1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New EDC pen - Ti Pocket Pro

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by bj warkentin, Apr 3, 2017.

1. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

New titanium pocket carry pen from BigIDesign. It incorporates the idea of the adjustable clutch in the nose to adapt to most diameters of refills, has a telescoping barrel to deal with refill length, and a clip on the very top to proper deep pocket carry. Similar to the TI Arto, which I have and really like except it is a capless design, for true one handed operation, with no cap to loose or have to post.

Basically a durable, pocket friendly all metat pen that accepts just about any refill.... Whats not to like?

Comes in two finishes; raw tumbled titanium, and black DLC coated titanium.

Launched this morning on Kickstarter and already has 971 backers for a total of $68,800, of a $5000 goal so you know it will get made.

I have a number of BigIDesign products, mostly pens and they are all solid, well built products. I would back any of their projects without hesitation.

Novix likes this.
  2. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Was the 23rd backer - clicked the link in the email to see there were already 15 backers, and I suppose by the time I clicked to pledge, 7 others were in the process and snuck in there...

They just keep on innovatin' - it'd be neat if they created just some super end-all-be-all writing instrument, so then I could just be one-and-done with their creations.

:cool:

3. bj warkentin

Did not check my email until this afternoon and am backer 900 and something. I do wish they would branch out from titanium, and add in copper. The DLC is new for them I think. So now I have to decide, raw, DLC, or add a second pen and get both.

Am excited about the mechanism, since I love the Ti Arto except for the fact that it is a threaded cap design.

I think my grail would be something like the Pocket Pro, done by Tactile Turn in thick walled copper. I like the clip design on the latest BigIDesign pens, and the mechanism innovations, but prefer the heft and the grip design of the Mover.

Not sure about the done part... there is always room for one more candidate, in the quest for the one true pen, though I did carry a spacepen for over 20 years. Finally had it with the crappy ink; gels like the Pilot G2 just write _so_ much better. Have not found a great pocket pen replacement yet. Currently have a OHTO Tasche. Love the way it writes, and the length with the cap posted, but find the body diameter too small for more that jotting a quick note.

4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Wow, someone finally figured out that for a pen to really accept multiple refills you need to adjust for tip width!! I've seen one too many 'multi' pens that wobble with just about every possible setup. NICE! Will keep my eye on this one.

5. Novix

Novix Loaded Pockets

Just saw this and backed it, 1281 was my number. I didn't see the fisher refill on there... but I'm guessing it will still work as it is one of the popular ones... Thanks for the insight to this one !!!!

6. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

Yes, the Fisher refill is listed. Fisher refills will always work in any pen that accepts "Parker style" refills as long as you use the included white spacer insert.

I was backer #147 out of 150 - just barely made it for the early bird special. I actually watched the early bird sell out right after I backed it - only 20 minutes after I received the email.

I love the Ti Arto, but like many, I was wishing for a similar pen only capless. This one looks like it will deliver. And that black option looks so, so nice.

7. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Man, I've got more machined pens than I care to admit, but I jumped right on this without a thought - I am #91 out of 150, and I went straight to Kickstarter from the e-mail as soon as it came in! I really like the Arto for it's ability to take almost any refill I throw at it, but I'm not a capped pen guy, not to mention that I didn't particularly care for how many turns it takes to get the cap on & off. This new pen looks to solve that problem, so I'm excited to back it.

Besides, the BigIDesign guys are pretty stand-up in the pen community, so I don't mind supporting them.

8. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Im not a cap guy either, but im also not a twisty guy especially if you use the same motion to open a pen as you would deploying it... I like clickies and bolt pens so i think ill hold out till they make better version of this design. Twisty part from this pen (but nice and stiff) to make up for the length of any refill, that 4 jaw tip holdy thingie redesigned as a proper 3-jaw and then add a nice bolt action lever to the butt and ill jump on it in an instant.

9. bj warkentin

Maybe the next one... :) This is a great extension of the Ti Arto, which I have and the clutch in the tip works really well. I guess I backed it, as it is the next logical extension of their last pen, may come closer to my ideal pen (pocket carry, accepts different refills. capless, no tip wobble, metal, decent grip), and supports a pair of stand up individuals in the custom pen community.

Plus I get another pen for my collection and everyone knows that he who dies with the most pens, wins.

10. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

For the one-and-done comment - I just meant in terms of pledging for the Big I Design/KlinkoKids creations... They keep coming out with innovative writing instruments, and none tick off all the checkboxes. For instance, the Ti Arto will even hold the dinky D1 refills (which I don't really care for, yet have a few spares from the old style, "gravity-activated" multipens like the rotring 600 series triopen) that the Ti Pocket Pro can't hold, but the pocketability of the latter is better.

I currently have an Inka titanium pen on the keyring in one pocket, the Böker Plus Tactical Pen K.I.D. CAL .50 and Fisher Millennium Space Pen in the other, and the Machine Era Field Pen in the shirt pocket.

I like that the Inka's always around if I have my keys, the fiddle factor of the bolt-action of the Böker Plus, the "lifetime supply" of ink of the Millennium (had one since '98 and made use of the lifetime guarantee twice), and the quality of the sturdy clip-activated mechanism of the Field Pen (I like solid, machined metal, springy clips more than the thin, stamped-metal ones - why should we have to disassemble and rebend the clips of the big i design pens just because they can get bent outta shape? That's a design issue to resolve, imo, but it won't jive with their mass-produced manufacturing process).

My current fave daily driver is the Field Pen. Yet I like that the Millennium is full-size when the cap is posted. I think I'd also like the clip-action of the TiScribe-Bolt as well (was backer #1 for that project :D), yet it's longer than ones I'd have in pants pockets.

Tl: dr? I like different pens for diff reasons, and probably won't find one that has/does/is everything I'd want it to have/do/be.

:cool:

Last edited by oke, Apr 4, 2017
    #10 oke, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  11. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

It looks really cool and very clever on the multiple refill design.

Alas, I do not know if I would like the grip. The diameter seems a bit large..maybe not.. But I do not know if I would like grooves in the grip over an extended period of time.

12. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Backed. Like the capless twist mechanism for EDC.

13. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

I got in touch with the makers, as I was concerned about how little the tip seems to retract. They said that the retraction is decided by how much you twist, so it's up to you how far to retract. That solves my concern over using rollerballs and gel refills. It sounds like it's just a screw together/screw apart mechanism between the two pieces, not a clutch, like most twist pens.

So, the one downside so far I see is that the makers said it's not wide enough internally to use a Schmidt short capless rollerball refill, which is my favorite these days. Still, lots of good refill options to choose from.

Sachsen likes this.