1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need to pick your brain about space pens

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Daveho, Nov 16, 2017.

1. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

First off, I mostly agree with you. I have encountered nastier refills than the spacepen medium but it is sets the bar pretty low for writing experience. Huge issues with blobbing. As others have mentioned the spacepen fine, is a much better refill. It is no where near as good as say a Pilot G2 Gel but it at least makes it a usable writing tool. However, and it is a huge, gigantic, massive however, nothing else has the "its just writes" factor. I don't write in the rain much, nor upsidedown, nor in space, but I do have them stashed in various places and when I pick them up they just plain work. Left in my truck for months in the dead of a Canadian winter... it just writes; in the boiling heat (believe it of not it can get stupid hot up here too) of summer, it just writes. Discovered in a desk drawer after years of abandonment, it just writes. No other refill I have tried comes close to the "it just writes" performance of the spacepen refill no matter the environment it lives in and that is what makes it amazing.

I love ultrafine gel refills (0.38 - 0.25 mm) but they pretty much suck in the longevity department. I have a number of pens in my rotation, mostly filled with Pilot G2 0.38 mm refills, and it is rare that I will get to the end of a refill before it has issues. I have spacepens that are 10+ years old that still work.

In my lifelong quest for a perfect pen, I have stopped using one as my edc, as the refill does suck for actually writing legibly, but I still keep one in my truck for taking notes.

MichiganMan likes this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@bj warkentin: you've just summarized perfectly why I am such a fan of Fisher space pens. In particular their ability to 'ignore' extremes of temperature. Although I DO sometimes find myself writing using a vertical surface (e.g. a wall) to write against; also sometimes find myself making notes on something that has picked up some sort of grease somewhere along the line. But truly I've had too many refills of other types that sprung leaks in summer or gave up in winter.

I have also found some refills marketed by Levenger that seem to act like Fisher refills; but I'm not sure if Fisher made them or Schmidt made them. Just write about the same although the M didn't seem to 'blob' like a Fisher.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

4. Moshe ben David

umm. In this instance I think we were talking about both extremes of temperatures; example being a pen kept in a car under all conditions.

From the Noodler's website link you provided, their own description isn't exactly inspiring for this situation; note most of what they describe is what happens once ink is applied to paper (writing!):

Noodler’s Durable Ink Classification
    1. “Freeze Resistant Inks” include Polar Blue and Polar Black, which will resist forming a solid mass of ice within a glass ink bottle during most cold weather conditions (though they will form some harmless ice “slush” when very cold). The first “Polar” ink was “freeze proof” to -114° F, but the reformulated Polar inks made from 2006 and later have a faster dry time, better flow rate, and are basic “freeze resisting” inks to avoid expansion barrel cracks in pens and broken bottles in mail boxes on cold days. They is no guarantee “never to freeze regardless of the temperature” but, they are made to resist the damaging expansion that water based products can be subject to when exposed to freezing temperatures and harsh winter weather.
    2. “Eternal” refers to any Noodler’s Ink that resists the effects of time – moisture, humidity, UV light, acids, water exposure, and many common detergents such as dish soaps and household ammonia, as well as alcohols and acetone (which conventional ball point pens have no resistance to – often rinsing off a newly written check within 8 seconds of being washed with acetone). Many Noodler’s inks such as “eternal” and “bulletproof” inks are made with the ideal of reaching out as far into immortality as the written word permits us to reach – the only way to speak to future generations remains the written word durably made upon the page (a VCR tape is simply not as durable or as universally readable through time!).
    3. “Bulletproof” refers to any Noodler’s Ink that resists all the known tools of a forger, UV light, UV light wands, bleaches, alcohols, solvents, petrochemicals, oven cleaners, carpet cleaners, carpet stain lifters, and of course…they are also waterproof once permitted to dry upon cellulose paper. Some inks are more bulletproof than others – generally in descending order (most bulletproof with the most testing – to less bulletproof): blacks, blues, yellows, invisible (“blue ghost” and “White Whale”), greens, browns, purples, reds….all are equally bulletproof with one exception: the resistance to strong industrial bleaches to the point where the paper structure itself decomposes. Reds are prone to more fading when exposed to strong bleaches (sometimes fading to a yellow) than the other colors.
    4. All Noodler’s Polar Inks are also classed as “Bulletproof”, as well as such inks as “Lexington Gray”, “Black”, “Heart of Darkness”, “Golden Year of the Pig”, “Hunter Green”, “Luxury Blue”, “X-Feather”, and “Fox Red”. Worldwide (including custom issue inks specific to certain countries or individual retailers) there are now more than 220 “bulletproof” and partially bulletproof (mixed ink formulations) Noodler’s Inks. References to ink properties are generally printed upon the labels (with the exception of “X-Feather” – which is a white label issue with very little text).
    5. Water resistant vintage style ink: “Baystate Blue” (this ink is not resistant to UV light or bleaches).

Personally I'd not depend on my fountain pens to remain useable stored in the car; even if the ink did not freeze up evaporation would be an issue in hot weather. And frankly leaving a pen loaded with Noodlers in a car under these sort of conditions? I don't think so!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. bj warkentin

Yup my storage temps range from -45 C (-49 F) to around +45 (+113 F) so I think a fountain pen would have issues. Spacepen just keeps on ticking....

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. ackeith4570

ackeith4570 Loaded Pockets

The AG7 is one of my favorite pens. The cap o matic spring is a little soft for my liking.

7. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

I just got my first Fisher its the Bullet and I love it.

8. trojansteel

trojansteel Loaded Pockets

I put space pen refills in all my fancy edc pens (bolt action). For traveling, i usually have a couple cap o Matics with me.

I’d really like to try the new space pen, the Clutch. Not sure if anyone has reviewed it on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Moshe ben David

Just do a Google search for "fisher space pen clutch review". Most on-line sellers have some reviews posted; as does Amazon. I did a search just now and Google says it got over 300,000 'hits'. LOL

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. bj warkentin

Decent reviews on the net. Simple, solid, clicky. The hexagonal sections stop it from rolling away, and make for a more positive grip with gloves on. Not sure how it would feel for any sort of extended writing session since you would likely be gripping partially on the hex section of the body. My hexagonal pens/pencils (Rotring) have a cylindrical/knurled grip section so you don't actually hold the hex section. I tend to have a fairly tight grip and suspect I would not like it.

It is a nice looking pen and does have an interesting & distinctive body. However, once you get into that price range I would tend to look at the custom pen makers. Lots of choices of bodies that will take Parker refills, which means they will take Fisher space pen refills as well.

11. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

I received an email from Fisher last week (they use Constant Contact regularly....but not to the point of ad naseum like some other marketing efforts so I actually glance at their offers) offering 20% discount of of one order. Jumped on it for the Clutch I’ve been eyeballing....

Will post my impressions soon...since it hasn’t even arrived yet.

12. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

I received my Fisher Clutch Monday, and have been using it desktop since. I like the pen, here are my impressions for a few days in-hand:

1) It’s much lighter on “it’s feet”than I expected. Heftwise and in use it is less weighty than I expected.
    That said I havent found it fatiguing to use, although Im pretty much a notes, spreadsheets, and doodling
    while on the phone kind of user. I’m not writing any manuscripts or dissertations with it.
    2) It’s the only Fisher I own which I can set on my desk without a second thought on its potential for causing me to assume the position on the floor to reclaim it after rolling away. Thats awesome! I have a decades-owned clipless bullet and a relatively new telescoping Fisher both of which have “wheels”. But the pocket-ability of both is a league all it’s own.
    Hey Fisher...how about a truly pocketable pen with designed-in rollaway prevention?
    3) Contruction quality. This pen, like my other Fishers is beautifully crafted and built to last.
    4) Style-wise I find this pen to be totally (can I even say this these days?) “manly” and purposeful and I imagine it’s audience whether intended or not, will be almost exclusively male. I’m good with that and don’t imagine too many of us fellas opt for the Fuchsia Bullet for instance. Im old....fashioned, and still believe that certain things can still be considered “gender-focused”. There...I said it.

So, YES I dig the Clutch.

And my Fisher Bullet.

And my Fisher Telescoping pen.

Daveho and Moshe ben David like this.
  13. Moshe ben David

+100000000 for gender focused design. And to hell with anyone who wants to raise a fuss ... they seem to think its OK to go into raving waves of ecstasy over 'cute' accessories...!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

14. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

I also like my Clutch. I just got it a couple of days ago. I have been using it at work with the black medium refill that came with it. I normally strip that out and replace with a blue fine, but this one seems way better than the other ones I have used in past. It writes very smoothly upside down. Note,the reason I am into space pens is that I do crossword puzzles at night to put myself to sleep, so I use a clipboard and space pen. Why not a pencil? Because I am a puzzle snob,they have to be done in pen. It is writing in the ledgers without the oily schmear that sometimes comes with the black refill. The pen feels totally cool. I like the built in clip.. All in all,it seems pretty nice. I have to quit hanging around these forums, it's getting expensive.

Gogogordy and Moshe ben David like this.
  15. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

PS an unexpected added bonus. If my clutch were a knife, it would be a low ride pocket clip model. What I am trying to say is the Clutch ,when in a shirt pocket, nestles down low. So it doesn't get caught on stuff and rip pockets.

16. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

The clip on that mo-fo is stout.

17. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Yes sir, fine is actuall better with the space pen.....

18. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I bought one through my local Amazon.

Isla TX and Tony Sal like this.