail 27 arrived!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by KDOG08, Jul 30, 2018.

1. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

So I've been looking for something to compliment my Redwing 50 for a hiking pack. So in my search I checked out the new Redtail 27 snatched it up on Amazon. I got the same Twilight Blue color. I have to say I'm very impressed. I like the simple clean design. The main compartment is like a "bucket" and can hold alot of stuff. The front admin area is also quite simple with 2 sets of simple slot pockets. The lid has a small pocket for quick access. In fact, since the pack sits nice and high - like a pack should - I can reach behind my head and get into that pocket. The bag is light as a feather. My Rush 12, which is a similar in size, is a tank in comparison. It has a set of compression straps and stretchy mesh pockets on both sides.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

I really hope your experience with the 27 is better than mine with the 32 which I returned.

I really wanted to like the Redwing, I just couldn't. No matter how I loaded the pack and adjusted the straps the load wouldn't sit right; I constantly got a pinching in the trap area. The HDME sheet was flimsy and bowed easily including audible flexing with light loads. For reference, the main load I tested totaled out at ~12 lbs and that included the weight of the pack itself so by no means did I load the thing up.

Pockets were good enough in size though when the main area was filled it pushed on the admin area easily reducing easy access.

Design was sleek and clean which was the initial draw.

3. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Well the Redtail 27 is a different bag, we are probably different sizes. I was considering the Redwing 32 as well but it was twice the cost for barely any more size. All I can say is maybe give this one a try. I notice the frame sheet is kinda flimsy too but that nice, supple padding on the back sure helps with that.

4. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

They are pretty much the same pack.

The 32 only really adds:
    -2 side pockets
    -shove it pocket
    -daisy chain handle on the front
    -2 bottom loops for poles
    -marginally more padded hip belt

Either way, I hope you have a good experience and enjoy the pack.

5. Highway9
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Highway9 Loaded Pockets

I have the 32 and like the pack. Be careful with that top zipper - it gets caught in the storm flap pretty easily. It needs a redesign...