1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New EDC pack. The Maxpedition Typhoon backpack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by tonystl, Apr 4, 2011.

1. tonystl

tonystl Loaded Pockets

This is my new EDC pack. I've first tried the Malaga, but the strap was just too wide and it cut into my neck when fully loaded (normal EDC stuff, camera, extra lens). I sent it back and went with the Falcon II. Nice pack, tons of organization options, but in the end too large to carry every day. Two days after getting the Falcon II I learned about the Typhoon in backpack form. This was what I was looking for. I loved how the Malaga was set up and the Typhoon is similar. So, like Goldilocks, the third one was JUST right.

Front:
    [​IMG]
    I changed out the original black paracord pulls with orange. I may get some white paracord this weekend and try that as well.

Back:
    [​IMG]
    Very comfortable mesh back. The straps are just right and the sternum strap helps with heavier loads.

Bottom front pocket:
    [​IMG]

Top front pocket:
    [​IMG]

Inside of the main compartment:
    [​IMG]

Left side:
    [​IMG]

Magazine pocket with my Fenix E21:
    [​IMG]

Small side pocket:
    [​IMG]

Top with added paracord to the handle:
    [​IMG]

All in all this is a great back. I use the main compartment to house my Nikon DSLR and an extra 50mm lens. I got a cover for the DSL body and lens to cushion it just a bit while transporting it.

2. simmerdownjack

simmerdownjack Loaded Pockets

Nice! I just ordered a black pygmy falcon 2... Kind of regretting it now looking at your sweet bag. On Maxpedition's website it looked extreemly square, but the way you have it packed, that doesnt seem to be the case. Excelent job! O0

3. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Do the two exterior front pockets have a similar organizational set up like the Malaga? I love my Malaga, especially it's organization. What about the main compartment? Similar set up the the Malaga or not? I am trying so hard not to drop the extra money on this thing, but the more I see the more I want!:brickwall:

4. tonystl

tonystl Loaded Pockets

Inside the main compartment there is a mesh pocket and a zippered pocket. There is nothing along the back part of the main pocket (the wall that makes up the full back of the pack). There isn't the velcro in the main pocket like in the Malaga. The top front pocket is just a pocket, none of the interior webbing like I think there is on the malaga. The lower front pocket is similar to the Malaga with it's pen holders and what not.

I really like the small side pocket and magazine/flashlight holder. That, and of course the backpack set up instead of a gearslinger, is what really sold me on this bag.

5. Heavy_Hog

Heavy_Hog Loaded Pockets

You owe my bank account an apology...I must have this bag.

Thanks for the pics!

6. NIB

NIB Loaded Pockets

Very nice!

If they would have left off the side pockets it would have been my perfect pack and I would be all over it.

7. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Why do so few of these packs use S shaped straps? Straight straps are not as comfortable to use. They need to catch up to civilian packs in some important ways still.

8. Cobra4246
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cobra4246 Loaded Pockets

Very nice pack. I think I will be getting one of these for myself

9. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

The bag ***** in me screams at me to get this bag.

Good choice on adding the orange paracord. It removes the "tactical" look of the bag and presents it as an "emergency kit".
    On the other hand, it does seem to shout "Ask me what's inside! quick!"...

Judging by the hand/bag scale, it does appear small. I reckon this is small than a Rush 12? Can it fit a 15-inch laptop?
    Good thing about these sizes is that it forces you to think about what you need to put in it.

10. Byrd2000

Byrd2000 Loaded Pockets

I saw this on Maxpeds website and was pondering it for my upcoming trip to Taiwan. I have a Lunada and I love it but it really gets uncomfortable when it's fully loaded with stuff. Seeing yours, I notice that the current layout of built in pouches is almost the exact same as what I have on the Lunada right now, and I'm going to take the leap of faith and purchase this bag. Just one question though: can it hold letter sized paper in the main compartment? That is the one thing I don't like about the Lunada. It can't fit a 3-subject notebook.

11. tonystl

tonystl Loaded Pockets

LOL! I think my bank account needs a rest. I know my wife wasn't too happy with me having $300+ in Maxpedition bags charged to it.

12. tonystl

tonystl Loaded Pockets

I do like the orange but I see your point too. I may change them out for white. Found an army surplus nearby that sells paracord for a decent price.

As for a 15 inch laptop, I don't have one but I do have a 2005 12" iBook and that fits with about 3.5" to spare. So it may or may not fit.

That was another reason I bought the bag. I like to be minimal in my carry so having limited space works for me.

13. tonystl

tonystl Loaded Pockets

Yes it can.

14. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I think Maxped really hit a home run by bringing this model to a two strap version. It looks like it's perfect for EDC. I suspect it'll be a best seller.

15. mjadams75

mjadams75 Loaded Pockets

Great job!! Thanks for the pics and the idea of putting the para-cord on the handle. That's a great storage for extra!

16. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the pics .. Awesome thread

17. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

Approximate overall volume: 750 cu. in. --- WAY too small. I'll pass on this one.

18. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

Thanks dude. Great pics btw. I think minimal is a good way to go EDC, too.

19. rukrem

rukrem Loaded Pockets

I agree ...
    This pack also looks a little small...

I

20. Jeff9266

Jeff9266 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for posting the pics - at 750 ci, it's a little bigger than the Sitka but I like having the wider main compartment which will hold letter size papers and such.

Is the Y shaped compression strap removable on this pack? The one on the Sitka/Kodiak is, but I wasn't sure about this pack.

Thanks