1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

new bag for edc and college

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by glockandroll, Jun 1, 2015.

1. glockandroll

glockandroll Empty Pockets

Hi all. I've read almost every new bag debate on this forum and I still cannot make up my mind, so I will ask you guys and gals for your opinions.

Firstly, here is my intended use for the bag. I am a college student, majoring in engineering(lots of books to carry around). I also like to keep some edc items and a first aid kit in my bag. I like a god amount of organization in my bag if I can get it. I would also use the pack for edc in my truck when I'm off campus, and take it on some small day hikes.

Next, I'll give you some inside as to what bags I've tried and what I've liked and didn't like about them.

Condor ambi sling bag, liked the molle and velcro fielsld, front admin pouch, and internal molle. Didn't like the sling except when I had a broken collar bone and wasn't allowed to use a 2 strap pack. Also, the mesh pouches inside were a little much, too many of them. And sometimes the capacity was lacking.

LA police gear 3 day pack.

I loved the capacity, although I did fill it up a fee times, I liked the big main pocket and 2 straps. The compression straps were nice to squash it down when not full. I didn't like the lack of organization and it felt a like the construction was slightly cheap.

Now for the bags I'm looking at.
    5.11 rush 12 and 24
    All hazards prime and nitro
    North face recon
    and a few kelty bags.

Thanks for your help and input.

2. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

As a fellow college student, I can tell you I have loved my GORUCK GR1. The one thing I struggle with is the lack of an admin pocket, but there are places inside and out where you could attach a molle admin pocket, I just have yet to get one. As far as capacity, it does a good job of holding lots of heavy books, or stuff for an overnight trip. It will also be the last backpack you will need to buy for quite a while. The biggest con for me was the price tag. But in the case of the GR1 I think you get more than what you pay for. I love it.

Frailer and firemedic183 like this.
  3. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

baconboyrlz Loaded Pockets

I tok am a college student, and have been using a Rush 24 for almost two years now. Love the amount of pockets it has, so everything has it's own place. I love how, when fully loaded, it does not put a lot of strain on your back. The organization is spectacular, there's the admin pocket, top front, mesh pockets in the main compartment, perfect for my laptop charger, mouse, and snacks, the sunglasses pocket, and the water bladder pocket. I have also used the bag for my karate bag, to hold my uniform, and during the summer, my uniform and a small cooler for lunch. I am always surprised by how well it handles a load, and can be stuffed. So, I recommend the 24 completely.

4. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

The Rush 12 won't have much room for books. The Rush 24 will probably fit your needs. The GORUCK bags, as mentioned, don't have a lot of internal admin but they're great bags (albeit expensive). You might want to check out the Spec Ops Gear T.H.E. Pack with their Main-Frame Organizer. Hazard4's new Officer pack has a fairly unique design that you might like. It's in the same price range as the GORUCK, though. Their Second Front pack is a little less expensive.

I really can't recommend The North Face.

5. M4Lki3r
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

M4Lki3r Loaded Pockets

I will second the Rush 24. Have one and am always amazed at how well it carries heavier loads. I use it as my commuter and carry-on bag, but have used it as a hiking backpack too.

Great internal storage and organization
    Lots of room and carries the weight well
    Compression straps have helped me keep the size down when TSA thought it was too big

baconboyrlz likes this.
  6. banu

banu Loaded Pockets

Rush 12 is a nice bag but too small for your needs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Nevada

Nevada Loaded Pockets

If I were you, I'd take a look at the 5.11 Covrt 18. It's between the Rush 12 & Rush 24 in size, and much lower profile. They also have a new pack, the Covrt Boxpack, which may do the trick for you. Me, I think it doesn't have quite enough admin capability, but you could easily do an "admin board" if that's your style.

Heading in a second direction, you may want to consider the Rail Runner or Rail King Railroad Rucksacks from Redoxx. Very stout and durable bags, made in Montana, not cheap, lifetime warranty, industrial not tactical. You have to actually search for them on their site, they don't reveal them through their menus. Engineering student, railroad engineer, same difference. Right? ;) Okay, maybe not, but both of y'all have to carry a passel of books, manage paperwork, and get it done.

8. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

I have an osprey quantum and it is phenomenal for a school bag!! I use it as a paramedic student. I carry a lot of books in it for school, and I use it for my clinical days at hospitals, and on the ambulance as well. Osprey has a no questions asked 100% guaranteed warranty and the bag has been great so far. I also have a Goruck GR1 and it is hands down my most favorite bag that I have EVER had. It is versatile, easy to use, durable, and just pure awesome. What it is not however is huge. I decided to keep it dedicated to my EDC, and use my osprey pack for strictly school. I hope that this helps.

9. The Toecutter

The Toecutter Loaded Pockets

Vertx Gamut bag, I don't have one but it looks well thought out and isn't too bad on the wallet.

10. glockandroll

glockandroll Empty Pockets

Thanks for the replies. I had guessed that the rush 12 was too small but it's nice to hear first hand. I lIke the look of the gamut edc plus but I have heard that it doesn't hold loads well. I like the look of the osprey, but I think I would like the organization and adaptability of the rush 24 more. And I would like a go ruck but it is out of my price range for sure at the moment.

I received an email from la police gear today about a sale and when I checked it out, with the coupon I can get the rush 24 for 103 before shipping. Should I jump on one at that price or look for a better deal.

11. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

$103 is a good price. Check the 5.11 web site and Amazon.com for sales. The Rush 24 can be had for $103 and FREE Shipping. Good luck.

[​IMG]

Last edited by EXCALIBUR, Jun 3, 2015
  12. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

You can get the 5.11 All Hazards Nitro for only $90 in the BST section...

For the record, I disagree mightily with the assertion that you can't fit many books in a Rush 12. I've packed my Rush 12 with numerous big textbooks and the Nitro as well. As the pics I posted in the 5.11 bag thread can attest to... See post #709: http://edcforums.com/threads/show-us-your-5-11-bags.109646/page-36

13. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

It's very likely overkill for what you want, but I switched over to an ATS Raid II for a short while. It's fit the bill for carrying both books and tools from class to shop to hangar. It has no internal organization at all,but an admin pouch on the outside kept the essentials in easy reach while the main compartment held the rest. I'm so glad I'm not doing that anymore.

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would at least look at the Bihn Brain Bag and Synapse 25 before deciding.
    They are not tactical looking at all and hold a lot more than it seems they might.
    The Brain Bag especially is a bottomless pit of a bag and can also carry several books and computers together in better than average protection in separate compartments.

I notice most suggestions so far are of Tactical oriented bags and these are a step in another direction while still being built to last.
    Many Camelbak models are the same way.

Myrddraal likes this.
  15. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Correct, the 12 is highly expandable but holds firm and slim when not loaded. I think its webbibg on the sides that holds its form!

GatorMedic likes this.
  16. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Rush12 load out:
    [​IMG]

rr1071 likes this.
  17. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

18. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

19. batex

batex Empty Pockets

+1 for the GoRuck GR1

firemedic183 likes this.
  20. Fish

Fish Loaded Pockets

I have the LAPG 3 day pack, and operator pack. I EDCed the 3 day pack for awhile and I liked the size of it and the price. The cons was exactly what you said. The lack of organization. So re purposed it to range bag, and bought an Operator bag. The operator has way more organization and a bit bigger as well. Along with the 2 side pockets as well. I then decided to re purpose that to my GHB and have it packed in my car. I now EDC a Targus laptop bag I got from my work at a party. It is a lot smaller and I miss the size. However, family and work give me less of a hard time for carrying around a Targus VS a "tactical" backpack. I would have totally rocked an Operator at school though.

I have nothing against 5.11s, Vanquest and other name brand bags. I am more of a bang for buck guy. The name brand bags for sure have value and will most likely outlast LAPG bags, but so far mine have been nothing but awesome and a bigger bang for a smaller buck.

Just my two pennies.

kikaida likes this.