1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Fenix E01 V2

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by bryan123, Jul 30, 2020.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Newly announced. Looks like it won't do a candle stand like the E05.

I'll stick with my E05 unless anyone can point out a compelling reason to pick one up.

2. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

I saw your post and got excited. I loved the E01. Nothing else could touch it for runtime and it still gave off enough light to be able to light your way if needed. When I clicked on the fenix page for it......definitely disappointed. I feel like they are trying to compete with Olight on the I3e in the $10-15 market. I'm sure they'll still sell plenty of them but I don't know that I'll invest. Maybe this will lead to other versions of it down the road but I feel like this new version defeats the purpose of the old one. Everything now is lumens lumens lumens. I guess I'm just a runtime guy but I'd rather have had it do 20 lumens for 10-12 hrs instead of 100 for 50 minutes. I'm sure a lithium cell will give longer runtime regardless and that would probably be the way to go for your AAA battery. I realize it has 3 modes but I think that's a bit overkill. The E01 was a simple light and it didn't need multiple modes. I apologize for being grumpy. I just got excited and then let down. Hopefully others will be more excited about it and I hope the product does well.

jackknife likes this.
  3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I'm not that excited about it, either. They're obviously trying to carve out a place for themselves in that niche, but if they're going to 3 modes, I'd rather see a mechanical tail switch...and a clip. Just my 2 cents worth since they may be taking pennies out of circulation soon..:)

jcwagers likes this.
  4. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Totally agree!!!!!

As a longtime E01 user and still have one on the keyring, I don't need it. The old E01 had enough light to get it done by, and I LOVED the run time! Fenix needs to stop screwing around and just make a small inexpensive and SIMPLE flashlight.

jcwagers likes this.
  5. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I’m with you all. The E01 has been my preferred backup light for several years. Simple, reliable and long runtime. I may pick up a V2 to see how it performs on 5 lumens, but it won’t be replacing any of my E01’s.

jcwagers likes this.
  6. MichiganMan

MichiganMan Loaded Pockets

The one flaw of my otherwise perfect PD25 is that it can't do a tail stand, despite the fact that the aluminum chassis is clearly designed for it. Its only thwarted by the rubber tailcap button that extends just far enough to make standing it up on its tail impossible. This is so effective at preventing an obvious use that I have to believe its intentional. Wildly speculating, I almost wonder if its some kind of patent issue that Fenix doesn't want to pay licensing for on some lights.

7. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Unless I am REALLY missing something, they need to refrain from using the phrase "Rotary Switch Operation" for "Twist Operation."

A PD40R has "Rotary Switch Operation."

Unless, you are buying to collect or this is an early purchase that you like for aesthetic purposes, I expect there are better choices to be found.

ATB,
    Sam

Tesla likes this.
  8. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

I placed an order for three of these using NEWMEMBER2020 at their website (black are supposed to ship tomorrow). I have two of my original three E01's left (one had a Kirkland battery leak and destroy it) and realized, I didn't need three more little keychain lights. I use the Nitecore Tube as a keychain light and prefer it over the original E01's although there was an elegance to their design. I wrote this morning asking to cancel the order. With the coupon code, 3 are just $31 and change delivered however so if they don't cancel it (if it's too late), I'll be fine having them around.

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Did you see the Sofirn C1? It lived a very short life before it was "improved" to a 3-mode light, and I missed it.

10. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

To be honest, I did not. I've been out of the light loop a bit honestly. I guess "improved" is all in the eye of the beholder. lol

11. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

I received the new lights today and I am impressed. I still like the original version but these have far more options (including a long runtime on low). Certainly worth the current $13 price (cheaper if you use the code I posted upthread). I would like to see a bigger split ring however. The ones included are too small IMO.

12. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

I'm guessing that this is a replacement for the E05, and they will make the E05 an E06 or E10, with a button switch. Just a guess.

I signed up on their website years ago and still haven't used the new member code they gave me - maybe this would be a good light to use it for.

13. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

I also ordered three E05s. I like twist switches. I have both styles but for casual use, I prefer the twist. I also have my old Gladius, a Fenix PD36r, a pair of Olight i3t EOS's, and a couple Fenix E12s. All of the Fenix's have been at 20% off with no tax and free shipping and the Olights were bought during an Amazon flash sale.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Count me in on twisty vs tail-button tap. I've had several that I just could not for the life of me really calibrate just how hard or not to tap.... Most notably the Streamlight Microstream USB. Sorry I bought into it. Old Microstream easier for me to use and hence more usable...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

15. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

Nice to have another member of the tribe here. My Hebrew name is Chaim.

Wishoot likes this.
  16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Shavua Tov!

Moshe ben David

17. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Might consider getting one. I've always wanted another Fenix keychain type light. This is pretty similar to the E05, so I'm expecting that to be discontinued and maybe updated soon.

I like this format for my keys as a twisty rarely comes on in my pocket and AAA batteries are pretty ubiquitous. Not being able to tail stand isn't a dealbreaker for me; it just lives on the keys.

Of course, the 5 lumen low would have been better as a 1 lumen or less. I have no idea why Fenix is so reluctant to add moonlight modes. A few models have it. My old CL05 was a single AAA with a one lumen mode...don't know why this is not.

18. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I actually picked one up not long ago. Great build quality, silky smooth threads. 3 modes is nice. Wish low mode was 1 or less lumens. Can't tail stand but if its primarily staying on your keys, it shouldn't be a problem. With a light this small, it makes no difference to me. I have plenty of other lights big and small that can tail stand if needed.

Nice broad beam for its size and a bit of throw was well. Not bad for the price. I picked it up primarily as a simple light for my keys that will survive for many years, so hopefully this fits the bill.