1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

new edc ?!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by chrisfarms, Jun 27, 2012.

1. chrisfarms

chrisfarms Loaded Pockets

sog flash 2 or eskabar? maybe a kershaw whirlwind
    need something for a good reliable edc
    Hate my kershaw oso sweet and cant carry my 110 anymore

2. Bosman

Bosman Loaded Pockets

Check out Spyderco.

3. chrisfarms

witch model? i used to have a tenacious but sold it, didnt care too much for it
    im in the 40ish $ range

4. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Spyderco delica!! It's a great knife. Frn handles, vg-10 steel, ffg!! The whole package!!!!

ATF628 likes this.
  5. jb2

jb2 Empty Pockets

I had this one for a long time I think it's a clipit from spyderco. I've had others but still go back to this one.[​IMG]

6. chrisfarms

im leaning towards the flash 2

7. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

You'll just need to go through what you want like everyone else. Trial and error/hit and miss, whatever you want to call it. $40 bucks gives you a wide range of potential mistakes.

8. chrisfarms

yea and after having and returning a bit of stuff im kinda tired of it, i went through a tenacious kershaw skyline a crkt drifter a byrd cara cara 2 a cold steel pendleton lite and currently have a oso sweet and hate it

9. chrisfarms

sog is assisted... i cant stand assisted knives they suck

10. hatchetjack

You won't know till you have it in hand and use it for awhile. Same thing happens with $400 dollar knives too.

mooshisho likes this.
  11. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Excuse me, Chrisfarms, but would you please let us know what it is about the previously owned knives that you do and do not like? What more are you trying to get from your knife? You'd overlooked this request prior and continued on purchasing knives only to be unsatisfied. Plenty of suggestions were given to you and many knives were purchased since you'd first appeared here on EDCF. So how about giving some more information as to what MORE you want from the knives that weren't up-to-par so that we could better recommend knives? It seems that every couple of weeks there's another thread requesting recommendations in the "mid-range." With all of the knives that you've accumulated, would you consider going up in budget? (Or are you just selling all of those knives off and continuing to get mid-range knives??)

These questions include things like blade shape, length, handle material, blade material... Anything and everything that would give us a better indication as to where you're even leaning toward. Based on past threads, I really can't tell what direction you're trying to get at (except the fixed blade one. That thread was pretty straight forward).

All I can recall from your previous requests was that you wanted something that was "reliable" (relative term, here), something you could use to PRY at work (which was suggested against), and something that would be a beater knife in the case that something happens to it at work. I also recall that you didn't like that the blade of the Kershaw Leek was too "thin" and didn't look like it could hold up to the abuse. How did that Enlan work out for you other than you wanting an axis lock to play with?

sveqs, jph0200, Lightnig and 6 others like this.
  12. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Give the Kershaw Scallion a try. Also the Leek. Both can be had for under $40. I still frequently carry my Scallion with my ZT0350

ChrisJ likes this.
  13. hatchetjack

So then why are you considering it?

14. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ And WHY do they suck? What makes you not want an assisted? I'm not trying to convince you to get an assisted knife in any way, but what's the reasoning behind it?

PS. Couldn't the spring just be taken out?

15. chrisfarms

i like the enlan and bee i have there fun to place with, kinda heavy to be in my pocket though there nearly 5oz and its heavy.
    Spyderco tenacious - felt awkward in the hand and bulky
    Kershaw skyline - handle was too thin
    byrd cara cara 2 - came with a ton of blade play out the box (was prob just a dud but it made me against the knife)
    crkt drifter was small

I want around a 4oz non assisted folder that will be in the middle for blade retention and sharpenability, hold a edge for a okay amount of time and not be real hard to sharpen, 8cr13mov is a decent steel but seems to dull pretty quick, my buck 110 420 hc seems to be a good steel and it seems to work good but i rarely wear a belt so it doesnt come with me much, had a gerber for a while and that steel seemed to be very easily dulled.
    Had a cold steel pendleton lite lived the aus 8 steel but the knife was a bit bulky and the sheath sucked, i use it for cutting stuff for dinner and lunch now lol

Assisted knives are just a pain in the :censored: too me, it opening like that just seems to make people look at makes closing more difficult

mooshisho likes this.
  16. chrisfarms

didnt no it was until just a minute ago

17. chrisfarms

i suppose ill up my budget like 20-30 bucks to like 60 or 70 maybe 80, if itll help and make finding a better knife much easier..
    just please dont reccomend an endura/delica, my cosuin has a blue endura and iv used it a bit and just dont like the design

18. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

There was something about Benchmade that you didn't like too, but I can't remember what... are you just going to stay away from that brand or did you end up getting that blue Mini Grip for about $60 that you'd found before?

;) Just looking at these specs before the blade material then...
    • Other than the weight, were you happy with the overall shape/ergonomics of the Enlan/Bee?
    • Was the overall design bulky or was the blade thick? (I feel it's both, but that's my personal opinion on that knife; I don't like most of Spyderco's "bump" where the spydie hole is - doesn't fit in my pockets very well)
    • The Skyline was thin in which way? The material itself was thin or was the width too thin? How was the handle length on that for you?
    • Byrd Cara Cara 2: If you had fixed the pivot point and there was no blade play, would you have changed anything else about that knife? Would you had otherwise been "completely" happy about it?
    • Other than the size of the CRKT drifter, was there anything wrong with it? (I'm assuming by "size" you meant the overall and/or blade length?)

19. hatchetjack

All I can say is you need to find this on your own. Good luck.

20. chrisfarms

I liked the size of the bee el-04 perfect and the weight wouldnt be so bad if they didnt put such thick steel liners in it.
    the kershaw skyline was too thin width wise i have fairly big hands im a 6'4 male, if the cara cara 2 was better made the size and ergos felt decent i wouldnt say perfect.
    The drifter felt handle wise too small, i just talked with my gf and she told me its alright if i spend 100$ (never thought she would but she is the 1 who made the number i just asked how much)
    so 100 is my budget