1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New KarasKustoms EDK pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by RMinNJ, Oct 13, 2015.

1. BigDerp

BigDerp Loaded Pockets

Supposed to arrive Monday. Got the copper bottom, tumbled alum top. Gonna squeeze in a fisher space refill in and let 'er rip.

2. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Waiting for mine too, and I'm really excited! I saw on the Massdrop forum that people are getting their shipping notifications from Karas, but I haven't heard from them. I'm not good with patience....

3. BigDerp

BigDerp Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Just opened the package. Already switched refills to fisher space and wrote some notes for tomorrow. Feels really good in the hand. Aluminum on top with copper on bottom is an excellent offset for weight in your hand.

My retrakt will collect dust now.

kkay and thegadgetnut like this.
  4. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

"..My retrakt will collect dust now."

No, I've been writing with my Retrakt with the blue Pilot G2 refill and its been really nice. I probably didn't use this refill sooner as this is the only pen I have
    that fits them. (unless you consider cutting them to fit a Tornado). I'm sure I'll like EDK but my Retrakt takes the cake for comfort and refill versatility.

The EDK is the same width as the Retrakt no ?

5. thegadgetnut

thegadgetnut Loaded Pockets

BEWARE!! Got my EDK today (purchased through Massdrop). The clip was incredibly loose. I tried to gently tighten the screws with an Allen wrench and SNAP--the head of the tiny screw broke right off leaving the shaft of the screw stuck in the pen body. I know better than to crank down on such a tiny screw and so I felt like I was being careful, but it broke anyway. I'm so bummed out. I definitely expected better out-of-the-box quality from of a $50 pen. I emailed Karras Kustoms to see what they can do for me. I didn't even get to use the pen for three minutes--I sure hope they have good customer service. I guess we'll see. I'll keep you updated--in the meantime please be extra careful guys so the same thing doesn't happen to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kkay likes this.
  6. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Paul is usually the one fielding emails, and he's a stand up guy. He'll get ya squared away.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

7. BigDerp

BigDerp Loaded Pockets

That's sucks. Had no issues with mine.

8. BigDerp

BigDerp Loaded Pockets

I have and alum retrakt. The pen liked to slip out of my fingers a lot. I got used to it, but the moment I held the EDK and then held the retrakt it had the highest contrast in feel.

The copper and ridges of the edk offers excellent grip. The pen is shorter and the ridging at the top of the pen offers good grip also. Perfect length.

9. thegadgetnut

thegadgetnut Loaded Pockets

You're right, already got an email reply from Paul pledging to make it 100% right and a tracking number for a package. Actually makes me feel good about buying a $50 pen. I treat my customers that way at work, and I love doing business with people who believe the same. Thanks Paul and Karas Kustoms.

RMinNJ and BigDerp like this.
  10. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Yeah... the KarasKustoms folks actually answer email and will take care of you. The Retro51 folks also are pretty darn good. Even the Schmidt folks all the way over in Germany are darn good. Only ones I had a problem with were Cross and Parker.

11. Shanno161

Shanno161 Empty Pockets

KaraKustoms currently have $10 off this pens when you use the code "EDK" at checkout.
    I've been eying these off for a while now, but still havent pulled the trigger.

12. BigDerp

BigDerp Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG]

Opened and closed with fisher space refill. Perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Radley likes this.
  13. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Right.. I just got mine.. the tumbled aluminum finish is nice...less slippery than my raw Retrakt.

I've been experimenting with the different Schmidt P8126 and 8127 blue refills. They definitely retract a bit more into the pen (and protrude a little less) than the Parker style refills. Makes sense as they designed the pen around these refills.
    I'm not digging the 8126 refill..the .6mm size is scratchy when writing..the 8127 better.. but the ink bleeds...its not the same as a gel ink. They are not bad, just different. Luckily it fits my Easyflow refills..it fit and seems to retract just enough as to not protrude retracted like I was worried about.

I'm not that sold on the comfort yet.. I had gotten used to my smooth Retrakt; the EDK has less of a taper toward the
    point. And it has the grip rings (which look really nice against the tumbled finish) but seemed to get annoying after a long writing session. This all combines to make it feel fatter than the Retrakt when writing.. It definitely feels better when using the roller refills as opposed to the easyflow where you have to press harder.

For those wondering the Pilot G2 refills do not fit...the tip will not protrude...the refill bangs into something inside the nose.

14. grunch

grunch Loaded Pockets

I've had mine for a week. the refill that came with it is fine. I keep switching back and forth between it and the easy flow. Since I have a TT Shaker with an easyflow I like having the other refill in the EDK. I find the included refill (is it an 8126?) can skip a bit but the easyflow have always been prone to "railroading" in my experience. Neither is perfect, but both get the job done! I find I REALLY like the tumbled finish on the EDK - much more than the polished raw aluminum on my Shaker which has become nicely hand-tumbled in a year of daily use! And I like the overall shape. My biggest gripe is how high it protrudes from the pocket when clipped.

15. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

.."My biggest gripe is how high it protrudes from the pocket when clipped."

Yep, I call that the "reveal" ? It seems to be a KK trait...somedays I don't mind it but if I get a shirt pocket with a flap
    I wonder why they made it so much. I also have the Shaker but , surprisingly, never warmed to it even though it has
    a more stealth look in the pocket. The tumbled finish is cool.

I have 8127 refill in it now and will see how it goes...it puts a ton of ink on the page which is usually where I want it.

16. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Yes, I was disappointed to find this as well. The Pilot Juice refill (same size as the G2) works in the Retrakt, so I thought it would work in the EDK. I've got a blue/black Juice refill that I shortened with an Xacto knife that works perfect in the TT Shaker, but I found the same thing that you did - that the tip won't protrude in the EDK. I put a Monteverde blue/black extra fine point Parker-style refill in it, and I like that refill, but it's no Juice.

17. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

EDK at work.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

18. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I think if you work with gloved hands the edk is good. For myself in the office the grip rings cut into my hand too much. Such are the perils of buying pens on the internet.

19. BigDerp

BigDerp Loaded Pockets

The grip rings are digging into your hand? Is it leaving cut marks on your hand?

20. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

No cut marks no..haha. But I usually grip my pens pretty hard and the rings don't feel comfortable after a long session..if I grip a smooth finish pen after writing with the EDK I just say "ahhh". So to me the rings look awesome but don't lend to the comfort of the pen.