1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New CountyComm Embassy Pens in Titanium and three new colors

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by chavez, Dec 26, 2010.

1. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

I'm in the same boat. I carry it everyday as an auxiliary pen for when fountain pens won't do the job and the weight, balance, and o-ring functions beautifully. It's got plenty of scratches but nothing monumental.

2. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

Take a scotchbrite pad to it. In about 3-5 minutes you will have a beautiful brushed finish.

3. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Are the threads smooth?

The beauty of anodized aluminum threads is why I have the aluminum embassy pen.

--flatline

4. mahler9

mahler9 Banned

The threads on my first-run Ti Embassy Pen are very smooth. The O-ring adds additional smoothness when closing. No binding or grinding whatsoever.

The fit-and-finish is really exceptional for the price point - the machining is awesome.

Gotta agree about the weight too - it balances nicely and has a great "feel" (subjective, I know) in the hand when writing or just flipping the pen around while watching TV. This was a very cool and unexpected gift from my better half.... it has a "pass down to the next generation" build quality to it, in my opinion.

MiKe at CountyComm said there may be some more anodized color options coming out for the Rev. 2 aluminum version. I'm holding out for natural hard coat or gray.........

mrlysle likes this.
  5. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Hi flatline. I have to agree with mahler9. I think the threads on my rev 2 Ti are just fine. If I could change ANYTHING at all about the Ti pen, it would be to take just a little off the very bottom of the cap, where the end of the cap meets the body when you screw the cap back on. Reason being so the cap would have maybe one more full turn before it tightened up. Mine only goes just a little past one full turn before it's tight, and I'd just like to see about 2 turns out of it. I did some rough measuring, and I think it could be done fairly easily, so I might get brave, and give it a go sometime myself. Other than that minor quibble, I love this Ti CountyComm pen! :D

6. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Yea, I thought about that. I'd probably have to work pretty hard with the scotchbrite, and even then would probably leave some color down in the knurling. But like you say, when I flamed it the second time, I might get some really nice stuff going on in there! I was gonna wait till this one showed some scratches and wear before redoing it, but when I do, I'll post a couple pics. :)

7. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

Yah, that is exactly what I did to my SS rev2 and black Alu rev2' chucked it up on my lathe and took off the bottom 1/8 or so, right up to the bottom of the stamped USA. 3.25 turns gets it close and doesn't come apart in my pocket anymore.

8. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Great! Thanks for the tip! I was hoping not to have to take too much, and get too close to the USA stamp. Thats great news. I don't have a lathe, but I'm confident that if I chuck it up in my drill press, over a diamond stone, I can probably nibble enough off the bottom of the cap to accomplish what I need and not hurt anything. Tnx again! :)

9. metropolicity

Same idea...I would cut up some thin cardboard from a cereal box to stop the chuck from marring the finish.

Here's a pic of how far I went, you'll see the bottom of the A of USA. it's a little tough to see since its cerakoted OD green.

[​IMG]

It'll take you a little white but some 100 grit and some breaks in between so it won't over heat and you are in the clear!

And just so it's somewhere, therest of the ODriffic set.

[​IMG]

Ttown and mrlysle like this.
  10. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Sweet! Thank 'ya sir. You know you have some cool stuff don't you? I didn't think so, that's why I'm remindin' ya'! lol

11. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

What coating did you use for that OD stuff? I'd love to have my Ti pen get a hard coat of some kind.

12. metropolicity

Cerakote, Look up Jeff Forbush at 4bushweaponsrefinishingsystems.com

ericb445 likes this.
  13. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

Thanks.. I fired off an email to him.

14. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

Had Jeff Cerakote my Ti Pen. Love how this thing can be customized on a whim.

Here are the results:

[​IMG]

That image is from Jeff. Once I get the assembled pen back I'll try and get some more photos of the results.

mrlysle likes this.
  15. metropolicity

Lookin good!!

mrlysle likes this.
  16. mcmc

mcmc Loaded Pockets

metro, I still remember when I first read about your little cap mod.
    Would love to have someone do this for mine!
    I guess I could try it on a DMT or sandpaper...but I don't feel confident about doing it level, and also without somehow messing up the finish.

17. masada

masada Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know what screws are used in the embassy pen? I'm planning to make a ti clip for mine, but I would like some longer screws with the same threading.

18. lornranger

lornranger Empty Pockets

Does anyone having the aluminium version have your cap flaring? Mine is flaring... it now wobble when capped in place. I had a new stainless steel shipped from them (they were back in stock since early April) and now worried it will exhibit the same symptom. Oh, btw the stainless steel already had a ding when I received it (probably from shipping) :eek:

mcmc likes this.
  19. mcmc

mcmc Loaded Pockets

I had a copper Embassy that flared. However, my Ti one does not, though I've used and abused it EDC for 5 years. Alu is fairly soft, Ti is hard, and so is steel. I think you should be GTG.

lornranger likes this.
  20. hedonist222

hedonist222 Empty Pockets

Any thoughts gents?

I ordered a copper and a black aluminum.
    I'm going to hold the black aluminum one till my son is 10 years old, in 5 years.
    Then I'll give it to him.