1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New EDC bag from Kifaru - Antero

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Scoman, Jan 20, 2015.

1. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Skeptic Monkey,
    how long is your torso ? In inches or cm ?
    Thnx M

2. skeptic_monkey

skeptic_monkey Loaded Pockets

I have no idea, but can measure tonight. I'm 5'10" 170 lbs if that helps in the meantime.

3. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Thanks. If you could measure it from your lumbar to the nape of your neck.

4. skeptic_monkey

skeptic_monkey Loaded Pockets

does 20" sound right?

5. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

SOunds right. I am 6" with a 21"-22". Really helps to gain perspective. Appreciate it !

6. CANNIBALdinner.

CANNIBALdinner. Loaded Pockets

My black Antero came in today. It's ok I guess. Pretty basic. I couldn't decide between it and a multicam Mystery Ranch 3DAP so I ordered both. (Had my eye on one of those forever now.). The MR will be here tomorrow. I'll probably ship back the one that I like least.

My only gripe so far with the Antero is that the compression straps aren't removable like they are on the X-ray and zippy. I'm not a fan of dangling straps. Other than that, it's pretty cool. It seems like no matter what I buy, I always go back to my GR1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cr0wb4r and GearHunter like this.
  7. CANNIBALdinner.

^^^im keeping both!

GearHunter likes this.
  8. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

I know it's been a while, but I've taken the plunge on an Antero despite all the negatives that have been said. I was wonder what your impressions are on the Antero now it's been a over a year. (Did you go back to the GR1?)

9. CANNIBALdinner.

I actually don't have either the Antero or the MR 3DAP anymore. I do however, still have my GR1.... Just different strokes I suppose. The Antero was a very nice, solid bag. Just not for me. Hope you love yours!!

10. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

HAH. I've let go of everything except my GR1 and UZ. I've liked the size of the TAD Litespeed, but it's too busy and tacticool for me; makes me feel like a douchebag trying too hard. MR 3DAP was overkill. ASAP was too small.

I'm hoping for good fortunes with the Antero.

Thanks.

malraux72 likes this.
  11. volcomonix

volcomonix Loaded Pockets

Any update on this? I know its a super old thread but I'm really torn right now between the Antero, Tarahumara, Lightspeed, and even the Java by MR.

My feelings are, I have my map 3500 for BOB situations, and although this new bag is primarily for work (business casual) and EDC, all of these packs can fit into an environment with dockers and sport coat, but also fit into a :censored: scenario without having to go to the BOB, so sort of a GHB/EDC/Work bag. I really want to just get the Antero and be done with it but I've read complaints, however they are all basically about the comfortableness with a loaded pack and this isn't really how I plan to use it.

Maybe I should just use my map 3500 for EDC, I just feel like it's a bit big for me in that use.

12. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Because the GR1 is simple enough in appearance with a hint of tactical function yet not as cumbersome as the others( they have more buckles and straps); it can adapt easily from the office to the field. The Antero is a nice bag in itself but just like any tactical bag, it looks more like you are always ready in combat, of course unless that's what you feel like as you carry your bag!

13. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

I really don't see the Antero as a tactical bag, especially if you have a organizer on the front. The GR1 has more exposed PALS webbing on it.

14. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

:censored: it....I ordered an Antero,resisted it for a while but I've really been looking for something a little bigger than my HPG Tara and a little smaller and more streamlined than my Xray. Couple that with Kifaru doing away with Typhon and I had to grab one of the last Typhon Anteros.

:censored: this disease. Lol

Mike

15. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

Mike, would you mind posting your thoughts and possibly a few pics of your Antero?

16. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Hey el chupacabra, here are some pics of my Antero. To tell you the truth I only ordered the Antero because while I was on the phone with Kifaru ordering some pouches they mentioned that they were no longer going to offer Typhon once their current supply of material runs out. I really dig the pattern and asked if they had any Anteros in Typhon since they weren't listed on the website, they got back to me and said they found a few " in the corner." Well there was no way I could chance missing out. LOL. As it turns out I really like this pack, it's a good size for EDC. I said earlier in this thread that I would never give up my Xray for an Antero.....and I still wouldn't, but I am really warming up it. I don't carry a lot of weight in it but it carries well and stays tight to my back. I have a TAD MOLLE Panel with a Kifaru Lock and Load Pocket on the inside and an Organizer on the flap.

Hope this helps you out,
    Mike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#116 MikeM, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    RED-FIVE and el chupacabra like this.
  17. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

Mike, thank you so much. I'm going to go look for a TAD molle panel now.

MikeM likes this.
  18. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Mike, nice custom work on the zippers pulls too. Btw ... are those Maxped zippulls?
    RF

19. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Thanks R-F and those are indeed Maxped zipper pulls.....not exactly a bargain but they do work well.

Mike

20. Pardner

Pardner Loaded Pockets

I've had the Antero for a few weeks and I am really liking this bag. It's not going to completely replace my Xray for EDC but it's here to stay in permanent rotation. I got the Ranger Green version and mine came with the lower shoulder straps attached to the bag (not removable so no metal clips) and the bottom compression straps are also not removable (one or both of these items are different in other versions of the bag from what I have read, not sure if mine is a newer or earlier version since as with most of my non-CB bags, it was bought used).

The only modification I made is to replace the Kifaru shoulder straps with the HPG straps (I make this mod with many of my Kifaru bags). For this bag I actually don't think the HPG benefits it as much as the others because I don't tend to load the Antero with too much weight (~15 lbs) which is a good segue to my use for this bag. I rotate the Xray and Xing depending on how much weight and bulk and external organization I need to carry (I need to lug around computer and comms equipment including batteries). The Antero comes in when I don't have too much weight to carry and don't need a belt which is where its set-up with the integrated dual water bottle pockets, glasses top pocket, front packet and panel load makes for a very convenient pack to lug around in the city. Its not that it can't handle the weight, I actually haven't really pushed it since I have the tried-and-true Xing and Xray with their dual stays, dual-delta strapped omni belts, plus the molle for pockets and I'm not ready to change. Given that, I highly recommend the Antero for EDC.

For its size category, I place the Antero behind the Xray but ahead of the GoRuck 21L/15L Bullet/SD20L, Mystery Ranch 3DAP/Asap/SnapDragon, HPG, Tad Gear, then all others in that order. That is only my opinion in search for the perfect pack, your experience for your use might be different.

MikeM likes this.