1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need/want a new 3” Folder and need some help.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jcombs, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@jcombs: Spyderco have quite a few knives in the size range you're looking at. For example, just in terms of Sage, they have a number of variants in terms of blade steel, handle material, lock type. (The one you showed looks like it is the Sage 1.) Spyderco's plants in Taichung and Seki City keep getting good reviews -- for some of the lines, they're considered superior even to Colorado by some reviewers.

Although not US made, Kizer -- yes I see you've had one already -- are producing some knives now at higher end; including use of S35V steel.

I'll second the motion advanced above by @Hangman: it would be a good investment of time to look at the range of BladeHQ offerings. Also perhaps DL Trading Post?

Finally, I'd also suggest you visit YouTube and in particular scan through Nick Shabazz' catalog of reviews. He sometimes reviews knives that we don't talk too much about on here; and he does get into detail...

I like everyone else will be very interested in where you end up.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

jcombs likes this.
  2. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Thanks @Moshe ben David, I follow Nick on IG and he does review a lot of different knives. I’m not on IG very much so I’m sure I miss much of what he does but I’ve also watched some of his YT videos. I almost bought a Slysz Bowie based on his recommendation, probably should have before they were discontinued and now harder to find.

There is so much info out there it’s easy to get lost searching retailers and YT videos. I’ve done it, actually last night I spent a couple of hours searching BladeHQ and KnifeCenter and then tracking down YT reviews.

What I was hoping for by starting this thread is for some of you to give me your favorites that are close to my specs. I’ve got some good recommendations and I’m still following up on some of them so I appreciate that.

I’m not in a hurry, I’ll find something and let you know what I end up with.

HVACn00b likes this.
  3. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

While I was in my local knife shop buying the elusive 535 Bugout, I handled the 484 Nakamura to see how small it was as I was concerned with the 4 finger choils and how tight it may feel. I have medium or so hands but I have to say that that 484 is one slick little knife. I just may have to save up to buy that little guy myself.

4. Hagbard81

Hagbard81 Loaded Pockets

What about an Emerson A-100? Mini (3.0 in. blade) or regular (3.6 in. blade). It has nearly everything you are looking for.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Lightnig and jcombs like this.
  5. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Thought I would update this thread with what I ended up with. It’s not perfect, too wide in the pocket, but the size and quality is as expected. I appreciate all of the input and will continue to look at some of the recommendations and the Sage1 is good enough for now but...
    Thanks for the help.
    [​IMG]

6. Moshe ben David

@jcombs: I have one of those and I love carrying it. Use it well and in good health for many years!

L'chaim and Happy New Year!

Moshe ben David

atilano and jcombs like this.
  7. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

Happiness is a new Knife...;^)

8. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Update on the update. The Sage is a good knife but it’s width eventually annoyed me enough to send it down the road and try something else.

I impulse bought a Brous Baldes Specter, 3” blade and 7” overall. Nice enough, it has a wierd flipping action but it’s OK. The clip is nicely done but not very functional, it’s really hard to get back in the pocket. Niggles really as overall I like it and will probably keep it.

Then I went outside of my 3” requirements and bought a Kizer Ti and a ZT0770. I thought I would keep the one I liked the best and sell the other one but ended up keeping them both. I’ve owned the ZT before and it’s the only knife I’ve ever repurchased, it may be my favorite knife and if forced to keep only one this would be it, I think.

The Kizer is as good as advertised, a little thicker and heavier than it should be but really nice overall.

Some pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by jcombs, Jun 11, 2018
    #28 jcombs, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Spyderco native 5 g-10?

jcombs likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

My turn to update.

So, this week's rotation caused me to become reacquainted with my Buck 112. Basically little brother or maybe grandson to the venerable 110...

The 112 is a 3 inch blade. Like the 110, nothing fancy at all. 420HC clip point; back lock; definitely hefty for its size. I COULD carry in a pocket sheath or just let it ride in a pocket. But. It came with a Buck belt sheath designed to fit. So that is how I'm carrying it.

And ya know? The more I carry this knife, the more I'm liking it. Feels great in my hand; strong blade that I know I can trust. At 3", I'm not worried about carrying it most places. Wouldn't carry it in NYC, Chicago, Philly, etc. But in my corner of suburbia in northern Virginia? Absolutely!

Hmm. This may make the rest of the collection jealous...! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

jcombs likes this.
  11. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Delica.