1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New crowdsourced product developments as we go along......

Discussion in 'Alpha One Niner (bags & gear)' started by HELM, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I've also watched the video and agree with everyone else that this is turning out exceptionally well. A couple of further suggestions:

1. For all compartments that have only one zipper: have a small loop at the closed end so that a small padlock can lock that compartment. For security purposes I like to lock all compartments when I have to put my pack in an overhead compartment, such as are encountered on planes and trains. I have a short cable lock that I can usually thread through all zipper tabs (such as your knotted cords), but since you only have two such single zipper compartments the little tab is a nice additional option.

2. For the short water bottle compartments: I totally understand about being able to open the main compartment fully, but how about a fold-down shirt similar to the one on the main compartment of the Maxpud Fatboy. You could make it so that it stores inside the bottle compartment, but gives extra length, if needed. Frankly when I see short exterior bottle holders I usually stop looking right there: non-functional, regardless of reason, is still non-functional. I do like your idea of the second compression strap, but I think that in addition the fold down skirt is the answer to improving the short bottle holders.

3. On the pack straps: hard to tell for sure, but it appears that the padding is just a little thin. I would opt for just a bit more padding. You may also want to consider a little more padding for the carry handle, too.

4. Pack colors: please also consider the huge military, law enforcement, and hunting markets. In addition to the two tone exterior color scheme you have, I would suggest a darker SINGLE outside color, such as Coyote Brown. For contrast inside have a lighter color, such as desert tan. One or two variations of such solid exterior color combos should be sufficient (otherwise you'll have requests for Chinese Navy camo and Ethiopian Mountain troops camo, etc.). So, perhaps Coyote Brown (outside) and desert tan (inside) as one option and the second option could be black (outside) and a darker grey (inside). As an aside, the diamond threading doesn't seem to be an issue ... Kinda cool, actually.

5. For the bottom of the pack: two thoughts. First, have an additional layer of material, such as 1000d Cordura, as a foot or boot to provide more durability and water resistance to the bottom of the pack. It would go from the bottom up the sides for two or three inches. Second, ensure that there is extra interior padding at the bottom for the area where a computer would rest. That would protect the computer more if accidentally set down too hard. (Great that there's a padded sleeve, but the bottom pad is extra protection.)

6. For the two pockets that hold electronics (cell phone pocket and computer pocket) please consider adding in an elastic strap to secure over the top of these items in the pocket. Again, I really appreciate that they're both padded.

7. The panels for interior pen holders and pockets seem to be a bit flimsy. I've had more than my share of them tear, so I suggest just a bit thicker nylon for those panels.

8. One additional thought on the shoulder straps (and I may have missed this in the video), but I suggest adding in a small 1.5 to 2 inch compartment on each strap. These could be used for storage and easy access to small items such as a vehicle key, lip balm, a whistle, or a Victorinox Classic, etc.

Thank you for considering these and all of the other suggestions. I will definitely be a buyer, when you get these ready to go.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Nov 8, 2014
    Rainy, MarauderX and Raze like this.
  2. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Helm, we all appreciate you taking us so seriously and all the time you've spent on and for this forum. You have been extremely generous to us in so many ways.

This bag is so well thought out in so many areas. It is probably perfect for the majority of us. That said, I'm with Cobra, that short water bottle holder is a real bummer. It may even be a deal killer for me based on the fact that I almost always run two full size water bottles.

Of course, I'm not a jet setting urbanite, so I'm probably not the typical bag user.

3. tkill

tkill Loaded Pockets

This thing is perfect! I want it!. Please take my money now!

4. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

1) This is an awesome bag all around. So I will comment on my preferred changes, not the plethora of items I love.:)

2) Water bottle holders should be tall enough to fit 32oz wide mouth securely.

3) Zip the main compartment in front of the bottle holders, not into them so it can open wide

4) Yeah, lose the zip pockets on the outside of the water bottle holders. Just more cost it seems without much able to go in them.

5) Bag does not seem large enough to justify another compression strap.

6) Put loops in all 4 corners at the bottom to tie on gear.

Thank you for taking on this challenging operation!

thePlumbah likes this.
  5. Xader

Xader EDC Junkie

That. Is. An. Awesome. Idea.

thePlumbah and DFT17 like this.
  6. DFT17

DFT17 Loaded Pockets

Love the reversible baevertail as well.....best of both worlds!!

thePlumbah likes this.
  7. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

Some additional thoughts:

-A padded laptop compartment would double really well as an insulated hydration pouch. It almost makes sense to me to add a hydration hanger in the laptop compartment and let the routing port access that as well.

-The beavertail should cinch to the back panel, not just the front panel of the pack. This also allows it to compress the pack and let the entire load shift as a whole. Maybe let the current compression strap shift over to the beavertail when it is attached? This may mean reversing the male-female orientation on the compression strap so that the female end is on the front panel of the pack.

-Seems like people really want good, secure, lengthy side pouches. I wonder if we should just make the side pouches extend 3/4 if not halfway up the pack with some sort of zipper/top flaps to secure the contents...

Last edited by Akilae, Nov 11, 2014
    thePlumbah likes this.
  8. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

HELM, I am certainly interested and will be watching closely. I have a couple of tardy comments as well. I apologize if my comments are covered by the video; I can't watch it with sound right now. First, thanks for the dedicated CCW pocket! That is my only hangup concerning the original EDC pack. Unless the video image is flipped, though, location on the right side of the pack means left-handed draw if the pack is pulled around to the front. Ambidextrous access would be ideal. Also, if there is not already a semi-rigid panel between the weapon pocket and the back padding, the pack needs one. Otherwise, a full load pressing a weapon into the lumbar region might make the CCW pocket untenable.

9. Dan A.
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Dan A. Empty Pockets

Soooooo,
    Apparently you folks are a literal wellspring of great suggestions. So much so that I have now been brought on to finalize this design and get it into production. (So we can in fact take your money:D)
    OK, anyone still participating in this discussion please help me by answering a few targeted questions that are going to determine the final form of this.You have all been wonderful with ideas thus far, but if we don't lock this down as far as cost and performance parameters, its either not getting made because people keep adding to the soup or else this is going to cost so much that nobody will want to buy one.
    The sweet spot of this pack's design will be when we make it do 85-95% of what it could be made to do, at a price that is what 85-95% of people think is fair.
    We CAN make a "Holy Grail" of EDC packs but trust me when I say that we wont make many, nor will you folks want to buy many because they will cost too much.

Please just simple yes/no answers to the following so I can finish this instead of it ending up as vaporware. (Somebody's always gotta be the pack nazi I guess)

1. Velcro/PALS webbing inside the main compartment is something I must have. YES/NO
    2.I like full clamshell opening more than a full size (Nalgene 32oz)water bottle pocket. YES/NO
    3.I like fullsize (Nalgene 32oz) water bottle pockets more than a full clamshell opening. YES/NO
    4.I like a beavertail feature and I would pay 20% more to keep it. YES/NO
    5.I would like a pack without the "CCW" compartment if it cost 20% less than one with the CCW compartment. YES/NO

Fluffy likes this.
  10. DFT17

DFT17 Loaded Pockets

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Yes

11. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

1. No
    2. No
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Yes

Thanks, Dan.

Last edited by Fluffy, Nov 11, 2014
  12. Barrister

Barrister Loaded Pockets

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Yes

13. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

1) NO
    2) NO
    3) YES
    4) YES
    5) YES

14. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

1. NO
    2. NO
    3. YES
    4. YES
    5. YES

15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Same here.
    N
    N
    Y
    Y
    Y

But if a reversable Beavertail with a loop field (full length) was available...I'd pay 30% more :D

If the bottom had tether points, loops, or a criss-srossed shock cord, or something, I'd pay more.

Myrddraal and T.H.Cone like this.
  16. MarauderX

MarauderX Loaded Pockets

1 no
    2 yes
    3 no
    4 yes
    5 no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

1. no
    2. no
    3. yes
    4. no
    5. yes
    comment: full (nearly) clamshell, low drink pockets, and no CCW pocket are already available on the first EDC pack.

18. tkill

tkill Loaded Pockets

1) YES
    2) NO
    3) YES
    4) NO
    5) YES

19. Anyday Carry

Anyday Carry Loaded Pockets

N
    N
    Y
    N
    N

Sent from my ST21i using Tapatalk

20. AdrianChang

AdrianChang Loaded Pockets

1. N (but halfway would be nice. or around 4 rows.)
    2. Y
    3 N
    4. Y
    5. Y
    Pictures of how the pack rides on the back would be nice. Thanks! Great job on this one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.