1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Benchmade and Surefire Pen. Who has one?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by RyanMalpiede, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

I've got the Benchmade and the Surefire pen. I like them both. The Benchmade pen is great because the cap posts on the barrel nicely, with a nice positive "pop" sound. I like the anodizing better on the Benchmade as it seems like it will show wear and scratches less than some of the thicker anodizing out there. I wish the Benchmade did not have the pointed end, only because I dropped on the concrete floor at work and it landed point first and flattened it (with a sort of asymmetrical burr)and I had to smooth it over with a polishing wheel. The Surefire pen is very sturdy and well made, with a super universal refill feature. It could stand some light knurling around the pocket clip area though, as it has a tendency to slide out of the pocket when clipped.

2. Rob65

Rob65 Empty Pockets

Yeah, I have to admit the Benchmade pen looks a little aggressive. Most of the reactions when I show it to friends are along the lines of: "Dude, you could poke that sucker through someone's skull!" lol!

Robert :)

3. Omning

Omning Loaded Pockets

I tried out the Benchmade pen at SHOT the other day.

I did not like it, one bit. It looks too funky for me, and the grip when writing wasn't comfortable.

4. akubra

akubra Loaded Pockets

I too own a Surefire pen and like it for the most part. There are a few things that could be improved though, IMHO :

-There is some play between the top and the barrel when the cartridge is retracted. It feels a bit jiggly and not as "solid" as I would like it to. I guess the threads could have used slighty tighter tolerances.

-The pocket clip could be a tad longer-it would make for an even better, slightly more "elegant" look. I mean the clip is a bit short compared to the length of the pen.

-There is a rattling noise when one is shaking the pen. This comes from the cartridge adjusting mechanism in the top of the pen, which obviously sits too loose.

-Removing the tip for the first time, to get access to the adjusting feature, is really hard. I couldn`t get it done without pliers, which of course bears a high risk of ruining the stainless steel tip (or "crown").

These are probably minor issues, yet they bother me a little-especially given the price tag. There shouldn`t be any play or noises, as this takes away from the soild feel of the pen for me. Call me anal! :-X

On the bright side, the pen does feel good in the hand, despite it being quite big. I guess that`s because the barrel has a triangular shape, which makes it easier to hold than one would actually think. I also like the fact that each pen has a serial #. And of course the CNC machining and the HAIII are nice too. How about a natural HAIII version? ;D

5. Gryphon

Gryphon Loaded Pockets

I have both of these pens. I don't like either one of them, for mostly the same reasons mentioned throughout this thread. What I do like is the Rick Hinderer titanium modular kubaton pens. Yes, they're expensive. Also the anodizing can scratch off on the matte models upon contact with other metal. But I haven't found a better tactical pen anywhere...would be interested if anyone is aware of anything remotely similar to these.

6. peacefuljeffrey

To which your reaction should be, "Well DUH!" :laugh: :lolhammer:

7. JohnnyDeep

JohnnyDeep Empty Pockets

The Tactical Pen niche obviously is an economically interesting segment. Surefire in coming with a second smaller model and Benchmade with no less than 4 new pens, the 1150/1155 and the 1200/1210. I particularly like the 1210, but have not seen them in real life yet. :popcorn:

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Who would have thought it?

I'll end up buying one such pen before I get out, but still...

-Trevor

Edit: The new Benchmade pens:

1. 1150-1155

2. 1200-1210

9. SnWnMe

SnWnMe Loaded Pockets

:censored: is up with the 1150-1155 ? Ribbed for pleasure? I don't like the Hinderer for the same reason. Too many flutes and ribs. Give me smooth lines like a regular pen.

10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

And added gripping or "gripability" if I had to guess.

-Trevor

11. peacefuljeffrey

Guys, don't forget about the Tuff-Writer pens... I actually prefer their design to those mentioned in this thread already. I got one a few months ago and wrote a thread about it that maybe you should check out, in the interest of making an informed decision about spending so much on a pen...

12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

*grins* I'm just waiting on Tuff to release their sanitized version.

-Trevor

13. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

tmedina, sanitized version?

14. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Salt! I feel a tactical pen purchase comin' on!

15. Aaron SBT

Aaron SBT Empty Pockets

Yeah...why would one need a sanitized pen, knife or any other piece of gear? I suppose there are some people who just don't like the look of logos or writing/etching on their edc items...like assassins traveling abroad and leaving their gear behind in a target's open wound! LOL
    :cool:
    edit: I assume you guys are talking about "sterile" weapons which have no markings or indicators of country of origin or manufacture....if I'm wrong, just tell me to shut it. ;)

16. SnWnMe

SnWnMe Loaded Pockets

I think TM meant that TW is releasing a logo less version. The last thing a tactical pen needs is a graphic of a hand holding a pen in a stabbing grip.

Speaking of TW, it looks good but that screw on cap will get old quick.

17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

You guys are write (sorry) - in certain situations, company functions and the like, the presence of obvious logos can be considered unprofessional or in poor taste if it isn't your logo.

And let's face it, the name "Tuff Writer" could raise eyebrows on something you don't really want to draw attention to.

I know Tuff Writer was planning on releasing a "clean" version, but I don't know when.

Screw-on cap: Yeah, but I also imagine this wouldn't be your daily use, go-to pen. I have a Parker Jotter with a Fisher pressurized cartridge for the desired level of functional performance.

I believe a couple of people chimed in on this topic in the "Tuff Writer" thread, if you'd like opinions other than mine.

-Trevor

Edit: Aaron, the term can also be applied to uniforms - removing unit patch, rank and so on. Easier to do with the new velcro ACUs.

18. akubra

akubra Loaded Pockets

It is a nice pen, however I think that the screw on cap would be a pain on a pen that one uses frequently. That`s why I went with the SF pen. :)

19. SnWnMe

SnWnMe Loaded Pockets

I'm ready to pull the trigger on either the SF or BM.

IMO:

SF pros
    No cap to lose. IMO, this scores the most points for the SF
    Doesn't look tactical
    HAIII

SF cons
    It's too long and too fat for EDC. IMO, an EDC pen should be able to ride anywhere on your person regardless of your attire so you have easy access to it. I won't buy a nice pen and not EDC it for sure. This is probably my biggest concern about the SF.

BM pros
    Shorter, slimmer and a tad lighter
    A few $$ less
    Available in PINK :lolhammer: and other non tactical colors.
    Easy on easy off cap with good cap retention compared to other capped designs

BM cons
    The spike looks "poseurish".
    Not HAIII
    Cap =  two handed operation.

Decisions decisions...

20. FlaRider

FlaRider Loaded Pockets

When I visited the Surefire display at the Shot Show last week I noticed that they have a new pen out. It was smaller, lighter, in colors and had a clicker to put the ink cartridge in and out. It was interesting. I also noticed that they have two other colors in the original style pen.