1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New for Leatherman 2010

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Manatakui, Nov 10, 2009.

1. bjjprepared

bjjprepared Loaded Pockets

when will i be able to see what leatherman has new for 2010?

2. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Ooooooo! I like the PS4 - both pliers and scissors on a Squirt! It's about time. Very well chosen tools: pliers, scissors, straight edge, Phillips, file, and knife. Honestly, I would prefer another tool to the knife, such as tweezers, a nail file, or a mini bottle opener, but it's still a great design. No weird tools that are unlikely to get used.

4. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

The tool that's partially hidden by the scissors should be the bottle opener, unless they've decided to create a new tool with one less function that fits in the bottle opener place, which I doubt they did. :)

5. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I may pick up a PS4 if it's mid $20 price range. I kind of miss my P4 that my wife confiscated several years ago. But I wouldn't paid $30+ for a tool like this, which is what the suggested retail will probably be out of the gates.

6. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

I was looking forward to seeing pics of the PS4 as a potential upgrade to the P4 on the tool loop. Definate lack of scissors in the EDC at present. So it looks like a choice of scissors, or mini screwdriver and awl on the P4 vs PS4, and they've still kept the chisel grind on the PS4 blade from the looks of it.

*ponders*

Hmmm, might keep the p4 and supplement with a Victorinox Classic ... OR ... ditch the P4 AND the pocketed SAK (Tourist) and get a LM Juice.

You know, I've been thinking for a while that my most desiderd "Leatherman" is a Vic Swisstool X, and my most desired "SAK" lis a LM Juice XE6 !!! How wrong is that???
    Next I'll be drooling over Gransfors Bruks slipjoint axes or something.

My brain hurts almost as much as my wallet !!!

7. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

That Style looks cool, very sleek. The tool set reminds me of a small SAK like the classic or the Ambassador. Could be a very nice keychain tool, depending on its size.

8. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

:iagree:
    That could solve my little dilemma. I'd like to know what the blade grind is first though.
    It does look quite promising

9. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

From the pictures I assume it's the same blade as on the Squirt models. So its most likely going to be a chisel-grind.

Edit: Little afterthought... Are there rumors about new mid-size or full-size tools?

10. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

I like the PS4 ... I 'll have to pick that one up when it becomes available.

11. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

Full-size may be a slight understatement; the Leatherman MUT is due to release in autumn, and is LEO/Military-intended multitool for servicing AR-15 and M-16 rifles; MSRP for SS is $150, with the BO with cap crimper higher.]

12. Golden

Golden Loaded Pockets

The leatherman MUT looks awesome, would be an excellent tool to bring to the range- but not really a useful EDC item unless you backpack a disassembled AR-15 :idiot2:

13. broggie

broggie Empty Pockets

Hmmm, might keep the p4 and supplement with a Victorinox Classic ...

That's what I did. I had 3 Classic SD's, so I redesigned one. No digital camera so I have no pix.
    What I did was:
    1) removed the scales, filed and peened the brass pins to reduce thickness.
    2) ground the screwdriver tip to a point to use as a fingernail cleaner.
    3) ground and filed the knife blade into an "orange peeler/cut & pick" blade like the one on the Minichamp. (I love oranges)
    4) left the scissors alone...I use them a lot.

14. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

May not for most of us but it was designed by military personnel for the military. Its a really neat tool that has a ton of functions. Got a chance to see one at SHOT, here are some impression

It has the LM Supertool 300 style jaws with the replaceable wire cutters. Made with 420 stainless steel

Bronze carbon scraper (replaceable) and a punch which can be removed (and also replaced) and when the punch is removed you can thread a cleaning rod onto the base. The brochure mentions the rod can be threaded to other areas of the tool.

Integrated rescue hook with replaceable blade with a hammer on the flat side. The outside tip of the cutter doubles as the bolt override tool

Much like the Skeltool and Wave, the knife and saw are on the outside of the handles so they can be accessed without opening the tool. On the end of the handle is a bit holder like the Skeletool. The MUT will come with 3 bits, 2 double sided flat/phillips and 1 combo torx/hex. All the bits can store inside the handle for quick access. The bits are not the same type that is currently available, they are longer (about 2-3 in long)

Can be carried 3 ways, clip, Skeletool carbainer hook, or the included MOLLE sheath. The shealth has a little holder in the back for a wrench (1/2 and 3/8 openings) so you can adjust your optics and such on your gun.

15. DArtagnan

DArtagnan Empty Pockets

aaaaand a new Link with highres pics

LINKLINK

I espescially dig the Style -Version but the Style CS -Version looks cool too. :rolleyes:

16. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Excellent find!

17. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Very impressive, the MUT... hope a "civilian", not so gun-specific version appears. Any ideas for it?
    Most likely, the bronze scraper replaced by another blade (metal file/saw? Not much point for a second knife blade with this main half-serrated one, and rescue cutting is covered by hook).
    Somehow, keep the awl/punch. At the very least, make an awl bit.
    Wonder if the bit holder is for flat bits only or maybe it accepts standard hex? No photos so far showed the end of handle.
    Hammer could have a nail-puller claw, the shape will provide leverage.
    Does the carabiner hook lift bottle caps? It's got to be much wider than on Skeletools, so I'm not quite sure.
    A civilian version will need a can opener - no more tool-opened foodstuffs in the army any longer, but we peaceful folks still use cans without tabs.

18. nevermas

nevermas Loaded Pockets

will be picking up the new es4 when it is available.

the carabiner on the mut is also a bottle opener, but no can opener

19. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

closest tool to the MUT would be the Super Tool 300

20. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Could be.