1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need/want a new 3” Folder and need some help.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jcombs, Dec 21, 2017.

1. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I don’t think I’ve ever created a thread asking for help on a purchase of any kind. I can use Google and in the past I’ve been able to find exactly what I wanted without input from others. But I’m kind of stuck with this purchase and I’m hopeful that you guys can help,

In a perfect world this is what I would like to buy.

- 3” Blade, 4” handle, pretty firm on the 3” blade (no legal issues, just a preference)
    - Flipper is preferable but thumb stud or spydie hole is OK
    - Liner lock or frame lock
    - mid to upper range steel (not a steel snob, just something decent)
    - Prefer G10 handle
    - Drop point or similar blade shape
    - Right hand, tip up carry
    - Fairly slim and pocketable
    - Hard cap of $250 and prefer sub $200
    - Something a little different, no Damascus or anything crazy but nothing entry level
    - Prefer US made but not opposed to anything if the quality is there

After listing this out I realize I may be too picky and after a unicorn. If so, tell me, I can take it. I think that’s it, although I am probably forgetting something.

For some background, this is what I pick from currently:
    [​IMG]
    TAD Dauntless MKIV, an old Dragonfly in ATS-55 and some custom SAK’s. Looking for something in between the size of the 2 locking folders, I guess.

This is what I’ve owned and sold over the last few years.
    [​IMG]
    Al Mar Falcon, Kizer Gemini, ZT0770, BM 940-2, PM2

All good knives, mostly forum favorites, just looking for something a little different. I’m a user, not a collector and I sold them mostly to consolidate not because I hated them. I do miss the Kizer and ZT, just not enough to replace them.

This is what I’ve found as a place to start.
    [​IMG]
    Spyderco Sage 1, not sure of the CF but it’s pretty close and the price is right.

The obvious answers are CR Small Sebenza or Hinderer XM18 3” but I’m just not going to spend that much. I may have to, just not there today.

I say that mostly because there are a lot of good knives in the sub $200 range, I’ve owned several. I just can’t find what I’m looking for, at least within my specs.

There are so many good knives out there, I know I’m missing something, and I’m hoping you guys can help. I’m also not in a hurry if something is coming but not out yet.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

2. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Jared,

I may not be the best person to answer as I've been buying mostly ti lately (and I've bought a lot of knives in 2017). I will say that after buying both a Hinderer XM-18 and a CRK small Sebbie (which I traded for a large), I have found plenty of knives that I like a lot more for significantly less money. In particular, some of the offerrings from WE Knife might suit you. They aren't American made but I find their quality to be quite good.

To be fair, I have so many knives that I probably don't carry most of them more than once or twice a month so I can't really say how any of them stand up to hard use. But I think they offer good value for the money. My favorite G10 that I have is the 703e which has a linen finish.

Another maker I picked up lately is Jason Brous (Brous Blades). I have nothing in G10 so I can't make any reports on a specific knife that meets your criteria. He does have some interesting designs and uses some pretty good steel. If you have any questions just fire away.

Gary

jcombs likes this.
  3. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I’m not opposed to Titanium handles, just prefer G10. I may have to bend a spec or 2 to find anything. I was actually looking at some Brous knives last night, the Bionic in particular looks nice. The WE stuff looks good also, although there are not many 3” blades available. Both of these are at the upper end of my limit but both good examples, thanks.

Gary Gross likes this.
  4. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I would strongly suggest if you're interested in a Brous, sign up on the website. Jason sends out emails offering lots of discounts which makes his gear quite affordable. I've also had luck at Blade HQ periodically offering sales on the WE knives. Patience isn't one of my strong points but I've found that by waiting for the deals, I've made some great purchases. Good luck!

5. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

Why not do a search with your specs someplace like BladeHQ? I think, other than the locking mechanism, you have described several knives, the PM3, Spyderco Positron, MiniGrip, and if you don't mind assisted, the Mini Barrage. Just a few off the top of my head, anyway, good luck in your search

jcombs likes this.
  6. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I have actually and have found a couple that might work. Seems like every time I look I find something else. Thought there might be a few of you that have a favorite.

7. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

8. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

If you don't mind pre-owned, you should be able to find a really nice shape 3" XM-18 (in whatever blade shape suits you) in that price range.

I picked up this 3" harpoon for right around 200. It originally came with all Bronze Ti and Black G10 scale, along with the standard satin hardware - I added the Ti scale later.

[​IMG]

Other than the fact that you might have to watch and wait a bit to find the right deal at this price point, it does fit with all your listed criteria...

jcombs likes this.
  9. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

10. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I don’t mind used, bought the TAD used, like new. Any place you suggest looking other than eBay?

Lightnig likes this.
  11. HVACn00b

HVACn00b Loaded Pockets

jcombs likes this.
  12. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

BENCHMADE 15031-1 NORTH FORK FOLDER

jcombs likes this.
  13. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

surefire7 and jcombs like this.
  14. DenCo_E_D_C

DenCo_E_D_C Empty Pockets

First knife that popped into my head based on your list is a BM 535 Bugout

- 3” Blade, 4” handle, - 3.24" blade, 4" handle
    - Flipper is preferable but thumb stud or spydie hole is OK - Flipper with thumb stud
    - Liner lock or frame lock - Axis lock, so miss here
    - mid to upper range steel (not a steel snob, just something decent) - S30V
    - Prefer G10 handle - Grivory, but close to G10
    - Drop point or similar blade shape - Drop point
    - Right hand, tip up carry - Right hand, tip up
    - Fairly slim and pocketable - 0.42" thick with deep carry clip
    - Hard cap of $250 and prefer sub $200 - ~$115
    - Something a little different, no Damascus or anything crazy but nothing entry level - If you consider blue different
    - Prefer US made but not opposed to anything if the quality is there - US made

[​IMG]

surefire7 and jcombs like this.
  15. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

That’s the kind of stuff I was hoping for. Thanks, I hadn’t seen this one.

HVACn00b likes this.
  16. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Another good one, thanks. I didn’t really like the axis lock on my 940-2, they function fine, just prefer a frame or liner lock. Not a deal breaker though.
    I’ve also considered the 555-1, smaller than I prefer but another one that’s close.

17. HVACn00b

HVACn00b Loaded Pockets

You’re welcome! Between this forum and Instagram my want list keeps growing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcombs likes this.
  18. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Sending you a PM

But not fleabay, that would not be a good option

jcombs likes this.
  19. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

On the relatively inexpensive side of things, there's the Buck Vantage Pro. I've had one for a few years now and it's served me well. It's not super fancy (not sure if you consider it entry level or not), but it feels good in the hand and has Buck's lifetime warranty. Meets a lot of your criteria, too:
    - 3-1/4” Blade
    - Flipper
    - Liner lock
    - mid to upper range steel (S30V)
    - Prefer G10 handle (yes)
    - Drop point
    - Right hand, tip up carry (yes)
    - Fairly slim and pocketable (yes)
    - Hard cap of $250 and prefer sub $200 (around/under $100)
    - US made

jcombs likes this.