1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New EDC favorite

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Kris T, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Kris T

Kris T Empty Pockets

Hey everyone. I am somewhat new to collecting real knives compared to the cheap ones I used to love as a kid. I’ve had a Spyderco pm2 with black blade and camo g-10 for years and it just doesn’t do it for me anymore. Great knife I just need a change. I’m looking for opinions on a new folder. Something around 300 or less, really tough, great blade steel and will last forever. I’ve been looking at benchmades a lot. Any opinions? Should I find a benchmade or is there better in that range? I figure I’ll just sell my pm2 to help offset the cost. Thanks for any advice

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well what exactly about your PM2 isnt doing it anymore for you?

There are a whole lot of knife choices to say the least so why not throw us more bone so we can try to help?

A.B. likes this.
  3. Kris T

Kris T Empty Pockets

That’s fair. My bad I didn’t really give you much. The pm2 just kinda seems boring now after having it so long and either way I’d like to have more than 1 good knife now anyways. I’ve had my eye on the 940 Osborne’s, bugouts and super freeks so far. I’d like to have something that starts off as a legendary base and platform that over time I can add my own preferences to like scales, spacers etc. so something super reliable, sturdy, time proven and super customizable

surefire7 likes this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

So a lot of us feel like the PM2 is already one of those platforms really but I would suggest either a Griptillian or another AXIS lock knife or/and a Flipper like a nice ZT maybe if you want to stay in the same basic price range as the PM2 is in.

I have a lot of knives,at least by my standards and the ones that I seem to settle on longer term are a Spydie Manix LW because it is so :censored: light for how huge the blade is and a ZT0350 version which are pretty much the opposite really! Then there is the actual butt load of AXIS lock Benchmades that I can not seem to stop buying all of which are terrific really and that 940 is too slim for me but sure has a lot of fans too!

I dont think you can make a mistake except that starting to add knives makes it too easy for a lot of us to stop with just one!

5. Kris T

Kris T Empty Pockets

Thanks a lot for the advice I really appreciate it. I’m going to start checking out your suggestions right away.

6. Gadgetman7

Gadgetman7 Loaded Pockets

Check the ZT line. Several good options in that price range. There are a couple of Rick Hinderer collaborations with ZT in that price range as well.

The standard Bugout is interesting but be aware that there is some handle flex. If you want really sturdy Benchmade’s, check out the Adamas and Mini-Adamas.

There is also a Demkon production knife with a Sharklock called the Ad-20.5 for about $150 that is very well made and very popular right now.

For something completely different. Microtech or Protech automatic knives knives are in that range. Just be sure they’re legal to carry in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

I'd recommend giving a Benchmade Bugout a shot. You can choose a carbon fiber handle that comes with a S90V blade or an an aluminum one. You can also build your own on their website. They are popular so as such there are customizations available such as the blue titanium screws pictured in mine.

[​IMG]

8. InLine4

InLine4 Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Manix 2 if you want an axis lock. Stronger lock then any Benchmade.

rlewpolar and MatBlack like this.
  9. Mabrowns

Mabrowns Loaded Pockets

Benchmade utilized the axis lock first.

surefire7 likes this.
  10. InLine4

InLine4 Loaded Pockets

Yes I’m aware. What I mean is the ball bearing lock is stronger than the omega springs.

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not really the same lock at all but they look the same at first sighting maybe.

Also what does the first to use one have to do with anything exactly?

I have and like both the Benchmade and Spydie implementations of the style of lock but again they are not even the same thing at all.

12. Kris T

Kris T Empty Pockets

I've definitely have been looking at the bugouts a lot lately, although i am having a hard time deciding between the 535-3 carbon fiber and the 535BK-4, any opinions one the better model here?

13. Barabbas

Barabbas Empty Pockets

Second the Bugout recommendation. With the selection of blade steels and handle materials you can do some research and dial in just what you want.

The carbon fiber one I got had a lot of dust in it and was a bit gritty which took a full disassembly to clean up and smooth out. My guess is it was carbon fiber dust left over from finishing.

14. Kris T

Kris T Empty Pockets

I'm having a real hard time decided between the 2 options i mentioned above, i prefer the look of the carbon fiber version better but my experience with decent blade steel is limited only to s30v so deciding between the s90v on the CF vs the m390 on the aluminum is tough with my limited experience. Sharpening is a non-issue for me as i rather enjoy the process and plus benchmade's forever sharp program if i give up. any experiences or preferences with these 2 different steels?

15. Barabbas

Barabbas Empty Pockets

Those steels are fairly comparable to me, not enough of a difference to make a difference for the light use I put them to. Something to consider is the weight and feel of the handle materials.

Have the carbon fiber and like it other than the initial cleaning it is great, no experience with the aluminum but I could see it being good as well as long as it wasn't too heavy.

16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love the Bugout but not as much as I prefer a larger knife!

17. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

If you don't want a knife that that hasn't got the bugs out of it; like not wanting to replace broken omega springs and a cheap-flexy handle....try this:
    [​IMG]
    Cold Steel American Lawman. Also it's less expensive.

danbo27 and Elmiro Dungfoot like this.
  18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Have you had problems with the springs and handles yourself?

MatBlack likes this.
  19. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

The plastic handled full sized Bugout is easily over $100. I think there are much better options at a lower price. I have one knife with an axis lock (Benchmade Emissary) and am so unimpressed with the axis system, I never carry it. Then, I've noticed many threads about broken omega springs...but that's "no big deal" according to the fans. I've never had to replace anything on any knife I've ever owned. So to me, the possibility of needing to replace a spring IS a big deal. What other lock system has had as many problems? I just feel the adulation this knife gets is unwarranted. I've handled one and was was thoroughly unimpressed. Oh...but you can get a Flytanium upgrade! So now I can spend even more! Awesome.
    That's my beef. To be clear I don't hate Benchmade. I own 4 or 5 from the 90s that I like a lot. I just think the Bugout is overpriced crap and there are stonger options than the axis lock with its flimsy springs. Like the Tri-ad lock on the American Lawman.

#19 MatBlack, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    post tenebras likes this.
  20. Barabbas

Barabbas Empty Pockets

Been carrying Benchmades among other knives for almost 20 years, started with a 710, mostly axis locks, never had a broken omega spring. I'm sure omega springs break, each knife has two and can operate with just one. The chances of both breaking are not worth worrying about to me. The axis lock is actually quite nice to fidget with and flick the blade open and closed quickly, and the lock is strong enough to open the burrito and brownie wrappers I encounter daily. The Emissary is an assisted open so perhaps you didn't get to flick it closed which is where it really shines for me.

The bugout gets hate for a little flex and a cheap feeling, it is supposed to be lite, that comes with compromises, have yet to break any of mine.

Cost and value are up to the purchaser, for what I get I am happy and own and carry several models and am comfortable recommending them. Would definitely take one over any cold steel, but that's just me being snobby. Have a Voyager that I beat the living crap out of and it just keeps taking it. The cold steels just don't bring me the same joy the Benchmades do. To each their own.

Off to watch the old cold steel meat boot demonstrations. :)