1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New gun debate sig or sig?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Tropicheat, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Tropicheat

Tropicheat Loaded Pockets

I'm buying a new gun, it will be for :censored:/TEOTWAWKI , home defense and carry(only if I feel I need more than my CM9).

I currently have a sig sp2022 in 9mm for this but I want an all steel gun just a personal preference. I had a kimber tactical 2 that I had to get rid off a while back due to hard times I used some of the money to buy the sp2022. I have since fell in love with sig but I also never stopped loving that 1911. So I can't decide between a new p229 sas gen 2 and the Sig 1911 fastback nightmare. Lol both are completely reliable and excellent guns. I'm down the middle as both have ups and downs but neither more than the other. Ill end up with both, but it will be at least a year maybe longer for me to get the second one. So opinions on which first?

2. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

If you're married, which one does your significant other shoot better?

In TEOTWAWKI having both guns in 9mm means one less caliber to stock.

ac7ss likes this.
  3. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

If set on Sig, go with the P229. There are companies that do the 1911 better namely Colt and Springfield. The classic P series guns are good to go, but you may want to look around for a short extractor rather than the more problematic long.

defuse kit likes this.
  4. Tropicheat

Tropicheat Loaded Pockets

I
    I hadn't thought of that. The wife likes the ruger Sp101 I got her she shoots .38 sp.

5. lnytunes

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

I'm a Sig guy myself and was torn between the 226 and a little more compact 229. I chose the 226 with no regrets, since I live in a non-carry state, I didn't need the compact size. From your choices, I would choose the 229.

6. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I'm under the impression that sig's 1911 uses many proprietary parts. Not being able to use whatever parts I want for a 1911 seems kinda limiting. That and I have small hands and LOVE the way the P229 fits makes this one an easy recommendation for me.

7. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Thats a tough one, but I'll say get the 1911. And the reason being that if you're going to get another Sig 9mm for TEOTWAWKI, I'd buy another 2022 so, not only are they the same caliber, but magazines are interchangeable as are parts. Also, the P229 SAS Gen2 is an aluminum framed pistol as are the majority of the P series guns.

8. xj5x

xj5x Loaded Pockets

P229 all the way. Personally I'd either buy what i have now +threaded barrel or the elite

Ktowngunner likes this.
  9. Ktowngunner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ktowngunner Loaded Pockets

I'd say 229, if you want a 1911 go with a springfield or other "true" 1911 company. I love sigs, they are a great choice! If you can swing it, try to pick up a used elite 229. I absolutely love my 220 elite. The beaver tail makes a HUGE difference, especially for my huge hands. I have a high grip and get bit all the time, the beavertail is a life saver. And the Short Reset Trigger (SRT) makes a big difference in quicker follow up shots. It's worth saving up for! Just remember, no matter what you get TRAIN the snot out of that gun till you can run it upside down blindfolded and clear any malfunction with your eyes closed. The gun is only as good as you can run it. Both of the guns you're looking at are fantastic choices.

Gnarly likes this.
  10. wfochris

wfochris Loaded Pockets

They're bulky guns to me for concealed carry, but darn do I love the sig P226. I can't help but throw a vote to the glock 36 though :)

11. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

What Ktown said.

The 229 Elite is named that for a reason.
    Absolutely superior, for exactly the reasons he listed.

Ktowngunner likes this.
  12. Goju

Goju Loaded Pockets

For that kind of money, stop dicking around with 2nd tier guns and get a P7M8 :)