1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New guy can't decide. Maxped Pygmy Falcon II or 5.11 Rush 12?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Jute, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Jute

Jute Loaded Pockets

Greetings EDC'ers, new guy here and I'm trying to decide on which of these 2 bags to get, the Maxped Pygmy Falcon II or 5.11 Rush 12? I'll be using the bag basically as a small EDC for my everyday items. I work as a pharmacist in a hospital and I am just looking for a bag to bring my EDC stuff back and for to work.

Right now I have the ever popular Maxped EDC Pocket Organizer with me but I am looking for a bag to carry this is in, along with my cell phone, camera, knives, flashlights, etc. The bag will also be used on weekends when I'm out and about in the urban jungle, so I'm not in need of large backpacks (not yet anyway! :laugh:)

I don't gear for the sling type bags as I find the shoulder straps to be a bit too wide as well as having them ride up against my neck. The problem I am having is the old "paralysis by analysis" disease. Just when I think I make up my mind I read something swaying me to the other bag. *Sigh* Any advice for an indecisive fellow like myself?

I've been lurking the forum and reading threads here for weeks! now and I'm still no better off at pulling the trigger on one of these bags. I believe there is a store some 30 miles from me that sells 5.11 gear so I'm going make a trip there to check them out.

I guess what I would really like to see is if there is anyone who has both if you could post pictures of the together. It would be much appreciated as it is difficult to compare the two when they are posted in different threads.

Thanks for you help.

2. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I own both of these bags and love them both. I will try to snap a photo tomorrow for visual comparison if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

I use my bags for different things so I can't really say that I prefer one over the other. I've done short trips (3 days max) away from home with the Rush 12 and it was perfect for me. I take the PF II on day hikes and such. The both function well for EDC too.

Right off the bat I can list my two main cons for each. The Rush 12 is a pet hair magnet. I swear that even if my cat walks down the hall and looks into the room I keep it in it gets some of her hair on it. As for the PF II I used it the other day for a trip to the library with my fiancee and loaded it with books. I have to say it is not very comfortable with a lot of weight in it.

Hope this helps. I will try to get those pictures.

3. little green bag

little green bag Loaded Pockets

I also own both of these bags since picking up a rush 12 last weekend.

For edc I would recommend the rush due to organization, for hiking and outdoor activities I would recommend the pygmy for its simplicity and the 2 external mesh pockets.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

4. Gray_Pierce

Gray_Pierce Loaded Pockets

----

get the rush 12...it has much better organization...i owned both products and the rush 12 came out the winner...:agree:

5. Doric

Doric Loaded Pockets

I wasn't really in the market for a rush 12, but wanted another bag to go along w/ my PFII. But your words have convinced to me snag the one i've been eyeing over on the bst.

6. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

Side by side. I have a 5.11 strobe pouch (?) on my Rush 12 to hold a small FAK and I took the shock cord off the PF II in anticipation of doing some mods.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Neither bag is completely loaded up at the moment because I'm reassessing for some upcoming travel but here are some low quality shots of the internal organization in the front pockets of both bags. I agree with the other comment that the organization on the 5.11 is better for EDC. The front pocket on the PFII is really deep and roomy though. I have my Maxped Mini Organizer in there in that photo.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

As far as the main compartment goes I really like the two mesh pockets in the Rush. The PF II only has a little zippered pocket and a slip pocket. The outermost zippered pocket on the PF II is deep and can hold quite a bit while the Rush has a smaller zippered pocket at the top front and a soft lined sunglasses/electronics pocket up by the grab handle. The Rush has a water bladder pocket, but I've never used it.

7. Jute

Jute Loaded Pockets

able-man-

Thank you so much for posting pictures of the two bags as it helped me make up my mind. I was leaning towards the Rush as I felt it would be better for EDC b/c of all its internal organization. Now the only issue is to decide which color. Have you seen anything by 5.11 in their Sandstone color? I was just wondering what shade of khaki it leans towards, green or yellow?

It's been great to get back in the forums tonight, been without power for 3 days now b/c of Irene. I was kind of jonesing to get my internet fix!

8. Force Attuned

Force Attuned Loaded Pockets

Both good bags.

I have the Rush 24 and love it.

9. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

The only 5.11 stuff I have is black and I've never seen the other colors in person so I can't help you on that one. Maybe someone will see this and chime in though.

10. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

The 5.11 sandstone leans more to the green side compared to Maxpedition. I have the 5.11 in black and love it. I also have the Falcon II which is a great bag that my son uses on scout campouts as his day pack.

11. little green bag

little green bag Loaded Pockets

My new sandstone rush 12, is the exact same color as maxpeditions current khaki color.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

12. Introspect

Introspect Loaded Pockets

I've owned my Pygmy Falcon II for a couple months and love it. However tonight I caved after seeing this thread and ordered it a new Rush 12 to keep it company!

13. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

You won't be sorry. As far as smaller packs go they make great companions.

14. Jute

Jute Loaded Pockets

I'm going to pull the trigger on a Rush 12 next week. I really want to see the Sandstone color in person first, as I'm leaning in that direction. The only store in the area that has 5.11 gear is only open from 9-5 M-F so its kind of tough getting there during working hours. However I did see this thread and think the bag in Sandstone is really sharp!

15. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

Can you give us some comparison pics?

16. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

I own the PFII and I cannot recommend it if you are hoping for good organization. It's more of a large-item backpack. On the other hand, I didn't get the 5.11 12 because I think it's UGLY!

17. gremlin078

gremlin078 Loaded Pockets

I've been considering these two bags myself. Does the Rush 12 have the pocket on the side to hold a Nalgene or am I confusing it with its bigger brothers?

18. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

No pockets on the sides, though you can mount them.

I have a 12, and for the money this is a great bag.

19. Jute

Jute Loaded Pockets

Something else I need to consider with these two bags is, which one would be better for single shoulder carry? I'm not talking hours on end or through trials and such, in which both straps would be used, but rather just out and about for short periods of time. This was mentioned to me by another member and it was something I really hadn't thought through. Any opinions would appreciated.

20. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I don't know that either bag is better for carrying this way. I just picked both of mine up and did a test and they both seemed fine carried on one shoulder.