1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

NEW GERBER: Gerber Artifact

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by RGNY, May 13, 2008.

1. fresnorich

fresnorich Empty Pockets

I received the two Gerber Artifacts that I ordered from Amazon.com
    [​IMG]
    and I’ve been carrying one of them for a couple days now,
    [​IMG]
    mostly while connected to my Fenix E01.
    [​IMG]
    It fits my hand well,
    [​IMG]
    and it is nice and slim.
    [​IMG]
    The blade lock works nicely,
    [​IMG]
    and the “cross driver” works okay with some screw sizes, but it could use a bit more bite for others.
    [​IMG]
    It comes with a few extra blades, and it’s comfortable to hold and work with when opened.
    [​IMG]
    I haven’t had a chance to use the pry bar/wire stripper or the bottle opener (unfortunately), but it feels like a very solid little tool.
    [​IMG]
    I did notice that the torx screws aren’t perfectly flush with the blade lock, and on the back side of the tool one of the screw rivots is flush with the tool, while the other is slightly indented.
    [​IMG]
    Also, the finish on the plastic thumbrest for the blade is already wearing from contact with the E01.
    [​IMG]
    Opening the blade one handed takes very little practice, although I did nearly cut myself on my first attempt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Overall, I think so far, I’m very happy with this tool, especially for the money. This is my first tool of this nature and it does leave me sort of wanting an Atwood, but I think I’ll carry this one for awhile and see how much use I can get out of it before I spring for something much more expensive.
    [​IMG]

2. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

My Gerber Artifact came in a small box, but didn't have any spare blades. It's not an Atwood by any means, but a decent keychain tool for the price.

3. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome to EDCF, fresnorich! :highfive:

4. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome to EDC Forums, fresnorich. Thanks for the photos. Good first post.

5. spiritof76

spiritof76 Loaded Pockets

Looks good, fresnorich. I guess I'll spring for one. I've never been one to pay big bucks for simple tools, no matter how finely crafted, which is why I generally don't read the Atwood threads. The Artifact looks like it's more up my alley and with the knife and Phillips, looks like it would get a lot more daily use.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that it could be easily made TSA compliant by removing the blade. Then when you get to your destination, just buy some new X-Acto blades, which are quite inexpensive. I know that's not an issue with Atwoods, but how many SAKs have met premature farewells from their devoted owners at airport security?

6. fresnorich

fresnorich Empty Pockets

Here's the back side of the packaging that shows how to replace the blade:

[​IMG]

7. spiritof76

Yeah, I finally noticed that your eighth picture actually does show the other side of the open knife, so I saw that the mechanism was similar to what my old Gerber MultiPlier Scout 600 used for the saw blade. I'll have to wait a bit to get one, since nobody seems to have them in stock right now. Do they come with regular X-Acto blades, or stainless ones? I should hope stainless since outdoor tools like this tend to pick up rust fast and the stainless blades don't cost much more.

One thing I don't understand is why they have so much of the blade exposed when it's closed. It would have been easy to reduce the open area.

8. fresnorich

fresnorich Empty Pockets

I guess I'm not seeing too much resemblance. The Atwood appears to be flat, while the Gerber is more curved and sculpted. The pry end also seems to be flat on the Atwood, while the Gerber is bent like a traditional pry bar. The Atwood has two same-sized tips on the end of the pry bar for flat head screws, while the Gerber has two different sized flat head tips. Both can be used as wire strippers/nail pullers. They both also have bottle openers, but the designs are not that similar with the Gerber having more of a pronounced tooth. The "cross driver" on the Gerber is unlike anything Atwood has designed, as is the lanyard hole. The biggest difference between the two has to be the replaceable/lockable folding hobby knife blade which is a far cry from anything Atwood has done. Finally, the materials and craftsmanship are very different as well (and so is the price).

9. MattR

MattR Loaded Pockets

I gave some thoughts on the previous topic as well. Thought I would add some here too.

My first question is, at what point when a company like Gerber or any for that matter wants to market a new little tool will people not call "dirty pool" because some part of it resembles one of Atwoods beloved tools. Peter Atwood has made so many tools at this point with so many variations, it would be almost impossible to design something like Gerber did with the Artifact that didnt resemble some kind of Atwood somwhere.

The only thing on the artifact has that resembles a prybaby is the what 1/2" of the forked tip at the end and bottle opener?

What is everyones thoughts on the other fellas on here that have been identified as making pry-type or keychain size blades. Ray Raker? And the other fellow Virgo, and his small blades very similar to an Atwood Imp or Skeeter?

I dont see any wrong doing here. As said before maybe Gerber got inspiration from Atwood, but its not a blatant copy. Nor is it hurting Atwoods business. I have to say unless there are any specific legalities involved, leave it alone. Its a cool little tool for someone who cant get an Atwood or doesnt want to pay the rediculous markups people put on their Atwoods for sale in the aftermarket. Which is just silly I have to say, but thats another topic. Off the soap box.

I'll buy one if I can find it at a brick and mortar soon.

Matt

10. itsrob

itsrob Empty Pockets

Actually both tools have the bent pry end. Sorry that's not totally clear from the photo. I agree that anyone making a keychain prybar/bottle opener is going to resemble an atwood tool, and I don't think its going to cut into atwood's market. Obviously I've purchased both.

I'd actually really like it if Peter would adopt a phillips tip for some of his designs.

11. fresnorich

fresnorich Empty Pockets

I was looking at the pic again after I wrote that thinking, "Maybe that Atwood is bent." But it seems like most of the other examples I've seen didn't have the bent end on the pry tool.

12. ninjaboigt

ninjaboigt Loaded Pockets

13. ninjaboigt

ninjaboigt Loaded Pockets

*sigh* welll this thing does look like the prybaby, and i dont like arguements, but let me just point something out

atwoods, are expensive for what their worth, i understand that they are handmade, i would love a atwood, but i just dont see it being worth 50+

and when i do find one that i do like and think is worth spending 50+ on, it is already sold out! =\

i think this gerber will give some people like me a channce to have something close to a atwood, and IF i even buy one, i'd probably either wrap tape around the knife or just take out the blade cuzz that sure does look dangerous in my pocket, there will probably be a recall on this one for the blade LOL so be careful.

14. big payback

big payback Empty Pockets

If Mr. Atwood dosen't get his lawyers on this, or sign with a mass - producer of cutlery soon, and use their lawyers, his brilliant ideas will be readily available on the desk of every hardware store for 3.99 made of crappily anodized aluminum., I am sure if something is not done soon, a purple, poorly stamped, coating already flaking, pry baby and funny bone will be in the P.O.P shelf at Home Despot, right next to all the other crap.

I want to see mass-produced Atwood tools at a reasonble price with the backing of a big company. It comes down to this, do it to them before they do it to you. I know i am not purchasing te personally crafted, unique gems that are your current mainstay, when I go to the hunting store, or Wal-Mart, and by a "name branded" Peter Atwood design. I dont expect the fit, finish, quality of materials, or workmanship that your current line provides. But I also dont expect it to be thermoplastic windshield scraper with a hobby blade stuck into it.

Before it all goes to crap, throw the peasants a bone Mr. Atwood, and licence out a few of your designs to someone like Spyderco, CRKT, Kershaw, A.G. Russell, or even open your own line of mass-produced tools.
    I will end this diatribe by saying I love your work, think you are a gifted tool designer, a superb machinist, and hope you do even better in the future. I just wish I could actually get a chance to pay a reasonable price for a piece of Atwood functionality.

15. fshalor

fshalor Loaded Pockets

My biggest concern would be Gerber going after Atwood over this. It's been done, and it's low.

I can't look at a single picture of an Atwood without thinking I wouldn't mind having one. And I don't even carry keychain tools. (Which is probably the only reason why I haven't bought a few.)

I also agree with those that mentioned this isn't going to effect Atwood's market much. If anything, I believe it may help.

How many of you have looked at a top end product (Surefire's for example) said to youself "Ah, they're just too expensive. I'll just buy this other product first that has the same specs on paper and see if it does the job." and then gone and bought something from the top end manufacturer a few weeks later anyway.

With flashlights, there are crap, moderate lights with some issues, good useful lights at moderate prices, and high end lights at stout prices.

With keytools like this, the market hasn't filled in yet. I think Atwood's pricing scheme isn't hight enough to price himself out of the market if the middle tiers become populated.

Thinking back, I have a Surefire L1, L2 and E1 franken light. I've purchased several Fenix lights for friends and family (they all love them) and some streamlights. Before that, I owned a M@g light for every car. I also have a drawer of gordon and led lenser lights which never held up, and a so-so ultrafire with a completely failed tail clicky.

I'm not sure I ever would have gone to the surefire's if I hadn't had the $5.00 lights and had them fail on me. And I'm sure some will get an Artifact, love it and break it. And some of those will not just buy a new one, they will look for something as functional but better.

16. killdozer

killdozer Loaded Pockets

I got one, too heavy, ugly, and my locking blade broke before I could EDC it (the locking mechanism, not the blade). The exacto knives can be changed out which is useful. Still I don't plan on replacing it.
    -Mat

17. spiritof76

I picked one up. Doesn't seem that heavy to me, but then again I don't have an Atwood to compare it to. The locking mechanism isn't the greatest. The spring does tend to pop up too far in the locked position. But I don't like to force things, so I quickly learned to press the spring down with my thumb before trying to close the blade and it won't break. With the X-Acto blade, it'll get much more use in my life than a simple prybar would. I'd rather carry something I use every day rather than something that doesn't get used for weeks at a time. Have to pick up some of the stainless #11 blades, though. They're only a little bit more expensive than the carbon steel blades, should be resharpenable and won't rust in my sweaty pocket.

18. piney12

piney12 Empty Pockets

As mentioned before, I doubt it Mr Atwood is losing any sleep over
    this tool. You get what you pay for and all that.

The two markets just do not intersect at all IMHO

19. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

I got an Artifact yesterday. It cost me $10 from Amazon, and since I had a few books on the order, I got free shipping.

I think that this is one heck of a great tool, especially for the price. I have often wanted a way to carry an X-Acto style blade, but have never really found a good way until I got this.

I don't understand how people are having problems with the blade lock. Maybe I got a good one, but mine locks up solid, with no play in either axis. The blade holder captures the blade with no play either. As for coming open in your pocket, again, I don't see it. It takes a deliberate action to get mine to deploy, which is appropriate, since this is not a blade you would ever need to deploy rapidly in a tactical situation.

I am quite pleased with the Artifact. Time will tell if it holds up, but I think it will.

20. David.s

David.s Loaded Pockets

Think i might get my self one of these.

As for the whole copying thing from Mr Atwood, at the end of the day most companies do it, yes it would have been polite to ask first but really what mass companies do ?.
    and Atwood tools arent always available i mean how many people on here have loads of them and lot of them are still in the bag not getting used. so all gerber is doing is making a tool people want, readily available at a much cheaper price, with more functions(albeit may not be amazing but for about £6, what do you expect)