1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New crowdsourced product developments as we go along......

Discussion in 'Alpha One Niner (bags & gear)' started by HELM, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

I think it looks awesome as well! First thing I noticed was the side pockets as well. Looks like a 32 Oz Nalgene would just flop out. Hard to tell. Is there a port for the bladder tube?

Just answered my own question... I see the port dead center in one of the pics.

2. AdrianChang

AdrianChang Loaded Pockets

Very nice. What are the dimensions of the pack? Also, does it come in all black? Or any other possible colors? I can't see in the pictures if it is a clamshell opening pack or not.

3. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Sorry guys, just landed in Dubai. On the flight here I noticed a couple of things that I needed to revise but my initial impressions..... I'm very psyched about it!

I will get exact dimensions as soon as I can.

Quick answers - I don't have the beavertail with me but will provide better info and photos. Yes, plan to make this available in all black and color combos. Am looking at a second compression strap.

Guys as I've mentioned, I'm doing a lot of this on the fly. The pack was not even an hour old when I snatched it from the sample room and loaded it up for my flight. I promised to get more info and details by the weekend.

Thanks again.

Helm

4. MarauderX

MarauderX Loaded Pockets

This might be late for a suggestion but I'll throw it in.

For the water bottle sleeve maybe a shock cord attached to a tab 3" or so above that small pocket as a bottle retainer.

Along the lines of a skeletonized bottle holder attachment. Maybe that way it would be away from the zipper during opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myrddraal likes this.
  5. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

ghostyjack Loaded Pockets

I like the design, for an urban bag, it's pretty good.

One thing I like to see is someone not using 1000D Cordura for a change. For a bag that looks like it is meant for an urban setting 1000D is overkill and way too heavy, there are far better and light alternatives like ripstrop nylon.

I also like the colours, I think they give it a nice look.

I agree that the water bottle pouches need a bit of work on them, being short, they will need some mechanism to keep taller bottles in. Deeper pockets would also work. I like the fact that they are not made of mesh as I find mesh bottle pockets catches on everything.

I'm not a big fan of shoulder straps that don't permanently attach to the top of the bag, I don't see any value in having them adjustable at the bottom and at the top.

AdrianChang likes this.
  6. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Agree definitely with the straps comment as well. Just more work/cost and I'm not sure the benefit either.

7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I agree that the bottle pockets look a little short. I'd like to see them collapsedas well as loaded with the largest bottle it can hold :) Also interested in the weight of the bag itself.
    I do like the diamond ripstop:)

8. Rapt_up

Rapt_up Loaded Pockets

New to the conversation.. big fan of JMA's work and have been looking for the right pack for a couple decades now... :) Been teetering on the fence of making my own... (have the materials and some components prototyped) ... But this is close to what I have been picturing. May still have my own made for me...

Yellow/light interior in all pockets is a must.

Front pockets should open full height... Actually all pockets should open to at least 75% of full height, if not full height.. Don't care for the small one edge zip pockets most companies are making for glasses and electronics. Too hard to get them in and out without hanging up on zippers and flaps.

Deep narrow packs suck for load distribution and shifting while being active, because the weight wants to move away from your back. Approx. overall dimensions 19"x12" with depth of 6-9". With light weight grid fabric the weight won't get out of control and, I'd rather have a little extra volume for when I need it and I can compress it, when I don't. Judicious use of stretch fabrics can help keep the pack streamlined and slick looking.

Stashpocket/beavertail pocket is a must, once you've used one that's properly designed, its impossible to go back to lash points and shock cord. The pocket is three times faster to use, and ten times more secure. Frankly I think every pack should have this. I like JMA's design with the fixed bottom and the stretchy expandable sides. Good balance between capacity and low profile with security.

Side pockets need to be deeper, and not limit opening of the main pocket. Pockets that are not tall enough in proportion to the width tend to dump things out that extend past their top edge.

Framesheet space should accommodate a 3/8" thick IIIA soft plate up to full size of pack back. (say 18.5"x11.5") Not every one is going to like or want this, but its a nice to have for those that do. :D

Added comment re_shoulder straps. I bought a Rush and sold it immediately because I hated the way the shoulder straps didn't allow for the shape of my neck and shoulders. One of the most comfortable straps I have used are on my Camelbak Havoc where there is a thinner webbing section that allows them to take on whatever angle they need. (the best was on my Arcteryx Bora 40) but that's a full suspension system and I have routinely carried 70 lbs on that system without pressure points or discomfort beyond the weight itself. Adjustments are useful on a mass produced pack.

9. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Hey guys, it took me a little longer but I'm uploading the video that I promised. This video touches on the various aspects of the pack and in it I also address the questions about the side water bottle holders and the shoulder straps.

Once again, please keep in mind that this is a first prototype based on the feedback from this thread . It's going to be tough to get everyone's wants on a single pack. We've incorporated as many of it as we could.

Anyway have a look at the vid and as always, please feel free with the Q.

Helm

10. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

11. MarauderX

MarauderX Loaded Pockets

Love it, it's obvious that you payed attention closely to the requests that were made. Really like the beaver tail and the hidden front pocket.

12. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

That is a thing of beauty.

13. AdrianChang

Very nice. I like how you made it possible to incorporate as much of the requests as possible into one pack.

14. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Today I noticed that my backpack I have been using for about 4 years has a cracked buckle holding one of the straps.
    It's only a matter of time before the ol workhorse finally breaks on me (after years of daily abuse).
    Guess this will be my next pack.
    It would be awesome to have velcro on one part for patches. :)

Cobra 6 Actual and thePlumbah like this.
  15. AdrianChang

If I am not mistaken I think there is already a velco patch on the front.:)

Cobra 6 Actual and FenixArcher like this.
  16. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

Awesome!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  17. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

It's the accent that sells the pack. It really is.:p

I'm quite impressed how Helm has worked out a good way to please most of the requests put in. A lot of the ideas are sound (main compartment opens up big, but not the laptop/tablet pocket, else they would come flopping out!). A few thoughts though, as the pack is still being prototyped.

-The bottle pocket needs to be short to accommodate the 3/4 (or even larger, from what it looks like in the video) clamshell opening. Personally I'm all for making the opening shorter in order to have a taller bottle pocket, but I would probably be in the minority. I wonder how feasible of a compromise it would be to shift the zippers towards the front of the pack, to where the blue and black fabrics meet. This would allow the bottle pockets to be lengthened to however long is necessary for a secure fit without limiting how wide the clamshell can open.

-On the topic of the bottle pockets, I think the zippered compartment is a good idea, but agree they usually become hard to use when the main pocket they are attached to is full. I wonder if the zipper should be shifted to either the top of the zipper compartment, or angled/slanted somehow, and open to a bellows pocket (like the bellows pocket on the SERT Universal Inserts) outside of the water bottle pocket (Reference Kelty Strike design, or even the Penumbra pack, albeit in this case the pocket should be slimmer). Another option is to move the zipper compartment into the bottle pouches (Reference TAD flashlight cave design).

-The beavertail attachment is a challenge, but not without precedence. Kifaru's solution for the Grab-It comes to mind (Metal tri-glides), as does Tom Bihn's (Gatekeeper rail clips), Camelbak's (The movable compression strap design on the latest HAWG), and finally Siamese Slikclips. A more low-cost alternative is to just use velcro loops, but I imagine some people might want something more substantial.

-I'm actually okay with one set of compression straps, providing it's slanted in an intelligent way to compressed the pack up and in. After using my Kelty Peregrine with only one set of straps (which compression very well), these days I see two sets of compression straps as being quite fussy.

-Also not enthusiastic about all the velcro, both interior and exterior. But that's what a seam ripper is for!

-Question: Is that 1" webbing used for the pack? My mind is already thinking about the possibility of modding the plastic hardware...

Overall though, still a good first step! Can't wait to see what the second prototype will look like!

18. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

One more suggestion! Add 4 simple straps of webbing on the bottom of the pack (like on a Camelbak Linchpin) to attach or hang things from in a pinch. Personally ive found this to be and awesome feature on all the packs ive had that has it, and it seems like a really simple thing to add :)

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thats awesome!
    This^^

Perhaps a couple of webbing straps could incorperate the new hardware for the bottom connection of the beavertail. I love the idea.

Also, could the beavertail be reversable, with a loop field on the black underside, so that if someone wanted to place a lot of moral patches they could simply remove, reorient, and reattach the beavertail backwards? That way two things could happen...one is that the beavertail could act as a removable moral patch field pleasing those who want it & still pleaseing those who don't want a large area for patches. And two, it would allow for things carried inside the beavertail to be secured my velcro too. I like the beavertail but could see that I could carry a wider variety of items inside it if they could be secured by more than the compressioin of the beavertail against the main pack.
    It may be that there are not so many velcro type pouches on the market that could be adapted to that method of carry, or it could be another small pouch type that may become popular. (talk about an easy to access FAK)

Last edited by thePlumbah, Nov 8, 2014
    DFT17, Cobra 6 Actual and Fluffy like this.
  20. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

ghostyjack Loaded Pockets

I've just watched the video must thank Helm for addressing the concerns we raised after seeing the pack. Although I was one of those that wanted the shoulder straps permanently attached to the top of the bag. I can understand why now there is the adjustment. The main reason why I raised this in the first place was due to having a Condor Bison pack that has top adjustable straps and they keep coming loose, especially if I've only got it on one shoulder at the time. The Bison is my main travel bag that I use quite a bit as I travel by train to various different nuclear power stations across the UK and having the top straps loosening is a pain. Due to having to constantly change trains, the pack is on and off me on a regular basis and it's much easier to just carry it on one strap between trains. This though frequently ends up with me needing to readjust the right-hand strap (I carry it on the right shoulder) when I get on the next train. So if they are able to stay tight then I can cope with them.

I understand what you have the bottle pockets short and a lower compression strap may work. As this bag is for a more urban environment it should be able to hold other bottles apart from Nalgene's. If I've got this bag out in town or with me on a trip while on holiday, chances are I wont be carrying either my Nalgene or by big Kleen bottle, I'm more likely to have grabbed a bottle of Coke or water from a local newsagents or supermarket and they will typically be about 500ml and relatively narrow. The bag needs to be able to cope with these as well as not everyone will carry a large Nalgene or Kleen.

I must be missing something about these beavertails. Is the point of them to be able to hold an object like a cycling helmet or to be able to just throw in a jacket or just to be able to have a large dump pocket for larger items? If so then I have a bit of a concern with this one; you have points at the top and bottom to attach it to the pack, but there is nothing at the sides. How are items supposed to stay in it?

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.