1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New KarasKustoms EDK pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by RMinNJ, Oct 13, 2015.

1. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

...it looks like a shorter version of the Retrakt with grip rings. If it takes Parker refills
    in addition to the 8126 I'm all in.

I wonder how comfortable the rings are though.. I have no problem with the smooth Retrakt ..I find the width/girth very comfortable to write with.

theirishboxer likes this.
  2. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Picture?

mercurialpissings likes this.
  3. mercurialpissings

mercurialpissings Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Regarding compatibility with Parker-style refills, pasting this from one of the comments:

It is designed completely for this refill (Schmidt P8126). It will accept a Parker Style refill, but the tip protrudes from the barrel a weird depth so visually it looks strange but it will work. Due to the relative short and fat nature of the P8126 there are not many other options for hacks on this pen.

Sent using Tapatalk

4. Bad Company

Thanks!

5. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

Such a fat boy!

6. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I've been drooling over this pen for a few days now since I first found it on their website. When will it be available? Anyone?? ......Bueller????

7. mercurialpissings

Yep, KK has been teasing pics in social media for a few weeks now. Said to be launched at Massdrop on the last week of October.

Sent using Tapatalk

8. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Latest karas news letter says it will be available on massdrop end of october?

I'm perplexed on the Parker tip not protruding properly...its the same length as an 8126 refill. On my retro51 the parker refills actually protrude a bit more than the 8126.

Sigh...what a let down.. I dont mind the tip being back a bit but if it only protrudes 3mm and the nose of the pen touches the paper ...

9. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

The 8126 refills have a smaller diameter bit at the very end, where Parker type refills are full thickness. Perhaps there's a cup in the knock mechanism that will accept the smaller diameter end of the 8126 but not the larger Parker end. That would mean that the Parker refill would carry a bit further forward in any position or something. There's a very good chance that I'm misunderstanding the info as well.

kertap75 likes this.
  10. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Massdrop? NO! I don't want to deal with them, I just want to order it from Karas Kustoms. It's been on KK's website for a week or so (that I know of), but it says "Out of stock." That would be disappointing if I have to go through Massdrop to get it, and I'm not sure that I would. God knows I don't need it, and if it's a hassle to order, I might just pass. I understand what they're doing trying to partner with MD to expand their customer base, but it sort of punishes their long-time supporters too.

11. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

I like it, but I'd want to run a Pilot G2 refill if I wasn't using a fountain pen... I'd like to see the regular Retrakt with the grooves for improved grip.

12. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I have the Bolt that uses the Pilot G2 refill, and it's way too long to be usable. If the EDK wound up being that long, I wouldn't be interested. If it was the same length as the Retrakt, I'd be in for that too.

Bad Company likes this.
  13. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I was just informed the Parker Style refills will extend too far from the nose..meaning retracted they will be too close to the tip.
    One could probably trim the refill a little or grind down the knock plunger. I think I'll pass on the EDK unless I suddenly like the 8126 refill over all others.

14. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Is the 8126 refill a gel? To many pen refills are gel for my uses. I can't use them at work since they smear all over the place on some of the stuff we write on.

15. mercurialpissings

You and me both. My primary refill is the Pilot Juice (same physical size as the G2). I have used the P8126 in the past and still have some refills but they're not really my cup of tea so I'm passing this EDK. In fact, I might have to pass Karas Kustoms pens for now. I have six and four of them have crooked clips not to mention the fact that all the clips are rough and uncomfortable. The threads get loose often too. Karas Kustoms needs a bit of work in their quality control imho. And they're in a position now to make new and better products but they're still stuck with their old ones while putting all their efforts in Social Media and contests to boost more sales. There's nothing wrong with boosting sales as long as you're not ignoring quality control and doing something to remedy the flaws and details of your products. The EDK is just using the top barrel of the Retrakt and the bottom barrel of the Bolt, shortened and added the spaced-out grip texture. Wake me up when KK decides to use Titanium and finely tuned machining work. To anyone who reads this and might feel displeased, don't get me wrong. I am a fan of machined pens so I just need to get some honest feedback across. :)

Sent using Tapatalk

kertap75 likes this.
  16. Bad Company

Mercurialpissings, I will have to agree with you.
    Will at Tactile Turn makes far superior products than the guys at KK.
    I used to have a Retrakt, but the pen kept unscrewing mid-body on its own.
    And, yes where are the titanium pens at?

17. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

kertap75
    The 8126 is a ceramic ball rollerball with a liquid rollerball ink. It's a very well loved refill (if you've ever had a Retro 51 Tornado, that's what came in it), but not gel. I don't know about its waterproofness or archival qualities.

I didn't like the one I tried. It was very nice when it was working right, but it was rarely working right. I probably got a dud but mine skipped. A lot.

ETA- If the Parker refill sits too far forward in the barrel in any position, I'd be willing to bet that the increased diameter of the end of the refill is why.

kertap75 likes this.
  18. BigDerp

BigDerp Loaded Pockets

The edk will take a fisher space refill. So I'm very interested in it. My retrakt is still going strong, but I'm thinking of jumping on the massdrop release.

19. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I'm in. If I don't like the 8126.. I'm willing to bet one can cut/hack a Pilot G2 to fit. I'm going to fit a parker style too.

20. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Waiting for mine to arrive.
    If others get theirs feel free to post impressions here.