1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Nervous about ASVAB

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Tx_Mark, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

Tomorrow I will be taking a PRACTICE ASVAB. I am a little nervous and don't know what to expect. Has anyone recently taken a Practive ASVAB or a Real ASVAB? if so a little reassurance would be nice. Just let me know what i will be running into. I am terrible at taking tests.

Info on ASVAB for those that don't know.

The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is a multiple choice test, administered by the United States Military Entrance Processing Command, used to determine qualification for enlistment in the United States armed forces. It is often offered to American high school students when they are in the 10th, 11th and 12th grade, though anyone eligible for enlistment may take it. There has never been a requirement that a test-taker with a qualifying score enlist in the military, and the test may simply determine personal aptitude at a particular career.

2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I took the ASVAB in 1978. I suspect it has changed some since then. Relax, you can always take it again. Just treat it like any other test. If you don't know an answer right off, try to narrow down the answers so your guess will have a better chance.

3. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

4. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys :) .. I am going for Combat Medic. So we'll see.. still a little nervous but thats to be expected i guess..

5. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

It's been over ten years since I took it, but do remember that it was actually fun and easy. I liked the mechanical section with the diagrams.

PS i never enlisted, but had the navy hounding me to be in the nuclear field.

6. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

I had Marine recruiters following me around to my friends' houses. Couldn't even play pick up basketball in someone's driveway without the Marines landing.

7. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

Stalkers much? haha

8. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

9. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

Greeeeat XD .. How does the scoring work? whats a good score?

10. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Staff Member

If memory serves me well each branch had their own scoring method. The best was a 99 I think, but if you want to be a combat medic then just focus on that.

11. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Staff Member

12. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

13. Sparkey

Sparkey Loaded Pockets

I took it in 93. I can relate to Catherine...I had recruiters blowing up my phone night and day. One even pulled me out of class one day. Never enlisted though. My scores were quite high, I did really well in the engineering and mechanical parts. But I've also never heard of someone getting denied going into the service for having low ASVAB scores. A friend of mine from school who wasn't the brightest knife in the drawer went on to be a fully decorated and quite successful tank commander and I think his scores were abysmal (to be honest, I don't even know if he took it..). So scores arent necessarily everything. Just relax, breathe, and if you don't know, the answer is always "c". peace.

14. SFSRVN

SFSRVN Loaded Pockets

I took the ASVAB about 20 years ago. I know it's changed since then so I can't tell you how the test is now. What I can offer is this: on military tests, one question is totally wrong, two may be close, but only one is right. I know that sounds kind of obvious but narrow your answers down and give it your best guess if you really don't know. Don't just pick "C". Just relax and do your best. Good luck. Oh, and by the way, I did enlist and have been in ever since.

15. dbert

dbert Loaded Pockets

I took it a few years ago. I had no idea what to expect either. I remember being surprised about some of the mechanical questions I was asked. I just didn't realize that kind of thing was going to be on the test. The math and language questions were typical for other standardized tests like the SATs or whatever.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!

16. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

Good luck with the test, Mark!

17. JerryD

JerryD Loaded Pockets

I took it in 06. I didn't think it was too bad, but made a pretty good score. The proctor who handed it back warned me of the recruiters who would be coming out of the woodwork.... He was correct about that.

Just take a deep breath and just think things through. Like any test though, usually your gut instinct is correct. Sometimes you can get in to trouble for over thinking things on tests.

Looking back over the post, I'm not sure this was much help... Think it through, but don't think too hard. haha.

The best of luck!

18. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

You stirred up my curiosity, so I dug out my ASVAB form. Verbal/99, Analytical/98, Clerical/84, Mechanical/97, Technical/85, Academic/98. Those are weighted for being a female though. Don't know if they still do that or not.

My ankle kept me out. Torn ligaments repaired in basically a Tommy John type thing, but it was so new, the military didn't want to mess with me. It's the standard of care now, but 30+ years ago they thought it was Frankenstein stuff.

19. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I took it four times in 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004 in high school, but there's more than just the main score they go off of. There's a long list of subsets you have to get, usually the major one being the GT (general technical). If you get a 110 in GT, you're basically qualified for any job in the military. They'll probably look at that one more than the actually out-of-99 score. It's an easy test, though. I was scoring in the 90's my freshman year of highschool before I had had most of the science and math classes. You could also get the ASVAB for dummies book if you're super worried about it, it has some great information in there. As long as you have a basic knowledge of math, science, and english, along with a little common sense for the other sections, you'll be fine.

20. nwevans

nwevans Loaded Pockets

I took the ASVAB 20+ years ago. Only part I remember was a part where you are given a 5 digit number (As I recall) and then you have 4 similar 5 digit numbers, and one exact match, and all 5 are labeled A-E and you have 60 seconds to match as many of the numbers given with their match. I matched 70 or so in 60 seconds. That was in the 99th percentile and had recruiters calling me for years. Never did enlist, but now regret not doing so, but then again I met my wife in college, so it turned out alright.

-Nathan.