1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Apple Watch - Game Changer or Just Another Thing

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by scbubba, Sep 9, 2014.

?

Apple Watch - Wearable Game changer or Just another gizmo

1. It will define the wearable product market

15.3%
  2. It isn't that far ahead of the competition

9.7%
  3. Just another gizmo

27.8%
  4. I already have a smart phone, don't need a smart watch too

23.6%
  5. Don't care - where are the knives and flashlights :)

23.6%
  1. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Before the iPhone 6/6+ and the vaporware Apple watch, Samsung revealed it's Samsung Gear S, a wearable device which practically functions in the same way as most mobile phones and tablets do. The Gear S will feature a screen that measures about 2 inches (diagonally). Unlike other wearables the Gear S watch run TIZEN OS.

I cannot find any real advantage, motivation and financila reason for considering any wearable at this time. There are occasions I do not wear a watch since I have my smartphone with me nearly all the time. When and if wearables come down greatly in price and offer enough functinality to justify the purchase then I might start using a wearable.

Depending on the success of Apple Pay, Google, Microsoft, and others will most likely develop a competitive system. Apple Pay has to prove secure enough bring enough users to have competing software system and paymetn systems to take notice.

Having been stung by compromised credit cards, bank cards and checking acounts I am quite slow to adopt new and unproven means of using credit.

Competition will improve the offerings down the road.

scbubba likes this.
  2. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

Google and others have offered NFC payment on Android phones for some time. The difference with Apple is in the marketing.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

scbubba likes this.
  3. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Bloomberg business has an article that addresses the dilema the new Apple iPhones pose for Apple.

Here is an excerpt:

Point well made is that if an Android or Windows phone user swithces that user starts from scracth. That can be expensive, and for people like me that becomse cost prohibitive.

As some have mentioned, Apple is great at marketing. Such marketing is fun to watch, but does not appeal to consumers like myself. I made the choice to go with the Droid OS, sure it's evolving, has glitches, what OS does not have it's bad points.

Apple however appears to have lost the innovative edge, after recreating the tablet and inventing the modern smartphone, Apple stood still while Samsung, LG, HTC, Amazon, and Microsoft introduced, larger and larger screens, NFC and tens of thousands of apps.

Markeing it fun to watch. No matter how clever there is no compelling reason for most to switch to an iPhone6/6Plus.

scbubba likes this.
  4. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

The idea of the lock-in is definitely something that everyone wants to put into play. Windows PCs had that going for them for a long time (Macs won't run this software well or don't have a good alternative or you have to buy the software again if you switch) but eventually more and more people began to jump ship for one reason or another.

On phones and tablets, most consumers (IMO) have less invested in the purchase price of apps and more in the data in the apps. Smart app developers either allow the data to be in the cloud (but not necessarily the OS maker's proprietary cloud) or let you export/backup somewhere that it can be used on another device. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of app developers don't do this (intentional or overlooked?) so you get device lock in even if the same app is available on the other platform.

Then of course, there are those apps that the user just loves that aren't available on another platform.

I wonder how much NFC will really catch on now that Apple is using it. As has been stated many times, Apple isn't always the first to do something in the smartphone/tablet space but they are often the one to get broad adoption of it. Obviously, the NFC will be used in the Apple Pay stuff, but will it be "unlocked" for other uses? I think I saw something that said, at least for now, that it was ONLY for Apple Pay.

I agree that the iPhone 6 line doesn't look incredibly innovative by itself. But I wonder what sort of things iOS 8 running on the new phones will allow? I've got several articles queued up to read that cover iOS8 so I'm hoping there are some good things in it.

5. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

NFC has been much larger in the rest or the world than the USA for a fair while now (3+ years). All of my bank / credit cards had NFC chips in them and 99% of PDQ's (card machines) in the uk can take NFC payments. Hell my bank even offer a NFC sticker for phones etc.

I had to request that my cards be changed for versions without NFC chips in them.

It's a nice flashy selling point but in real life it just has far too many security issues to be of any real value IMHO.

w2edv and scbubba like this.
  6. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Japan has used smart phone payments for quite a while as well. Africa, a lot of banking is handled via text and the smartphone companies are the bank.

scbubba likes this.
  7. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

As been mentioned by others Asia and Europe have been using smartphone NFC payments for a few years. One has to wonder what PayPal or the major credit card vendors are working on. The possibilities for partnerships for Google and Microsoft for NFC pay systems are not being ignored. ApplePay might be the first such system in the states, but will not be the last.

Competion for the consumer dollar and what systems the consumer will use is going to be a sure draw for the companies still on the NFC pay system sidelines.

scbubba likes this.
  8. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Isis and Google Wallet have been NFC payments for a year or two now. Granted, I live in an ISIS test location as well so I had the option early on. Yeah, ISIS got rebranded for the obvious reasons. It's now Softcard. It's the ATT&T Verizon NFC payment system.

scbubba and dml24 like this.
  9. otucker89

otucker89 Loaded Pockets

It would be a game changer if there wasn't already a selection of watches on the marketplace. Also, with the 6+ and the Apple Watch(terrible naming Ipod, Iphone, Ipad, Ipad mini, Apple Watch just rolls off the tongue right) app developers now have two more aspect ratios to develop for their apps. I don't think that apple brought in any more people into the apple ecosystem with this product, just another facet to get more money out of their customer base. Not to mention that they tip the scales in terms of price and are competing with a Samsung smart watch that already is getting 2+ days of battery life that will most likely be running android wear in their next packaging, a definite competitor in terms of OS.

TL: DR Game changer if you are in the 15% of the market that uses an apple device, rerun for anyone else.

scbubba likes this.
  10. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

This is not the case... Apple has kept the aspect ratio on all devices so apps will scale. All text and sdk ui elements are "vector based" so they scale without sacrificing clarity/resolution.

The watch runs a diff. OS, so different SDK for developing on a small screen. You should not see full blown app counterparts designed for the watch, but I expect companion apps with more limited abilities.

scbubba likes this.
  11. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

The part that seems off to me is that the phone has to be very near the watch, so-on your person.
    -if I'm in the car, the BT will let me talk. And trying to read the tiny watch screen to see who e-mailed me is going induce crashes.
    - if I'm not it the car the bigger screen is better for almost everything.
    NFC for paying for stuff would be fine, but I have never once said "oh the credit card is soooo hard to get to the slot.
    I would worry about people stealing data from the watch.
    My watch now has tiny scratches on it from life. I have seen some people's phones that look battle scarred, so what will the watch look like?

I like the idea much better that google glass which I fell will turn us all into roving drones.

The point is moot as it only works with Apple phones.

AND I still want the Friggen laser, people, throw me a bone here.

scbubba likes this.
  12. Mazinkaiser

Mazinkaiser Loaded Pockets

iPhone 6 is underwhelming, that and any phone that bends simply by resting in your front pocket is garbage. One would think apple could put more time into testing their products like ikea does First an antenna that would not work because users were "holding it wrong" to this gumby phone that bends in the front pocket under NORMAL use. What is apple going to say next. That users should not be placing phones in their front pockets.

The ONLY thing apple has going for it is their advertising and the plethora of plants in sites like this one who talk up the iphone and subtly bash the competition. Do some research on Guy Kawasaki and what his role was at Apple and how half the "good" reviews you see on their products are paid reviews, or plants. Apple plays on the superficial emotion of people. Steve jobs believed Form OVER function (which is not good design) and apple products reflect that. Most of the interior parts used in their products are mediocre at best. Think about it. How does a computer company have as much money in the bank as they do...by HUGE profit margins. But how do you make huge profit margins in electronic components...by marking the price up sky rocket high, but keeping cost low by using mediocre components and then dress it up in a shiny package so people buy into it.

I used to own nothing but apple. But after investing into the ecosystem and seeing just how....locked in your are, and how much it actually costs vs the competition, it does not make financial sense. The design firm I worked for started to switch back to PC because the Adobe suite since CS3 runs smoother on PC than it does on a imac or mac pro, and also has a larger feature set that helps to increase productivity. Software like Solidworks and Artios are only run on PC's and parallels or bootcamp does not cut it with those programs. The mac pro I used at work crashed constantly. Drives were getting eaten up constantly (that is something I really don't understand..never seen hard drives fail in computers regardless of make like I have seen in the past few years).

For a long time I felt like a sucker...bought into it hook line and sinker but after researching their business model and watching it unfold I feel like apple more than most companies, is just taking advantage of their customers. I just hope that someday people wake up and see it and understand that apple products do not make you cooler, smarter, richer, or more trendy NOR do they do work any better than a PC. At the current trend of people buying into their hype and then getting locked into the ecosystem it won't be long before we all face exactly what apple said they were not in their 1984 commercial. Their business today, is exactly what they said they were not going to ever be.
    I for one like choice.

Lou_G likes this.
  13. Trave1ingEast

Trave1ingEast Loaded Pockets

How nice of you to join in on a discussion about Apple's new watch and level a four paragraph rant about your disdain for Apple. Well played!

As tempting as it is to believe your claims and run and sell everything I own that is Apple on fleabay. I think I'll stay with what I like and pickup that new watch first chance I get as well as the iPhone+. I for one choose to "Think Different".

Apple fanboy and proud of it!;)

scbubba and K2-Kevin like this.
  14. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you are falling for the hype once again. ;) Metal bends where plastic will crack. I don't think it simply bends, do you... really?

I enjoyed the read, and like your passion! Sounds like you had some serious issues with your Macs. I will only speak from my experience, we switched over our entire office (All workstations) to mac about 7 years ago. We save between $10 - $25,000 a year in support/hardware since switching to Mac. We are a small company, others will note a much higher future cost savings.
    Up front cost... when you compare Macs with comparably equipped Windows PCs, sometimes Macs beat Windows PCs in the price/performance comparison. Sometimes Windows PCs beat Macs. Overall, there’s relative parity. But yes, you can purchase a windows box very cheap.

Remember the Yugo, a car introduced to the U.S. in the 80's whose main claim to fame was that it was incredibly cheap, underpowered and highly trouble-prone? Yugos spent a lot of time in the shop. In considering the savings on the purchase price, Yugo buyers probably didn’t factor in lost personal time, aggravation, repair charges and what they were paying for transportation when their cars were being repaired. This is the very definition of being penny wise and pound foolish.

I’m not saying that Windows is a Yugo, believe me. But reverse the picture: The Mac represents the most reliable vehicle you can buy (perhaps a Toyota?). There’s a hidden value to having far fewer problems than average. And a big segment of the computer-using marketplace doesn’t seem to want to acknowledge that. That’s why the single most frustrating thing about being a Mac user is the disdain with which some Windows users view Macs. Apparently, you’re not a real man unless you’re suffering with everyone else.

Trave1ingEast - I tried to pump out 4 paragraphs... just got tired.

Last edited by K2-Kevin, Sep 24, 2014
    scbubba and Trave1ingEast like this.
  15. Mazinkaiser

I was talking to a new twitter friend today. She was talking about school and her imac. I told her I dont own a mac anymore because I was able to get better performance and STABILITY (I always considered macs to be stable due to the xeon processors (when they went intel) and their nvidia quattros...but this has not been the case). aNywya I told her how nice it was to be able to scroll through fonts and blend modes once again, vs clicking the pulldown, clicking the blend mode, then clicking the pull down etc. It amazes me how slow they are just in operation with the adobe suite and how much it impacts my workflow. Anyway I was not trying to get into any kind of war with her, but she started in with "you are right...I forgot about that" then she started ranting on how many things she hated on her imac vs her old PC. I did not see that coming.

Anyway. You compare PC's to yugo...but that is where you are wrong. Can a PC be had for a cheap price vs a mac...absolutely, but that does not mean that all PC's are cheap. One of the biggest issues I have with the PC vs mac debate is that its been a rare day that someone actually compares dollar points. In most cases a PC build with the same money a mac would have been build with will last longer than a mac and maintain its performance. Better quality parts can be had. Mil spec capacitors on mother boards, the "good" memory, not kingston. Macs use cheaper parts than PC's use. The stability comes from picking and choosing the parts and spearheading any updates, where as with PC you have to know more or do more research and do your own updates. No question mac is easier in that regard, but does not mean its easy for tech. I am curious about your companies size. I just left a 60 person company who were moving to mostly PC's. Some of the designers (I was in that group, but not complaining like them) were throwing a fit saying you cant design on a PC blah blah blah...which is a total and complete fallacy. We were losing data left and right from the macs and it was all random. Systems that were only connected through the intranet. We did have a virus run though a good number of them, but mine was powered off because the friday night before it froze up on me...I guess that was a good time to crash...but man, nothing infuriates me more than the spinning beachball that just spins and spins and spins. At least when windows crashes you know about it and dont waste time hoping the comp will come back up. Anyway, back on topic. PC's of this build caliber are just as if not more stable than macs. This is one of the issues I have with people bashing PC's, they are talking out of ignorance.

I dont think a man is any less of a man for owning a mac...but I do question that persons ability to think and reason when they fall into the cult of mac. For example, this iphone 6+ bending issue. Its happening to people who are using it normally, in their front pocket but under unconventional circumstances. Like one of them was a guy travelling and going to a wedding, then dinner etc. His phone sat in his front pocket all day. Now, this is pure speculation..but everyone is blaming tight pants. Most weddings I have seen or attended (well actually all of them) involved people wearing nice clothes and in the case of men never something skin tight. I have blue jeans on today and mine are not tight at all. I have about 2" of pull on them when I am standing (near my thigh), but when sitting down they are skin tight. So, there is a good chance the phones are bending under normal clothing, not even hipster "skinny jeans". Anyway back on topic. The issue I have is mac cultists who are defending this poorly made product, just like the ones who defended the antenna on the 4. Apple is not perfect and has made a ton of crappy products in the past. People forget that at the turn of the millenium Apple was going to go bankrupt...they were not doing well at all. Hell, Microsoft gave them some money to help bail them out. Point is, I have no issues with anyone owning a mac because it is the better machine for their work. What I do have issues with are the people who think its the best thing on the planet bar none, yet have no or little experience with other products. I do have issues with mac cultists who call PC users ignorant, because mac is clearly the best way to go. That kind of mindset or mentality does not sit well with me.

Anyhow...I obviously ramble a lot. But Apple lost me as a customer. I am finding more enjoyment in my nokia than I ever did in the iphones and although the aftermarket support is meh at best, the trade offs are worth it. Phone has been super stable, screen looks great, pictures look great, its usage and finding things quickly has been great. The way the OS is all linked makes things easy to do, shooting pics and forwarding them etc etc. Battery has been stupid good. I have NEVER run out mid day when using it for pictures (for work), shooting emails, texts, mild surfing but music playing for 6 to 8 hours minimum. I usually end with 60% battery left after 8 hours. I would see my apple coworkers plugging their iphones in all the time. That makes no sens to me,a dead phone is no phone....and not every one is going to prep for extra battery packs etc.

I do like on iOS 8 how you can hand off from the phone to the ipad to the mac (when it gets the update)...I mean that is a pretty bad :censored: feature but it's not worth me going back. Anyway..gonna go look at flashlights and stuff. take care.

16. Mazinkaiser

I think my mind was forming that post based on something I had read on the phone. Sorry for the off topic rant.

I will address the watch. It looks like crap!

the iWatch (I love how they are not calling it iWatch because its creepy as hell) looks like the first iphone...it already looks dated. The UI is horrible at best. How the hell anyone is going to remember an odd assortement of circles is beyond me. I don't think the human mind works that way. We are good at navigating rows and columns, but the interface on the apple watch is...well it does not seem like it was designed by apple.

I think the moto watch looks 100x better and I do nto care for android at all. But it seems to fit the balance of style, and performance that the apple watch lacks.

My belief (this is a joke) for why apple is making the apple watch is for an interface so you can leave your iphone 6 in your backback or purse due to its super flimsy design that bends when blown on.

Personally I think google glass makes more sense...but only if you wear glasses. What I want is a star trek communicator piece on my lapel like the Next Generation. I want to be able to touch my chest and say "computer, blah blah blah" and have it give me a verbal answer.

I guess instead we are going to be speaking to our wrists.

17. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

The watch isn't intending to replace the handset and from what I've seen so far there aren't plans for it to. It's an add on, like a blue tooth headset. Fanboys will flock to the watch like my fiances ex husband whose very hipster, and lined up for the 6. He already has a smart watch and will get the apple watch because it's an apple watch. I don't see the point and won't be getting it. But that's me

scbubba likes this.