1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Needing it, having it, but not using it

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by 0dBm, Feb 4, 2020.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Walked into a darkened room the other day. It was 8pm so I already had my flashlight in my hand. I could have used it, but turned on the room lights.

A package arrived for me. Instead of using my Sebenza to neatly cut the tape, I just thrust the heel of my shoe at the taped flaps then tore if to open.

Had to sign a document at DMV last week. Instead of using my titanium pen in my shirt pocket, I simply used the pen on a rope on the counter.

Sat on a chair with a loose leg. Was gonna reach for my Vic multi to tighten the bolt. Told the receptionist about it and she called the maintenance guy. I sat in another chair.

At the my last annual “qual” I was required to hit center mass twice on the B24 at 24 feet. I just punched one hole on the head of the target at 50 feet, holstered my sidearm, and left the room.

I’m just getting weary of carrying all this stuff..,

2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I hear ya.

It might sound strange coming from someone frequenting this forum, but I'm kind of into minimalism.
    Not the hardcore stoic kind, but just paring down on excess stuff that just distracts and add clutter.

It's not about the things, it's what they can do for us. If it's not doing anything for you - it's time to pass it on to someone else

3. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I hear ya.

Over the years, I've found it unnecessary to carry for every possible contingency (with the exception of my bug-out-bag). No more pens, watches, multi-tools, challenge coins and other items to weigh me down. I'm down to keys, small keychain flashlight, wallet, small folder and usually a holstered IWB S&W J-Frame. I've even reduced the clutter in my wallet.

Moshe ben David and Tallboyjim like this.
  4. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

We have to remember that millions of people get by without carrying to stuff we lug around. Unless I’m on a job or I’m fairly sure I’m cutting something, I’m carrying no more than a keychain SAK (or a little plier based true utility thing I picked up) and a keychain flashlight. Mon - Fri I’ll have a pen and notebook but I’ve cut right back, it’s more modular I guess. Work stuff, dog walking stuff etc etc.

kikaida, Moshe ben David and Wishoot like this.
  5. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

To each his own.

I don't carry a light so that I can use it instead of the room lights: I carry a light for when there aren't any room lights.
    I can rip open an envelope or a package, but I cannot rip open those annoying plastic bubble packs things are packaged in these days. So I carry a knife.
    The pens brought to me by wait staff or chained to the counter don't always work because they're usually the cheapest bulk-packs the company could buy. I can count on my pen to write when needed, and frankly I just like it better.
    With regard to the chair: that wasn't your responsibility to fix, so telling the receptionist and letting maintenance handle it was the appropriate thing to do.

The point is, we typically do not carry the gear so that we can find excuses to use it; we carry the gear to ease our minds. It's a safety blanket, the comfort of knowing that we're ready if the need arises. I've pulled splinters with the manicure kit I carry. I've fixed computers and office furniture with the multitool I carry because my office doesn't have even a basic toolkit. I've taken care of small cuts and scrapes with the boo-boo kit I carry instead of running around looking for a bandaid, something else this office doesn't have now that I think about it.

But as Tallboyjim said most people get by just fine without all this stuff and if you don't see a need for something then by all means don't carry it. My sister-in-law seems to have no trouble in her daily life and carries nothing more than a typical woman would. My father, now retired, carries nothing but his wallet and reading glasses and he gets by just fine. Are either of them prepared for the unexpected? No. Would they be inconvenienced by it? Absolutely. But it's the trade off they're willing to make in exchange for not having to carry stuff.

If you're tired of carrying the stuff, don't. No one's going to criticize you and you'll probably get by just fine. :)

6. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I'm getting to where socks and underwear are just unnecessary accessories.

Streamline, simplify, accelerate.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

7. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I carry a gun every day I pray that I will never need it

jackknife and neo71665 like this.
  8. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

I agree with not carrying so much. I consider myself a minimalist to a degree and stick to the basics. I’ve carried a knife since I was about 9 so I feel naked without one. This will always be part of my every day carry. Other than that it’s mostly today’s necessities. My cell phone, keychain with 3 necessary keys an Atwood tool and a small flashlight, and my minimalist wallet. I feel this is pretty light. As with the previous post I could do away with socks and underwear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and aicolainen like this.
  9. litework

litework Loaded Pockets

Two summers ago, I was walking on the road in my very rural neighborhood. I approached a house that had a good size yard that was slightly elevated above the road. When I was right in front of the house, the homeowner opened the side door just long enough to let her dogs out and went back inside. I'm sure she'd done that countless times. Well both the dogs saw me near their yard and came at me very aggressively and jumped the embankment onto the road. They were both running circles around me charging me when they were at my backside. A calming voice did not work and this was making me very uncomfortable. Typically, I carry a small can of pepper spray but I didn't bring it on this day. I just had a Sig 229 in 357 Sig and I wasn't about to use that on a silly Miniature Poodle and a Golden Retriever. The poodle was the more aggressive of the two and I figured if it finally did attack I could kick it soccer style over the house if it was teed off correctly and the Retriever would quickly lose interest. Luckily, the owner heard the commotion and retrieved her dogs. She apologized and that winter I bought a Giant Schnauzer to go with me on my walks. My Giant reminds me to bring her on my walks whereas my pepper spray did not.

Moshe ben David, rdisom and adnj like this.
  10. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Yes, I understand. I stopped carrying the pocket tins, fobs, prytools, peanut lighters, button compasses, etc., etc., years ago. Nowadays I carry s SAK, a single cell light, and a pen as these are the items I use frequently and feel I have a need for. I don’t miss the excess and my pockets are much more comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Completely agree with the author of this post.

dmattaponi and Archive like this.
  12. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

What if the light wouldn't have came on? Light provides the eyes data, data is knowledge.

That pen has never been cleaned, good way to find a communicable disease. In short, unnecessary jeopardizing your health.

It's always good to be rethinking and evaluating your EDC, each person has different reasons for why they carry what they carry.

surefire7 and kukla like this.
  13. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

Good thread!
    Circumstances & necessity are certainly a factor.
    But I often wonder how much of the stuff that people display in their "loadouts" actually gets used, vs the bulk & weight of hauling that much kit around all day.

14. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

...............couldn't agree more!
    i sometimes wish it would be reasonable to bring my own shopping cart to the stores! :eek:

surefire7 likes this.
  15. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

Walked into a darkened room the other day. It was 8pm so I already had my flashlight in my hand. I could have used it, but turned on the room lights

I am a Plumber In a hospital this isn't always possible. If a patient is sleeping i have to run my light on low

Had to sign a document at DMV last week. Instead of using my titanium pen in my shirt pocket, I simply used the pen on a rope on the counter.

Very few places I need a pen has a pen on a chain

Sat on a chair with a loose leg. Was gonna reach for my Vic multi to tighten the bolt. Told the receptionist about it and she called the maintenance guy. I sat in another chair.

I am the maintenance guy

Just busting you chops a little. :D
    If not at work I still carry stuff but lighten it up SAK Walker instead of a mini griptillion and a leatherman crunch. Fenix pd32 get put up and I carry a fenix E05 shirt pocket full of pens, markers, tweakers and pocket rule gets switched to a Fisher space pen. Can't carry at work but unless I am doing security at church or going somewhere that I consider high risk I have down sized from a glock G2

16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

TMI!

Moshe ben David

adnj likes this.
  17. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

There are many ways to contract a communicable disease. Unless you get someone to open doors for you everywhere you go and avoid all locations where you come into contact with people, you will struggle.

I tend agree with many of the posts, there is usually some way of getting things done unless you are in the wilderness. I carry much less now than I've ever done.

18. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

Yeah, as I get older, they sheer weight of the items I have on my person and carry in my EDC bag is starting to tug on my soul. It is a never-ending struggle constantly reexamining your gear and continually doing the compromise process to lighten that load as much as you can.

I think it is pared down as much as I can, but we'll see where I am in two years. I still EDC an AA light and maybe in the near future that will become an AAA light.

Speaking of lights, my outdoor porch light went out last night. I have to admit it was (somewhat) gratifying to whip out my AA Reylight Copper Lan and use it to install the new bulb. My neighbors never put on their porch light so it was dark AF when I went out. It had to be replaced.

dmattaponi and Tallboyjim like this.
  19. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I was carrying my Maxped mini pouch in my MOAB6 today on the beach. I remember thinking how heavy the pouch was.(it has Leatherman Juice, cables, spork, Nitecore Sens etc in it). Thankfully I brought it and I needed some tablets from it quite urgently. “Bringing it all” in a pouch avoids having to make that call : do I really _this_ item, today? Taking an Occam’s razor approach to minimise content is overthinking for me. A bigger concern is duplication such as more than one set of sunglasses or multiple pens.

On the keychain I use a lanyard. It is now so loaded, with Tile, tube and StyleCS I have given up pocket carry...

tbzbbt

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  20. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Summer carry is always lighter, I tend to cut down to essentials during these times, usually i just carry a wallet, watch, keys, Minichamp and a phone.

occasinally i wear a Leatherman Tread bracelet, but not always.