1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New KarasKustoms EDK pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by RMinNJ, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I have their render k and bolt.. I was eyeing this next, thanks for the info. Maybe I'll go a different route.. In copper of course

2. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I can heartily recommend the Retrakt..Its so comfortable to write with and takes a bunch of refills. Only minor
    thing I don't like about it is the length ...but that is needed to take the pilot G2 refills. In fact I switched to those in my Retrakt and its a potent writing combination...the pilot gel ink and the shape of the Retrakt are
    a really good writing experience. (I think one calls it ergonomics coupled with a good ink technology?)

I thought the EDK would be a shorter Retrakt but the rings and way they shaped the nose (less taper) give it an entirely different feel. It feels fatter and is not as comfortable to me with the rings..its rather confounding because the top of the pen is the exactly the same as the Retrakt. The Schmidt 8126 and 8127 refills are not really gel ink and they tend to bleed depending on what paper you use.. The Pilot G2 gel writes better.

I'm not saying the EDK is a bad pen, just didn't grow on me. It is certainly a good pen for someone looking for a ton of grip and a shorter format.

Bowman1911 and Bad Company like this.
  3. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

RMinNJ- Thanks for your honest opinion of the EDK. You saved me some $ in not buying one.

4. BigDerp

BigDerp Loaded Pockets

I am enjoying the EDK quite a bit. I had an opposite reaction to the Retrakt. It was too slippery. Especially outside when temps were cold.

When I saw the edk, it knew it would be worth it if I could fit a fisher space refill and the grip wasn't slippery. I'm outside for work half the time. Having something durable in crap weather is a must.

If you're in rugged weather a lot and need/want ink, the EDK is an exceptional writing tool.

I also found going with heavier metal (copper) on the bottom half, the pen fit better in my hands. I went all aluminum on the Retrakt. The top was still heavier in my hand than the bottom. That difference was noticed as soon as I held the EDK.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  5. kevinplarson

kevinplarson Empty Pockets

I love the EDK. It's my favorite and I have the retrakt, render k and bolt. The grips are great. The 8126 refill is really nice. No complaints. I think the best out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDerp likes this.
  6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I was intrigued when I first saw it, but I've become less enamored of the Karas pens (in general & the EDC in particular) the more I find out. The Tactile Turn pens, although a bit pricier, seem like more bang for the buck & more well thought out. I dislike the industrial unfinished look of the Karas pens. For those that want the Schmidt capless rollerball, the Retro 51 and Kaweco sport pens are much more classic and less expensive, to boot. I do like the fact that there are nicer options for G-2, and similar rollerballs now, as well as Parker compatible pens.

7. grunch

grunch Loaded Pockets

I guess I'm in the minority here ... Day after day I keep finding myself reaching for the EDK, even over my Tactile Turn! Part of the reason for that is that I carry those pens in a slip case so I'm not interacting much with the clip and how high it comes out of the pocket.

Though today I did happen to pick up the Shaker instead and slipping that into a shirt pocket is just a joy.

BigDerp likes this.