1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New edc item

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Rev. Chuck, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

I finally got around and purchased a netbook this thing is so cool, it's a Lenovo ideapad with 1 gig in ram and 250 gig hard drive.

I am still figuring out Windows 7, so far so good :D

2. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, May 27, 2012
  3. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

well I saw the mac air, but at 1200 it was out of my budget but that thing is beautiful :p

4. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

my wife has a Dell mini10, and she loves it. Personally, I can't stand how slow and under powered it is. Next for me is a Macbook air, I'm finding my regular Macbook just too heavy.

5. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't waste your money on the Macbook Air. If you don't have a legitimate reason to get the Air (i.e. traveling a lot), I'd maybe consider the iPad once it comes out. It's not worth having a computer that lacks a CD drive and firewire just for the sake of reduced weight. Personally, I think Apple needs to redesign the Air, as it's practically useless to everyone except heavy travelers...

6. bigfatton

bigfatton Loaded Pockets

I have an ASUS Eee Pc model 1000HE. Weighs 3 pounds, performs fantastically, love it. Don't really have a need for a CD drive these days anyways, so I don't feel like i'm losing real functionality. I take it everywhere, I strongly recommend ASUS Netbooks

7. Double_Tap

Double_Tap Loaded Pockets

I just bought an Asus netbook as well, great little device. I was waiting on the iPad, but now that I have seen the specs, I went out and got the netbook (and a MaxP Malaga to carry it in).

8. CyberCacique1

CyberCacique1 Empty Pockets

Firewire....Ok, I'll give you that, although more and more people don't use it. Especially people switching from PC to Apple and I would say that's a reasonable portion of the overall marketshare. For the record, I do like/use Firewire, but in no way is that a deal breaker when you consider the rest of the Macbook Air package.

CD drive? Who uses those things? Seriously, flash/SSD storage is sinking in price by the week and many users just live "in the cloud" as well. CD drives are on life support.

The initial sticker shock of the Air was because it was the first of it's kind, but now it has plenty of competition. Apple won't rest on it as it is. It will go through another evolution soon enough...

9. chris in mo

chris in mo Loaded Pockets

I've had an ASUS 1005 since last fall and I love it. Very handy and does most on what I use a computer for which is communication and information via the web. My desktop rarely gets used these days. If I need to do something processor intensive I have the desktop for that but for web access, email, social networking etc the netbooks work great and they are portable enough to always have them around.

10. jfirebalrog

jfirebalrog Empty Pockets

We have 4 ,3 asus and a msi wind.They are slow but the portability more than makes up for it,and a 2 gig ram upgrade helps.It isn't uncommon for all 4 of us to be a few feet from each other and all on.One of the best directions in computers ever.If one get's damaged they are cheap to replace,I don't use discs much so external drive is all we need(they should sell software on sd anyway),better battery life and above all very portable.I'm looking forward to something even smaller with maybe an integrated projection keyboard and video projector.

11. chappel

chappel Loaded Pockets

I've got an ASUS EeePC 901, and REALLY like it, but had to move up to a MacBook Pro 13" to get the performance I needed for high-end photo editing in the field. I love the portability, low price and battery life of the Asus. I bumped the ram to 2G and the flash drive to 128G, which helped, but I think what REALLY makes it awesome is Ubuntu NBR - it runs MUCH better without all the obligatory windows bloat.

12. Rescue_Ops

Rescue_Ops Loaded Pockets

There's really no need to have a CD drive anymore. I've used a netbook (Acer Aspire One) for 2 years and have had no need to use a CD/DVD for anything. And I've never had anything that used Firewire, so no big deal there either. I volunteer at the rescue squad and the netbook is what I take with me to do business there instead of lugging around my 17" Toshiba. Basically anything you need, you can download or use a flash drive instead of a CD/DVD. I wish software companies would package their software on reusable flash drives instead of outdated media. Just my opinion.

13. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

Most netbooks don't have a CD drive, so it puts it physically in the same catagory as most. It is a lot more usefull than the iPad, thought I expect someday I will own one of those too (or my wife). I don't travel super heavy, but I do want a system the same specs or better than my current macbook only much lighter, a bit better battery etc. The Air fills requirments perfectly. I can honestly count the times I have used the cd drive on my laptop in the last 6 months on one hand. For firewire, I have not used that in 5+ years as well. May as well complain it doesn't have a floppy drive, that is just as useless to me lol.

14. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

I bought an Asus eee pc 1000 hg with wifi and an 3g modem all inside about a year ago and it's been the best purchase I've done in years. The best $460 I ever spent. I EDC it 3-4 days a weak, without a charger, so the battery has been well tested and it's still going strong at 5-7 hours depending on the wifi usage. As for netbooks missing a CD/DVD rom and firewire, never thought off it as a con. I use the firewire only to pull videos off of my camcorder, and i do it on my desktop. Who's going to edit videos on a laptop? If i want to transfer something fast on or off of the eee, I use LAN. In the last year, I needed the CD/DVD drive on it 3 or 4 times max. So I used a Virtual one, and a disk image. For the lack of these two things I get a lot longer autonomy on it as said before. Up to 7 hours. With a CD/DVD drive it would be a lot less, because if it's there, it uses power. Especially if it spins. ;-)

The only problem is, that it's so light and silent I forget it's there. I once pushed the hibernate button on it and put it in a neoprene sleeve and into the bag. 5 hours later I pull it out, and it's still on, half an hour battery life remaining. Did not check if it turned of. I sweat bullets thinking I cooked it, but the fan is still silent and no harm was done to it. I threw my bag on the table yesterday, and the sound of the bump reminded me that I have a laptop inside. :nervous: I'm writing this post on it now so it's still alive. :pop:

15. mango_420

mango_420 Loaded Pockets

Asus netbooks are great. Currently on a 2nd one, the first one had some issues with the screen. It was $100 for a new screen or $230 for a new one- so went with a n280 chip version. Seems to play youtube and other videos quicker than the N270 version.

16. mango_420

mango_420 Loaded Pockets

Flash media software would be cool.

But:
    1, they aren't quite as cheap as cd's just yet
    2, there's metal on flash drives and it costs a lot
    3, the "software" company would catch hell from PNY or SanDisk for giving away their product to be re-used, putting them out of business

However, with high speed internet speed now, we can download most installation software or manuals. So the "software" company only pays 2 18 y.o. High school grads to convert manuals to pdf files instead of buying us free flash drives

17. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

Look at the asus ul model notebooks. Only a tiny bit larger then a netbook with the same weight and the power of a full blown notebook. All that with 10 hours of battery life. I got a ul30a-x5 around christmas last year and LOVE it. At night I plug it into my tv and watch hulu and stuff on the battery. I use my droid as the remote.