1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Carabiner (pic heavy)...

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by DeepBlue, Feb 1, 2014.

1. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Thought I'd share this. A new carabiner from a well known climbing manufacturer. Not that unusual perhaps but the load rating is only 4kN (approx 880lbs) rather that the usual 23kN plus and it comes with a strict warning that it's not for climbing/personal protection use. Well, it is an attractive colour I guess:

[​IMG]

OK, surely there must be a bit more to it than that. So here it is with some others. Neat aren't they.

[​IMG]
    They are actually very new (DMM XSRE model). Intended for gear clipping and other odd jobs. The wire gate krab on the right is about the smallest regular climbing krab available; the twist gate krab is pretty much a standard size one. The XSRE's are tiny, made of hot die forged aluminium and weigh in at just 8g (0.28oz) but can still take 400kg / 880lb / 4kN. Plus, like all DMM's gear they are batch tested and individually laser engraved with serial numbers - just in case. Mini works of art and way better than any other mini krab I've seen. Some more pics:

[​IMG]

They really don't want you to use this for climbing though. Apart from the warning sign, you can see here how the Krab nose is machined to fit into a shaped recess on the gate to give extra strength and without being a snag point when threading gear on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like these! Mini carabiner, beautifully made and stupidly strong. And not too expensive. OK that's not exactly cheap but compared with titanium toys...

(Oh, they do seem to be a bit scarce at the moment.)

Last edited by DeepBlue, Feb 1, 2014
  2. DK21291

DK21291 Loaded Pockets

I love finding carabiner from climbing companies, usually nifty colors and designs. i usually use them for clipping extra gear onto my bags when i travel, so loads aren't terribly important. nice review!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Just realised that the photos make the coloured carabiners look rather pink. They are actually a strong anodized purple!

4. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I really like these! I carry a locking Omega Climbing Carabiner (I think it's aluminum but it is nice and strong; improvised, yet non threatening knuckle duster always in hands) with my keys, because all cheapo "non climbing" carabiners are too flimsy. I tried the Nite Ize S Biners and got over that fast.

These may be a happy in-between. A "non climbing" carabiner from a climbing company! Good find.

Edit - Indeed they are hard to find.

Last edited by ManVsLawn, Feb 2, 2014
  5. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I don't know why, but I also have a thing for carabiners. I must have a couple dozen, not including the Titanium climbing ones on my BST thread, in steel, aluminum, & Ti. I have a couple on bags but they mostly just sit around.

Nice find, they seem like a good size and of much better quality than the $2 Al 'biners with the flimsy gate. It looks like they are a UK company and probably haven't made their way to the States yet; I'll have to look around.

6. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Afraid so, they have only just started appearing over here in climbing shops on-line. I'm sure DMM must export to the US so it's probably just a question of time.

7. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

I like those!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

8. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16 Loaded Pockets

Very nice. Too bad I just bought some grimlock biners. I like these way better and they look to be similar size.

9. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

I can't find a USA vendor for these yet. Shame because I'd like to order a few!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

10. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

Man, those are nice. I can't seem to find any carabiners that AREN'T tapered on one end so that's perfect. Next time I am oveseas, I am going to keep an eye out for a street vendor with piles of biners to sift through.

11. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

If you want to see just how well these are crafted take a trip over to DMM's website ant take a look at the factory tour video. The curious thing is that they must have made two different sets of dies (which is not a cheap job). The black biners have the DMM as a raised imprint from the die while the anodised versions have the DMM laser etched into them.

These small ones are modelled on the classic oval biners. The modern climbing biners are D shaped to keep the rope as close to the strong back spine. Ovals are much better for rigging purposes (pulleys or artificial climbing) where other gear is clipped in because gear does not all slip towards the spine and get bunched at an angle. DMM know their stuff so make their mini biners that way - for holding other gear rather than for falling on! I suspect other mfrs of cheap utility biners just copy what they see are the style of the regular climbing biners without understanding the reasons behind the different designs!

Good luck in your search of street vendors...

12. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Available in the United States at:
    • SherrillTree (arborists)
    • BentGate (travel/outdoor store)
    • 123Mountain (climbing equipment)
    No experience with any of this online retailers.

In addition... if you go to the DMMClimbing website, and click on the "Retailers" link you are provided with a map of retailers. By default, the map is zoomed into to the UK and Ireland.

However, if you step back from the trees, you can see that the DMM forest includes the United States. In fact, with regards to DMM retailers, some areas of the US could be considered.... a target rich environment. ;)

[​IMG]

Not all DMM retailers carry all DMM products, but they should be able to special order them.

ATB,
    Sam

13. dy5

dy5 Empty Pockets

Re: 123Mountain. There are a number of negative reviews on the web (Backpackinglight forum, for instance), and my own experience with them was not good when ordering these carabiners.

14. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Fair enough.... that's why I posted the disclaimer about having no experience with the listed vendors. Hopefully, everyone's fairly conversant with online transaction CYA procedures.

Hopefully for the folks in the NorthEast US, the fact that EMS is listed as a retailer offers some options. For myself, in addition to EMS, several smaller operations near Monongahela National Forest/George Washington National Forest are listed as retailers.

ATB,
    Sam