1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Needing help with something. AOL and SBC is blocking mail from the server.

Discussion in 'MEMBER RULES, GUIDELINES & ANNOUNCEMENTS' started by JonSidneyB, Oct 13, 2010.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I thought we had the problem fixed.

I can't do it this week but I would like to talk to someone next week that might have some ideas.

I have tried a few given to me but honestly have not done enough research on it.

If someone can save me some research time I would like to talk about ways to approach this with someone next week.

2. jrbrangi

jrbrangi Loaded Pockets

AOL blocks are generally dynamic and lift in 24 hours. If you have actual block messages that would help as well. You need to first go here and contact the AOL postmaster team. You can also try getting whitelisted there as well. Not sure what you are using for email but you'll need to know the IP addresses that your mail gets sent from. Also if you do have block messages you will be able to decipher them using the second link.

http://postmaster.aol.com/
    http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php

SBC front door is controlled by ATT
    http://www.att.com/esupport/postmaster/index.jsp?cv=102

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

From trying several things it seems that this server is blocked. We are on a dedicated server so I have everything on it. I am not getting a block message. It is that it seems everyone using AOL and SBC are not getting any emails generated by the forum software and other items on the server.

We thought the problem was fixed, the hosting company itself for a while was blacklisted, the information we got was that they new we were not a problem, we where guilty by association. That affected many hosting companies including the Planet at one time. That has been taken care of by the host. I was in hopes that would take care of things on our end, well it didn't.

When I check for anything blacklists the IP adddress is on now it comes up clean.

4. jrbrangi

jrbrangi Loaded Pockets

It's totally possible for the ISP to accept the message than basically throw it out the back door. Essentially you may just be getting caught in the crossfire in the war on spam. If you any have SMTP logs there may be a bit more information that lies in there. There are several other factors they take into account as well, are you using any email authentication records? DomainKeys or DKIM?. Best bet is to reach out directly to the postmaster and give them as much info as possible including copies of some of the emails that you send out.

5. wabash

wabash Loaded Pockets

if you have your own server,..............ask your server dudes (or datacenter) to set up "Reverse DNS" for your domain on your IP. and the EMAIL IP if it is different than the website IP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_DNS_lookup

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I tried dealing with the postmaster. I tried calling Aol a could of times and didn't get anywhere. I tried going down the list of items on their website and had no luck.

7. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I have talked the hosting company a couple of times on this. I got what I think is bad information, they told me once blacklisted it would be always the case. Everything else tells me that isn't. I might have to get on a different mail server than the one used by the forum and the store at least temporarily.

Someone did suggest I am getting a lot of bouncing mail that might be making us look bad. If that is the case it might be a bit hard to fix as a ton of people out here are using fake emails addresses or ones that are no longer valid yet have notifications set up. I had no idea how many but from time to time I learn of one, it is often enough that it clues me into it being a fairly large number.

8. wabash

wabash Loaded Pockets

no blacklist needs to be consulted before setting up reverse dns. it just maps your IP to your domain name.

I don't know if it will help much, but an ideal server setup has correct reverse dns.

there is no need for long discussions about it with your server provider. just tell them you want it done.

9. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, Jan 26, 2013
  10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

On the server is the forum, the forum store, a store I was going to use for the Indium, the Larry Light, and the McGizmo PD we were going to produce but is inactive. I also have a friends simple site on it, there is a couple of accounts on it that have never been opened as well.

I have a resellers server but don't do any reselling. I think I have created 6-8 accounts on it but only 3 are active.

11. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I only show 5 as showing on the IP address and those are all supposed to be there. I need to take two of them off of there.

Where you showing more than that? As they are not being used.

12. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Jon, I think this is the kind of thing you need to delegate to a techie assistant. It shouldn't eat up your time.

Of course, if there is only you, you have to do everything.

Maybe you should have a Technical Volunteer Assistant to handle things like this.

Would free up some time for you. Doesn't look to me like this is a major problem but
    I'm not a techie guy in spite of having written for computer magazines years ago.

13. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, Jan 26, 2013