1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need to go "grey"!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by ballast, Aug 10, 2016.

1. veriest1

veriest1 Loaded Pockets

Maybe the security personnel in Europe are that observant but it'd probably be worth the OP's time to make his current bag (which he likes otherwise) look less military and try that. Won't cost much, if any, money to do that unless his bag is coyote or tan. Those are like the new Woodland camo and really stick out from what I've seen.

My previous comment was more in regards to just walking around with it than clearing check points.

If he likes the bag otherwise I think it's really worth a shot. Notice that my first comment in this thread was recommending an Osprey... then I had a cheaper idea than buying a new bag all together. The problem with the Osprey's imo is their lack of organization. Mine acts more like a suitcase with (very comfortable) backpack features.

2. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I use an Osprey Quasar 28 both for work and EDC. Excellent bag and I don't get a second glance.

Superb organisation including a full height admin panel.

3. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I've flown hundreds of times with a GR1 in the USA and it doesn't appear to garner me any additional scrutiny. Mexico was the same for a couple of flights. I got a huge amount of scrutiny flying out of Tel Aviv the one time but I don't think it had anything to do with the GR1.

4. copfish

copfish Empty Pockets

I keep going back to my Tom Bihn Brain Bag. The Vertx EDC Gamut is staring to get more scrutiny at the airports and my Bihn just sails through. The 5.11 24 and 72 get swabbed more than the others... I think comfort wise for me (5-11 230) the Vertx is the most comfortable loaded for long schleps through the bigger airports.

5. ballast

ballast Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestions folks, by chance I was onto my cousin in the states who like me is a gear junkie. He suggested a kelty map 3500 so had a look and to my surprise not a lot of negative reviews which when it comes to edc and milspec packs is a rarity, good price, good quality and from what I can gather from the reviews very comfortable so now the challenge is to find one!

6. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

The MAP 3500 is a great pack. It's my favorite after the Evade. I liked my first one enough that I bought a second. Mine has primarily been used for overnight/weekend trips and occasionally for work when I need to carry more. At 38L, it's a bit larger than your Rush 24, but cinches down nicely when you don't need the extra capacity. Typical, good Kelty quality and very comfortable to carry, at least for me.

ballast likes this.
  7. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

+1 on checking what is predominate in your area, or area you are traveling to! I just went through Turkey and the Balkans carrying a North Face Modem in light blue, and didn't draw any more attention than the others.

8. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

Urban Zippy (wolf gray) from Kifaru. I run the tactical version of it will the molle - but I'm surprised by the versatility of the pack when loaded and unloaded. Even though it's 500d, when it's not loaded, it doesn't look half-bad, because the toplid flops down and it ends up looking shaped like a regular college backpack. But make sure you get the $20 framesheet, otherwise it can be kinda limp.
    http://www.blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Urban-Zippy.jpg

9. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

I just did this. Sold my xantha and bought a ogio renegade. Just did it today but the increase in organization over the xantha is great. I do miss the easy to use large water bottle pockets on the xantha for my 40 oz hydro flask but I'll find a way around that.

Evan03 likes this.
  10. JT2V

JT2V Loaded Pockets

The proliferation of pseudo tactical packs in fashion realm has removed a lot of my concerns over carrying real tactical (looking) gear. In that regards i say get whatever looks nice and feels nice. For me that's usually anything Osprey ;)

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  11. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I generally stay away from any black or tactical looking when traveling. I have either a Jansport or North Face daypack I've been using; both are lower profile colors (green and blue respectively) and can carry a LOT of stuff!

12. Deebo

Deebo Loaded Pockets

Not a tactical company but for something really inconspicuous I really like my Thule Stravan. It's a 22 liter bag and in design it's very, very similar to something like the Maxpedition Falcon/Riftcore, Vanquest Trident 20 style backpacks but without all the MOLLE and strappy bits.

It still uses YKK zippers, has a "crushproof" pocket for things like sunglasses or a small camera, opens clamshell for really easy packing/unpacking, has a separate laptop compartment where the bottom is suspended from the bottom of the bag for additional protector, and has a sternum strap too if that's something you're in to.

13. pieceofwork

pieceofwork Loaded Pockets

For me it's not about scrutiny, but about drawing attention in general. We were in Denver and the bellman at the hotel asked if I was in the military because of my 5.11 duffle bag, which had a flag patch on it. Perhaps he wouldn't have asked the same question without the flag patch, but I'm a low key kind of person and honestly it was a question I would have preferred to avoid. I wasn't annoyed or offended by it, but it's a perfect example of attention I received because of the bag I was carrying.

I suspect the flag patch had more to do with it than the bag, though. Oddly enough, the average person seems to think that only service members display their patriotism. Having said that, I purchased it knowing that it looked more military-ish than my Filson, but it's so much more practical and function so I use it anyway.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  14. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

That is a great idea, thanks for suggesting that, if I ever feel the need to hide my 24,....or I'm thinking maybe a rain cover could be an option??

15. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

Tom Bihn or Osprey! Tom Bihn if you want lots organization, and Osprey if you want a comfortable carry ;)