1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Apple Watch - Game Changer or Just Another Thing

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by scbubba, Sep 9, 2014.

?

Apple Watch - Wearable Game changer or Just another gizmo

1. It will define the wearable product market

15.3%
  2. It isn't that far ahead of the competition

9.7%
  3. Just another gizmo

27.8%
  4. I already have a smart phone, don't need a smart watch too

23.6%
  5. Don't care - where are the knives and flashlights :)

23.6%
  1. baldenwonder

baldenwonder Loaded Pockets

:) the stalk is used as a sundial, not so good now it's getting darker earlier :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

echo63 and scbubba like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

I'm old-school (and old) and I'm content to wear the watches I have. That said, I'm usually an early adopter for cool new technology. But, unless and until the Apple Watch gains a lot more very cool functionality, I don't see the point.

scbubba and vegassprky like this.
  3. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Curious... What functionality are you looking for specifically?

scbubba likes this.
  4. Six String

That's an unfair question. It's similar to asking me to describe the functionality of the first iphone 2 years before it came out. Or the coolest apps years before they're developed and implemented.

There is speculation that it will eventually offer unprecedented monitoring of health conditions, including heart rate, blood pressure, blood sugar and other types of blood chemistry. Supposedly, they've been hiring that kind of talent from other health tech companies. That would be good stuff.

Also, after all the cool mockups in the media the past year, I was hoping it wouldn't look EXACTLY like a wristwatch. Have you seen the pictures of the ones that have a wide band with a display that wraps around the wrist? I was hoping for something like that.

So, surprise me Apple. No, blow me away. Give me something I would never have thought of in a million years. Give me something I didn't think I needed until I saw it. Give me something that changes my life.

Last edited by Six String, Sep 15, 2014
    scbubba likes this.
  5. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I can see it now. Watches lighting up all over the theater with notifications during the movie.

We're going to need some new movie bits to teach people how to behave with this thing.

scbubba likes this.
  6. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Based on your earlier post, it sounded like you actually had ideas of your own. I stand corrected. I had smartphones long before Apple decided to do it right, and like many of us that did, we knew what we needed and wanted, it just took apple to to develop the platform.

I have a few ideas, some I may tackle myself, others I will just hope to see from other developers.

Its always been a question handset designers and app developers consider... is it a phone or PDA first? Im sure this same ideology will pertain to the watch. And soon enough, the last thing we will be using the Apple Watch for is time.

scbubba likes this.
  7. Six String

LOL. Sorry to disappoint you.

Here's a few thoughts:

Step 1. Make it look like a cool wearable computer, not a $25 Casio. Apple is often criticized for putting too much emphasis on style. No such issue here.

Step 2. Make it do something besides what my iphone, less than 6 inches away in my pocket, can already do better.

Step 3. Make a useable interface to access dozens, and eventually hundreds, of functions on a device with two buttons and a 40mm screen. Good luck with that.

I'm not saying that it doesn't have promise. Or that it won't develop into a "must have" device. But, sending custom vibrations and cutesy emoticons to friends and loved ones isn't enough for me. Nor is two million watch configurations.

Pretty much everything it does now, I can do with a watch, a Fitbit and an iPhone 5. And presenting existing functions in a new way isn't enough.

Now, all that said, I'll probably buy one. If it proves to be the toy I think it is, it will soon end up in my old and useless electronics drawer. If it proves indispensable, I have a handful of very expensive watches that will be sitting in the bottom of a drawer.

Let's resume this discussion next Spring when we can speak based on experience and not supposition and hype. Hey, maybe we'll be using our Apple Watches to do that! Ha!

8. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

I'm a bit skeptical as of now.... the trend for several years now points to fewer and fewer people wearing wristwatches on an everyday basis. The millennial generation, in general, from what I've seen and read, check the time on their phones. Any adjunct device that costs $350 - at a minimum - would really need to offer "can't do without" functionality to provide sufficient ROI. I don't see the real advantage to glancing at a watch as opposed to looking at my phone to see who might have sent a text or email. The ONLY advantage I envision is if 6Plus/Note3 sized phones trend upwards to a dominant market share position. In that case I can see the advantage of using a watch interface and leaving a large footprint phone in my backpack, cubicle or bedroom.

Six String's comment about health monitoring is a good one. However, I have already invested in a Fitbit cadence tracker and, regardless, the cynic in me envisions that "professional medical monitoring" would require a separate and MORE expensive sensor and not something readily available to everyone and anyone. That's just how the system works. The iWatch WOULD be a good choice for someone who wanted a Fitbit-like device for casual fitness data and hadn't already purchased one from one of the existing vendors.

Once the iWatch is released and the vertical market around it flourishes and matures, we very well might change our minds and embrace iWatch technology. There is an article on wired.com which discusses Apple's uphill battle on this front. It's title is, "It'll take a social revolution for the U.S. to embrace the Apple watch". Interesting reading.

scbubba and Six String like this.
  9. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Its obvious, no company has done a wearable that "works", otherwise many of us would have one on our wrist. I have tried the big ugly pebble for a day (and it does change habits, no longer digging for my phone in my pocket). Fitness trackers are a joke, very limited, and offer nothing more then glorified pedometers.

Apple will sell millions of watches in the first week, we will see a few thousand apps for the Apple Watch soon after.

I won't mind opening my garage door, turning on my lights, and starting a movie from my watch, but I'm sure I will get very annoyed with Tapatalk watch notifications of all the likes on this post. :)

EDIT: BTW, for now, I don't want the iWatch...

scbubba and Six String like this.
  10. Six String

I agree, wristwatches have become passé, especially among younger people. But, I think sales have been picking up recently as millennials are starting to wear them as a fashion and/or status statement. I see them adopting the Apple Watch pretty easily.

But, older guys in a different economic demographic are not going to ditch their 5-figure swiss timepieces for a $350 ewatch. And I doubt they'd risk looking like a doofus by wearing both, one on each wrist.

I have a saying, "Money will always find a way to express itself". When Rolex or Patek or AP or Breguet or Blancpain release a very expensive version of the Apple Watch and it's easily identifiable as an expensive status statement, maybe it will catch on with somebody besides millennials and geeks.

I still think if they made it look like something other than a wristwatch it would be an easier integration into widespread acceptance and use. A Panerai on one wrist and an Apple iBangle (hey, that's no worse a name than ipad! :) ) on the other, that's something I could get into. :)

I have an UP fitness bracelet. Fun for about 6 weeks, now it's in that useless electronics drawer. So, the existing fitness apps in the Apple Watch don't impress me much. But, give it the capabilities of Doctor. "Bones" McCoy's medical Tricorder and I'm all over it. :)

I'll look up that Wired article, thanks for the recommendation.

scbubba likes this.
  11. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

The Apple watch is vapor ware at the moment. Not scheduled for delivery until next year. With all the orders for the large screen Apple masses, the 6/6Plus are going to be vapor ware for many Applefans.

ITMW, my 2 year old Note 2 still has a bigger screen than the 6Plus, sure it cannot do all the functions the 6Plus can, but the 6Plus does not have a stylus and that is not enough for me to want an 6Plus let alone lust for one as Applefans are now!

tal-c and scbubba like this.
  12. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

A stylus? I guess they are nice, and I do have one (Bamboo Stylus) I never use for my iPad. I guess when you can't produce a screen digitizer good enough, you give a stylus. I remember those days...

The only reason we know about the Apple Watch is to stop people from buying anything else until its release. I haven't placed an order for the 6+ just yet, Im sure ill have one once the hype has died down a bit. Im not one to wait in lines, or call around stores looking for product.

scbubba likes this.
  13. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

Seriously what the f is the fascination with bigger screens on phones?

The 5s is big enough, hell the 4s was a decent size. i was hoping that apple would do two sizes, one for people like me that like putting their phone in a trouser pocket and one for you other lot that like carrying your phone round on your back, in a wheelbarrow or whatever.

I'm kind of disappointed that both of them are larger.

Sorry I know it's a bit off topic, but I had to ask.

scbubba and K2-Kevin like this.
  14. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I'll agree on the first one. There are times I think it could be useful....just not enough to own one...when I already have a watch I love and Glass.

As for the latter point....fat chance. Even if someone was dumb enough to port Tapatalk to it, the interface to do it with out driving users mad it doesn't exist.

Google Glass is the closest, based on the dozen or so I've played with. It looks ridiculous, but it works really well (except when its crashing). The only annoying thing is people constantly asking about it.

The watch is almost a notifications-only device right now.

I like the idea of unlocking things and opening doors. I think something like Google Authenticator (or any 2 factor authentication app) for it would be brilliant. Imagine being able to use 2-factor authentication to get into your house/car. Imagine never having to carry keys. It hasn't happened with phones largely due to the risk of losing them, but a watch is different.

I think a camera and camera phone/chat app would be great.

It would be a great platform for a personal security app that I developed (for a class, no intention to go to market) for android and glass....think a panic button on your wrist. But, it's missing some hardware that it would need.

The perception that wearables are niche devices is what is slowing adoption. Apple is almost uniquely placed to fix that if only because they made PDAs and Tablets (which both existed long before iOS) popular.

My Omega is 100% of the reason I don't plan on getting one at the moment. If iOS 8 fixes the glass integration and I can go back to an iPhone, I'd seriously consider it. I just don't want to wear 2 watches or carry 2 smart phones.

scbubba and K2-Kevin like this.
  15. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

The Note stylus is based on a Wacom digitizer. The stylus is active, not passive. Very high res, many levels of pressure sensitivity. It's actually pretty cool how it generates power from a magnetic field above the screen. The pressure sensitivity is in the stylus, not the screen. Also the handy menu button on the stylus.

As to why a bigger screen, personal preference is surely part of the market. But I was carrying a tablet and a phone. Going to a Note 3 gave me a full HD screen for my movies, a big enough screen for easy reading, small enough to pocket carry and only one device. If you don't need a bigger screen, the market has many choices for you to work with. But many of us like more screen and the market serves us too.

w2edv, scbubba and K2-Kevin like this.
  16. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

I need a larger screen as my eyes grow older. I am happy to see Apple will finally be selling a larger iPhone or smaller iPad mini. :)

scbubba and w2edv like this.
  17. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

Apple reacted to losing market share to larger-screen Android phones. Speaking for myself, I wanted the new iPhone back when they released the "5" but I was disappointed in the small increase in display size (only enough for one additional row of icons). To me, that was lip service, nothing more. Prior to this point I had been using an iPhone 3GS, but found its screen real estate too confining. So, when I saw that the 5 didn't offer much of a display increase, I went with a Galaxy S3, which is what I'm currently using. Full disclosure: I have ordered a 6Plus/64GB. The reasons I did were the newer battery tech and the full HD display along with better outdoor/in sunlight readability. I looked at it from the standpoint that I'll be using this device for the next 2 years, so I went for as much bang-for-the-buck as I could afford.

I want a device that I can use "most of the time". The larger display is better for GPS navigation, better for reading, better for photo display and watching videos and better for games, though I confess to not engage in much of the latter 2.

Apple has long engaged in the practice of dictating what their users need. In the case of the display size, the market decided otherwise and Apple had to adapt. Someone somewhere remarked, "If the iPhone gets bigger and the iPad mini gets smaller, they will eventually meet in the middle". I'm wondering if the 6Plus will eventually eat into iPad mini sales.. (?)

K2-Kevin and scbubba like this.
  18. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

I suppose other peoples need for IMHO massive phone screens are just something that I'll never understand.

I drive an average of 50k miles a year and used my 4s and now my 5s as my sat nav without any issues. I read books, browse the web / forums, play games etc and have never really felt the need for a larger screen.

In fact the larger screen of the 5 put me off getting one and I only ended up with the 5s as I got the phone free and reduced my monthly tariff cost by half. If the deal the network offered me hadn't been as good as it was I'd probably still be using my 4s.

I also own an iPad mini, but hadn't used it for 12 months, so I wiped it, bought a protective case and loaded it with loads of learning games, puzzles etc and gave it to my 3 year old.

Oh well each to their own I suppose, I just hope they keep making a smaller screen version otherwise I'll have to look for a new non iPhone phone.

scbubba and w2edv like this.
  19. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

I know... we are way off the Watch subject now, but it all relates.

I agree with many of the above posts. Larger screen iPhone, well because, I haven't made a call on this "phone" all day, but have been using it a lot. Im mostly stuck in my calendar, email, and my companies NOC monitoring system. Larger screens = more productive (FOR ME).

scbubba likes this.
  20. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets