1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New CountyComm Embassy Pens in Titanium and three new colors

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by chavez, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

just cut a small square from a rubber band and push it to the bottom of the barrel......works just as well(if not better) than the orings.

2. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

Got my titanium Embassy Pen today. It's technically a Christmas present so I only had until my wife got home to play with it before I had to relinquish it to her. If I remember correctly I received #0248/1000

First impressions: The weight was perfect. It felt incredibly good in the hand. I still like the copper more, both because I just like copper as a metal more than I like titanium, and because I like the added weight (my writing hand hasn't been this fit since my second grade cursive assignments). The titanium pen seems to require more turns of the cap to take it off, and the action is—and I'm trying to choose my adjectives wisely here—grainy. Not grainy as in there is grit in the thread, but grainy as in the two titanium pieces feel (and sound) like they're harder than the much softer copper pen's. Maybe 'cause they are. Point is it's interesting to mess with the two pens back to back. They're the same, but completely different beasts. They feel different, write different, and sound different.

I'm finishing up a review on the copper pen that'll go in the gear review section. Expect a review on the titanium pen a few days after Christmas… :p

3. mattp

mattp Loaded Pockets

mhphoto, I completely agree with you. I recently got my copper pen (#146), and it feels much more refined than the titanium, despite being the 'same' pen. The cap is buttery smooth to take on and of, even more so if you put a minute amount of Vaseline on the o-ring to lubricate it. It makes the titanium pen (#417) that I've had for a while feel like a lightweight, and I used to think it was heavy! The gritty feeling of the titanium threads doesn't worry me, it reminds me that it's a tough pen, but I also prefer the copper. I haven't lubed the o-ring on the titanium one yet, I think this might help a little.
    A couple of minutes with a rag and some Brasso and the copper gets a beautiful warm shiny glow, but within a few hours it's oxidising again; it's interesting to watch it develop over a few days before giving it another polish. The titanium is similarly easy to refinish, a couple of minutes with a green scourer and it looks like new. I'd like to get my hands on a stainless version, to complete the trio, but I just need to wait for someone to decide to part ways with their O-ring version, I'm not really into the newer one CC have brought out.
    Cheers, Matt

4. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

I know what you mean about trying to get them all. I ordered the titanium one for my Christmas. My birthday's in January, so there may be aluminum and SS pens in my future… ;D:laugh:

5. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

Okay, my wife ran some errands today so I snuck the titanium pen out for some pictures. Please excuse the poor lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I usually take macros in the sun, but these were with my Maelstrom X10 so they don't look so good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One interesting thing I found was that the diamonds on the copper model are etched within, but the titanium model's diamonds aren't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just for fun…

[​IMG]

mrlysle likes this.
  6. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

DO NOT USE PETROLEUM JELLY ON ORINGS!

petroleum jelly causes orings to swell and deteriorate , and they will eventually distort and not hold shape.

only use air tool oil, or other silicone based lubricant on orings.

7. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

8. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

I found an ancient can of Brasso in a cabinet today and it shined my copper pen up (like a new penny ;D). Unfortunately they changed the Brasso formula last year and it's completely junk now.

If you're still needing those screws I'd be happy to relay them to you.

That's a great resource for lubes. Personally I don't get fancy with my lights or pens (in fact I haven't even had to lube the copper pen, and I don't anticipate having to lube the titanium one). For my lights I use good old Hoppe's #9 gun oil.

9. mattp

mattp Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the advice, I had read that ages ago on CPF regarding flashlights, but had somehow forgotten. Hopefully one application won't do too much harm, and I never did the copper O-ring.

Thanks, you are a champion! PM sent.

Cheers, Matt

10. mcmc

mcmc Loaded Pockets

How has everyone's use with the Embassy pen been? Specifically, I read somewheres that people found their caps ended up flaring out a little bit after extended use, so that it made the cap/body connection a little wobbly.

Have any of you experienced this? Perhaps it's different for different metals?

I have a Ti and an SS, and wondering if it's ok to crank the cap down when closed, to keep the cap secure.

11. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

Well, I've got the Ti and Cu, both V1 with the o-rings. I'm careful to not over tighten either of them, but luckily with the o-rings I don't have to. I've carried on or the other every day since August and never has one opened itself in my pocket. The only issue I've had is the Ti has a few small scratches (cosmetic) and I dropped the Cu's cap a few months ago (slightly hindering the smooth capping action), but it was very easy to bend it back. I'm still loving mine just as much as I did when I first got them.

12. mcmc

mcmc Loaded Pockets

Cool, thanks for the report.

I just dropped my Ti for the first time onto asphalt. Black marks but they rubbed off, it was just the asphalt embedded onto the Ti. The scratches were surprisingly very shallow. Character marks now =)

13. TheTomas

TheTomas Loaded Pockets

I dropped mine on asphalt once, I think the ground took more damage than the pen.

14. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Hi all! Just got my Ti Embassy pen today from County Comm. Looks like we've got new serial numbers now. My serial number is 1F2857. Don't know if that correlates to "Ver 2" or not. Anyway, been a sweet week! Picked up a new Bradley Alias II yesterday, and my Ti Embassy pen came today! Followed some advice from here, and immediately swapped out the med refill for a fine. Very nice! My new, and current EDC! Quick pic for ya'll. :D
    [​IMG]

15. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Ok, decided to flame color my Ti Embassy pen this past weekend. Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the results. The cap was obviously easier than the barrel, due to the thickness, or rather I should say, thinness, of the cap. But for my first one, I can live with it. Later, I might try to polish the existing colors back off, and redo the whole thing, since I learned a lot this time. Here's a couple shots I also posted over on the "EDC writing instruments" thread. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

Looks awesome! Flame or current induced?

17. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Thankyou! Flame induced. :) I like it, but learned a lot. If I ever polish it off, and do it over, I expect a better result next time.

18. Scottyzedinosaur

Scottyzedinosaur Loaded Pockets

I don't think you can polish off flame anodizing...only current induced anodizing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

19. mahler9

mahler9 Banned

You can polish off any and all Ti anodization, whether it was current-generated or through heat.

I like how the colors came out.... but if you do decide to polish it off and start again, you're never going to get the color that sits in between the knurling. You'll have to get the pen sandblasted to get it back to bare metal. Depending on the color you want to anodize it, the contrasting colors in the knurling might look really cool....

mrlysle likes this.
  20. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

Didn't see they came out with a Ti version 2 from Countycomm.

I've had my version 1 for a year now and have carried it every day. I haven't had any issues at all with it. I'm on the original o-ring with no problems. I tighten the cap down tight every time I've used it and I don't have any flaring or other problems with the thread or cap.

At one point I had it stonewashed to match a Chris Reeve Sebenza. It came out darker than I liked so I took scotchbrite to it. Now it looks like it has a stonewashed, polished appearance which I really like.

I thought $100 was a bit much to be paying for a pen, but after a year of use I have no qualms about it. If I lost this one I would definitely purchase another. The Ti version is so much nicer in the hand than the aluminum and stainless steel versions. The Ti is just the perfect weight.

mrlysle likes this.