1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New AZ carry law

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by xkalifornian, Apr 28, 2010.

1. xkalifornian

xkalifornian Empty Pockets

I'm exited that the great state of Arizona just passed a new conceal carry law. We are now the third state in the union where you do not need a permit to carry concealed.
    Awesome! Now we just need more states to follow suit.
    Apparently this new law was under the national radar due to that "other" new law we just passed.

2. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Yep 3 states down 47 to go!! I wish for the same here in Florida with an open carry option.

3. Rquagliata

Rquagliata Loaded Pockets

When is this law going in to effect? And do you know what the state bill number it was, I'd like to check it out.

4. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

Note that Arizona is doing it the smart way: leaving their CCW license system in place for those who need a license to carry in other states (reciprocity agreements). If you just plan to carry in AZ, no license needed. Kudos to Arizona!

Now if only TX would follow suit, plus add open carry...

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

5. xkalifornian

The Constitutional Carry bill (SB 1108) was signed by Governor Brewer on April 16 and will go into effect 90 days from the signing.

6. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

oops, wrong thread.

7. Rquagliata

Rquagliata Loaded Pockets

Thanks x for the bill number.

I live in Phoenix and I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand its good, the right to bear arms is fundamental to our beliefs. On the other hand I dont want some stupid 21yr old who just got a "gat" and not knowing the rules or proper handgun etiquette strolling down the street. I know there are those who do CC with out a permit, but there could be repercussions we cant even begin to imagine yet.

my $0.02

8. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

This is not precisely accurate. It won't go into effect until 90 days after the legislature adjourns, which they haven't yet. So, the exact date won't be known until they adjourn...then it'll be 90 days later.

Tim

9. somber

somber Banned

I feel exactly the same way. I know that it's great that law abiding citizens can carry concealed now, but they could do that before with an 8 hour class and $99 on any Saturday before, and there was at least checks to the legality of said person. Another thought is that with carrying concealed without a license being against the law, some criminals who are caught on the street for reasonable suspicion AND carrying concealed can be caught up in the system, but so can law abiding citizens. So, I don't see why if it is a right our country is founded on, why a citizen of the United States should have to earn that right. Because I'm a law abiding citizen who has been stuck in a position where I have to choose between protecting my life - carry concealed in situations without a license, or break a law that is limiting my Constitutional freedoms.

I'm mixed about it, nonetheless.

10. xkalifornian

Thanks for the proper legalities Tim.
    As for worrying about every Tom, Dick and Harry who may now carry concealed, I can't and won't. Our society has been conditioned over the past few years to fear the "evils" of gun ownership in general. We forget that not all that many years ago people were allowed to carry any way they chose as a regular course of daily life. There will always be a small percentage of people who will do the wrong thing. I have faith that our God given freedom and liberties will be exercised properly by the vast majority.

11. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

Considering what I've been hearing, in the news, about Phoenix having such a high rate of kidnapping this law is just what is needed.

12. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I agree. Kudos to AZ.

13. JCummings

JCummings Loaded Pockets

Congrats. to Arizon for becoming #3.
    It is nice not to have to jump through hoops just tobe able to exercise your 2nd amednment rights.
    In a way you're better off than here in Vermont.
    With NO Vermont LTC there is no resprocity anywhere and no license to use for verification for any out of state permit anywhere.
    I can live with these hassels though.

14. somber

somber Banned

The kidnapping is related to drugs. Children won't be carrying the guns, anyway, and it's not legal for you to shoot someone if you see what 'appears' to be a kidnapping. The law isn't condoning the carry of a firearm so that citizens can now police the city, either.

I'm not saying that this law isn't right, it is upholding a right that is given to us by the Constitution.

15. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

Yes, the kidnappings seem to be carried out by the narcotraficantes or those connected to them. I've witnessed -- while armed -- what might have been an abduction, or more likely, was an ugly domestic situation. I didn't intervene but called the cops with descriptions, license plate, etc. This was not in Phoenix, BTW.

Here in Texas, in the little border town of Ft. Hancock, there's been a flood of refugees from the town across the border in Mexico: El Porvenir (it should have been named Sal Si Puedes -- leave if you can). The narcos put a sign in the town's plaza telling residents to leave by the beginning of April or they would be killed. Then they began burning houses. Now in Ft. Hancock, everybody's scared. There have been threats from the drug gangs: to murder Mexican kids in the schools unless a ransom is paid. Cars with young men inside have been following school buses, seeing where each kid lives. A group of young men showed up at a basketball game. High schools in other towns have cancelled games in Ft. Hancock, out of fear. I imagine gun sales to area residents have been brisk.

On the other hand, that girl who was found a few months ago in Calif., after years of sexual slavery, was abducted in front of her father. He was unarmed and unable to stop the kidnapping. Maybe things would have been different if he'd been able to carry. Perhaps the primary reason I carry is protection of family members around me. There's nothing I wouldn't sacrifice to protect the kids in our extended family.

Congratulations again to Arizona!
    (C'mon, Texas, time to catch up!)

All my best,
    Dirty Bob

16. outofdoors

outofdoors Empty Pockets

I am not sure about the new law either, I am permitted and do carry on most days, I am glad i had to take the training to receive the permit. I know a lot of people that i am ok with them being able to carry now, but i am not ok with any joe blow getting to carry whatever piece they have. There a lot of laws and regulations that go into carrying. I guess i will just need to carry that much more often now.

17. AKfreak

AKfreak Empty Pockets

At first I was concerned about it as well but think about this. AZ has always been an OC state so there really is no big difference if some dumb@ss goes out and gets dumb with a gun. I am for it now because if my wife is with me, she is proficiently trained with firearms but does not yet have her permit, she can carry in her purse without OC'ing. If I didn't have a permit and I was OC'ing and my jacket or t-shirt accedentally covered it, I wouldn't get in trouble now.

18. Hoverman

Hoverman Loaded Pockets

Way to go AZ!

19. Mowbrayster

Mowbrayster Empty Pockets

From what I understood no CCW is needed but you still cannot carry into a bar or restaurant concealed. Which I'm all for but this sounds a bit tricky considering there are malls with open food courts. Are those not considered restaurants? I don't know though.

20. outofdoors

outofdoors Empty Pockets

if you are licenced you can carry into establishments that serve alcohol, if that establishment is not posted as no weapons. If you are not licenced you are not allowed to carry into those establishments that serve alcohol. Or into state parks/city parks, as a licenced person i am allowed to carry more places.