1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need to pick your brain about space pens

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Daveho, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Hey all,
    I’ve been looking at a fisher AG7 space pen for my maxpedition mini.
    Firstly for those of you who have this pen, how do you rate it? Sure it’s cool and an interesting conversation piece but in the real world how does it hold up?
    Any issues? Any reason to go with a bullet space pen instead?
    I would be writing with it a lot as I’m a real estate agent new to the industry so I’ll be going door to door for a while.

Tony Sal likes this.
  2. mbick

mbick Loaded Pockets

I don't have a Fisher AG7 but own several Fisher bullet pens and a Cap-o-matics. Unless you're flush with $$ to burn, I'd look at an M4B or M4B/S to save a few bucks as you get started in your new career. The Cap-o-matic will still give a more professional look than a bullet pen. Any Fisher pen I've purchased and hung onto or lost or had walk off has been sturdy and offered no problem.

3. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

That’s a great idea actually, also a good way to try the space pen refill to see if I get along with it.
    In my industry everyone has moved to iPads when appraising but I think clicking though screens and menus is a lot less professional than taking notes then entering the info on the iPad in your own time so the pen I use has to work as breaking conversation due to a pen sucks

mbick likes this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I have quite a few of the bullet pens as well as an AG7. The AG7 was always for pen for air travel; I also prefer it when I'm in business mode to the bullet pen.

Thing to keep in mind is that just about any pen that will accept for example a 'Parker' style refill will accept the Fisher refill. Usually the Fisher refills are packaged with a little plastic end adapter so that all works as a Parker refill will.

So for example you could just get a Parker Jotter (or any of literally hundreds of pens from major pen makers) and stick a Fisher refill in and be good to go.

FWIW also, if you go this route opt for the Fisher fine point refills. Much less 'blobby'!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. Carl Belcher

Carl Belcher Banned

deleted

#5 Carl Belcher, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Moshe ben David and Daveho like this.
  6. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Hard to go wrong with a Fisher pen, period.

Daveho likes this.
  7. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

I agree with the Fine point. Most of the Mediums I have had ended up with ink "globs". I have three Fishers but my Ti Bolt has taken over.

Daveho likes this.
  8. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

That’s really great feedback, thanks guys.

9. Moshe ben David

Will the Ti Bolt accept a Fisher refill?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Yes but I am using the Schmidt Easyflow 9000. Writes like a rollerball but isn't. They are very reasonable if bought in quantities.

qvxb likes this.
  11. Moshe ben David

I have that refill in a couple of pens. I agree those are great! Just not with all the performance specs of Fisher.

I don't really have a need for upside down writing, writing underwater, etc. Writing on a vertical surface is sometimes handy; so is being able to write on a scrap of paper or receipt that has a grease spot. The MOST handy I have found though is that Fisher refills are able to withstand high temperatures in a closed car in summer without leaking; also able to handle winter freezing temperature in same vehicle without themselves freezing up!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. JeffVenture

JeffVenture Loaded Pockets

the Cap o matic is a machine. never had a problem at all with mine. except getting it back from pen guys who ask to see it.

13. sc00ts

sc00ts Loaded Pockets

I liked my cap o matic until I loaned it to a coworker and he ripped the cap off and broke it. It was my fault though, I should have told him it was a click pen when I handed it to him. I carry bic stik pens at work now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

Haven't owned an AG7, but there are two pens I use on an almost daily basis with Fisher refills.

[​IMG]

Pictured here with my cat in the sunshine, is my Rotring 600 which I have owned for 26 years, and my Fisher Cap-o-Matic which I have owned for maybe 5 years? The Rotring is loaded with a Fisher blue fine refill, and the Cap-o-Matic is loaded with a Fisher black fine refill.

The Rotring stays home and gets used often. The Cap-o-Matic goes to work with me every day and gets used constantly. I often work outdoors and in humid or wet or smoky conditions and the Fisher refill writes on anything in any situation. (For these conditions, I use Rite-in-the-Rain notebooks.) Other than my fountain pens, they are my favorites, and those two metal pen bodies are tanks and will last for the rest of my life, I'm certain.

+1 on using the fine refills rather than medium.

Moshe ben David and Daveho like this.
  15. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Thanks for taki
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

16. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I've a bullet space pen which I I take most places as it disappears in a pocket, only to reappear so I can scribble a someone's details of a reminder on the back of a receipt or a notebook (if I've remembered it). It fulfills that role superbly. I've got a capomatic as a "desk" pen and we've never really got on. It's quite blobby and doesn't write on my wall planner as well as the far cheaper uniball power tank. Big fan of them.

17. Moshe ben David

@Tallboyjim: Fault is not likely the capomatic itself -- like any bp, its just a receptacle to hold the refill! What you describe is kind of common with medium point Fisher pens; I've even experienced it with the bullet pen -- same refill. Fisher makes a fine point refill that does not give off blobs.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal likes this.
  18. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Fair point sir, I'll try another refill. I want to like it as much as the bullet but I can't yet.

19. ecksdog

ecksdog Loaded Pockets

IMO,
    I’ve used most every pen out there. I think the space pens write the worst. For an all around terrific writing pen I would recommend the Uniball Jetstream RT.
    If you need the ability to write vertical or upside down or on damp paper then I would go with the Uniball Power Tank. It uses a pressurized refill like space pens. But it writes much better. Both of these Uniball types use super ink which contains pigments which are fade, forge and waterproof. As well as archival.

Daveho likes this.
  20. Isla TX

Isla TX Loaded Pockets

Quick question about space pens, I found one recently, black matte but with no cap. Anyone know of a place to get just the cap? If someone has a spare let me know how much you'd want for it.