1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New aluminum tactile turn..

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by RMinNJ, Jun 11, 2018.

1. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

How are people's newer style aluminum grooved mover and shakes holding up ?

Will just launch an aluminum version of the Slider and Glider on the k site.. I was wondering how durable aluminum is..

Thanks.

2. Jim Hughes

Jim Hughes Loaded Pockets

I have several of Hodges pens from other KS Project's I'm very pleased with. IIRC this is his first adventure in Aluminum . I have 3-4 Kara's Kustoms in Al. Both RB's and FP's, back to the original KS pen. These are both AL polished, raw, tumbled dull finish, and Anodized. The RB's ride daily in my L Front pocket with a Small Metal Caribiner Key ring, House Key, Office key, Wife's Volvo Key(Old Style, not a Dongle, big metal key with rubber thumb grip), USPS Box Key , AWOL Bag Master lock key.

Hand goes in and out of pocket 100's of times a day to retrieve Pen vs dozens for key set. Year number 5-7 for these. Al does show scratches, which I liken to Brass Patina, use marks, nothing that spoils my day. No worse on anodized vs polished Al pens. Raw Al tolerates scratches with character and minimal detail. Burt then the wife says I'm not the most fastidious Joe out there.

Not a problem for me. If minor scratches gets UR Nose out of joint, you may have issues with Al material.

3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I just bought one of the Ti Sliders. He has a 25% off going with "kickstarter" code before Friday 6/15. The reason I chose that particular pen was its compatibility with Schmidt p8126 & p8127 refills...loves me some capless rollerball. Guess my Retro 51 will have to ride in the back of the bus...:playfull:

4. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Thanks.. I'm thinking on taking advantage of that sale also. But I just have to know how the aluminum is. My ti slider has been the best pen I've owned and this seems an opportunity to get more.

5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

The aluminum would be too light for me. My sweet spot is 28 grams/1 oz. My Waterman Expert & Retro 51 both nail that, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a Slider due to the weight and the Father's Day deal. I just got notification that it has shipped already. The irony is that even though Tactile Turn is in Richardson, Tx and I live in Garland, Tx, it still may take a couple of days. Like everyone else these days, I'm into instant gratification.

RMinNJ likes this.
  6. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I couldn't pass up the deal either to get more titanium. I'll post back how the aluminum is.

7. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

He has done a bunch of Aluminum pens. I have one of his original Movers in AL. It has held up fine, other than light wear marks form being pocket carried. He has done them in both raw and colour anodized. I only have pens from TT in non anodized finishes (Aluminum, Titanitan, Copper, and Stainless Steel) so I cannot comment on how the anodizing holds up.

Personally I find AL too light. Much prefect the copper and stainless steel pens.

8. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Actually, Will made some anodized aluminum versions about a year ago. It was a limited run of red & blue, and I picked up a blue at the time. I used it quite a bit after I got it, but I haven't used it in awhile. It held up really well, as it was hard anodized, which I assume is what he'll be using again.

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Nusm: I'm not familiar with these ^^. What is the difference between the two lengths -- other than the length? Is shorter a bp and longer a roller ball? Or something......

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Moeshe,

Yes the difference in the length is the longer one (Glider) takes a Pilot G2 length refill and the shorter one (Slider) takes a Parker style
    refill. But..one can cut down a Pilot G2 refill and it will fit in the shorter Slider...the body has space inside to accommodate the refill widths.

He's running a good sale now on the titanium and other metals and ships internationally. The aluminum kickstarter price cant be beat.

11. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Also, the Slider (shorter one) takes Schmidt capless rollerballs without modification (same refill Retro 51 comes stock with). That and the length (approx. same as Parker Jotter) and the milled grip made it impossible for me to pass up.

12. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

What RMinNJ said. That was going to be my exact answer!

13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets