1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Altoid Tin Design

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by RossCHardy, Feb 12, 2015.

1. RossCHardy

RossCHardy Loaded Pockets

Hey guys! My brother got a tin of Altoids today, and I got to see the new design for the first time. Got some pics with one of my kits for scale.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what do we think? On the one hand, yes, definitely smaller, and harder to organize--if you pack it, you have to take everything out to access it. On the other hand, the lid feels VERY sturdy and secure, and there are times when, believe it or not, a full-size tin is too much. If space is an issue, I can definitely see where this one would come in handy.

It's a moot point, I'm sure--I highly doubt Altoids'll stop making the old school ones any time soon.

bigfoot, Nick4305, T.H.Cone and 3 others like this.
  2. Gustavo Melro

Gustavo Melro Loaded Pockets

have been using a identical tin to carry my earphonhes . its pretty nice, but as you said , its pretty hard to organize minor tools; I like to use them to store litle screws when im fixing something so the screws dont fall on the floor and i loose them forever.

but for edc porpouses i leave 2 on my bag, one with torx wrenches, hex wrenches and a AA battery , and the other just with the earphones, cant fit anything else

[​IMG]

Idox, Nick4305, T.H.Cone and 2 others like this.
  3. wabash

wabash Loaded Pockets

gotta fit the old contents into the new tin!

btw, you have a chance to "name" the new style tins. they will be referenced many times, so they need a nickname to distinguish them from the old style.

go for it.

4. odg

odg Loaded Pockets

Altoids makes a smaller tin with the same design of the original. I'd take that over the new if storing multiple items. Looks good for something like headphones as suggested above.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  5. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

I got one of those that shape years ago that Eclipse mints came in, and IIRC thats the brand/shape that a buddy of mine still gets all the time... and there are a few other brands now that shape too...

They're a P!TA to get mints out of without dumping them, let alone anything else.. I had a small kit in one for a while and hated it, mostly because you end up having to dump it ALL out to get one item. Good think you can still buy the old style in generic un branded tins(for more than one tin its cheaper that way anyway, and you don't end up with a ten thousand year supply of mints in the process ;) )

HimalayanHitman and odg like this.
  6. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I fear change. Having said that, I don't like it. Can't nail it down, maybe the odd size, or the strange shape, or the weird lid. Yep, I hate it. Oh, and I'm not a huge fan of regular altoids tins either. The Celestial seasonings tea tins, slightly smaller than original altoids tins, but same style, or Fisherman's friend cough drops (exactly identical to altoids tins, but 1000's cooler) are my favorite 2 types.

HimalayanHitman and T.H.Cone like this.
  7. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

HimalayanHitman Loaded Pockets

I'm just thinking what a bad business idea it would be to change completely over to this new style (as you stated they aren't getting rid of the old style any time soon) I mean come on how many EDCers buy and have bought neumorous Altoids just for the tins, I know I have at least 6 and threw the mints out.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  8. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

hm, let me think. good for storing matches, gum, a stubby pen.. not very utilitarian there.

I think I'm going to have to go hoard the old containers now.

9. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

My Altoids tin kit isn;t even in an Altoids tin anymore. I use a gift card box instead. It isnt as tall but is wider and longer for the same volume of storage if not a little more. As far as those end tube style tins, they such for any real use. We have one in the car that is holding hair elastics just becuase those are just a grab any and go item.

10. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use the old tins all the time... I have a bunch of them. When I stopped thinking that they had to be kits of some kind, I realized that the standard Altoids tin is SUPER handy for storing random things. Great little organizer boxes.
    Those new ones, on the other hand, are a HUGE pain to use for anything. I've used them too and can't use them for things that are smaller than, say, a torx wrench (as said above).

Bowman1911 likes this.
  11. odg

odg Loaded Pockets

I think it's fair to say we have a forum verdict on the new Altoids tin.

[​IMG]

12. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

Looks like the old style Band-Aid boxes from days of yore.

cheeser and Nick4305 like this.
  13. RossCHardy

RossCHardy Loaded Pockets

Man, now it's a challenge! I've GOTTA find something for it now.

Treya likes this.
  14. Bombshell

Bombshell Empty Pockets

There's a place called Survival Resources (it won't let me post the URL) that sells "hinged tins"

Nick4305 likes this.
  15. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Fisherman's Friend still sells its cough drop product in the same exact tin.

Nick4305 likes this.
  16. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Here they have only ever sold them in bags, we used to get strepsils in tins, I remember keeping my saxaphone reeds in them when I was a kid lol

17. wabash

wabash Loaded Pockets

dang. I haven't thought about those things in a long time.

cheeser likes this.
  18. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

hopefully sparked a happy memory lol

19. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hate them. Succeeded in ruin forever a great thing.

cheeser likes this.
  20. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

What is the purpose of storing the contents in one of the tins? Making charcloth? Collecting/Boiling water in an emergency?