1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New EDC favorite

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Kris T, Oct 9, 2021.

1. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Off to watch the old cold steel meat boot demonstrations. :)

Good burn! That totally negates my argument.

2. Barabbas

Barabbas Empty Pockets

No burn intended, those videos are great and I am actually rewatching them.

jag-engr likes this.
  3. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

The OP was looking for an EDC knife to replace his Spyderco that he is "tired" of and is willing to spend up to $300. I'm not a fan of injection molded plastic handles on my knife especially without liners so I never would have bought an original Bugout. That's just me. But when they came out with premium materials that was a game changer. I'm a fan of carbon fiber. I like the look, feel, and quality of the material. I still was on the fence because I prefer liners in my knives but figured I'd give it a shot because esthetically I liked the knife. Benchmade markets the knife as an ultra light EDC knife. This is accurate. It's light, slim, and easily slides in your pocket and you don't realize it's there until you need it. The action is smooth and flips right open. The axis lock allows it to be closed quickly with one hand. I own many axis lock Benchmades and have never had a spring break so I don't fear this locking system. The handle flex, at least with carbon fiber is minimal. I really have to squeeze the knife hard to feel a slight flex. There is an aluminum option as well as a titanium custom option if the flex concerns you. To sum it up, in my opinion Benchmade makes some of the best production knives out there and you can't go wrong owning one. If you like the looks of it I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surefire7 and Kris T like this.
  4. Kris T

Kris T Empty Pockets

I appreciate the input man, i really do and i think i may be convinced of a benchmade for EDC and probably a cold steel or heavier benchmade for camping and such. I'm currently trying to decide now on which bugout for EDC, the aluminum m390 or the s90v carbon fiber, and then for the beast on steroids knife im considering the cold steel one mentioned above and a bencmade super freek.

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would suggest again then that you get a ZT flipper in your hand before deciding what to do!
    I think you will understand once you pick up an 0350 or something similarly sized from them.
    More choices is a good thing!

I also have not yet owned a Cold Steel knife so there is that too.

6. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

The Cold Steel I posted is the first I ever bought. I've had it a month and am so impressed I bought a second one. I was always turned off by Cold Steel because of their marketing but I'm really glad I gave it a chance.

7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Speaking from experience, don't do it! I had an original PM, got tired of it, and traded it on. I wish that I had not done so. Buy a knife that fills a different niche.

If your PM2 shows much wear, you'll be hard pressed to get $100 for it, and you can get plenty of knife for $200. There are numerous BM's within that price range.

8. rlewpolar

rlewpolar Loaded Pockets

I agree with this. Keep the PM2. Get another Spyderco Manix 2 or even better yet, a PM2 with a tanto blade. The PM2 tanto blade is a very very tough setup. So is the Manix 2. Get the Manix 2 in S110v steel. That baby will cut and hold it’s edge forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I don't see that as a burn. Who doesn't like the Cold Steel meat videos?!

Seriously, a BM Bugout and a CS Lawman are two entirely different classes of knives. It really depends on what you're doing with them. Cold Steel knives are a bit overbuilt, IMO, for anything that I would do with a folding knife. However, I love their fixed blades.

Edit to Add: I do see Cold Steel's new Range Boss to be a possible exception. I am curious as to how they will handle the left-hand clip, though.

Last edited by jag-engr, Oct 14, 2021
    #29 jag-engr, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Barabbas likes this.
  10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

It sounds like the OP wants to mix it up a bit. The PM2 tanto won't really give him much variety. I do like the Manix 2 suggestion, though! I can be purchased for just over $100 and customized with Flytanium scales (another $55, or so). That still leaves enough money to pick up a Delica, which he will doubtless end up carrying 90% of the time anyway...

rlewpolar likes this.
  11. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

12. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

13. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I love the Cold Steel American Lawman, only complaint is it isn’t actually American made with American in the name. Feel it should just be called the Lawman unless they make it in the US. My favorite Cold Steel design though.

If you’re just bored, I’d say buy an OTF if they’re legal in your area. I’m having fun with a Guardian Tactical Recon 035 today.

14. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I feel the same way. I'd prefer it was called the "Taiwanese Lawman" but made in the U.S.