1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need to go "grey"!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by ballast, Aug 10, 2016.

1. ballast

ballast Loaded Pockets

I by my nature am a greyman, I can literally disappear in a group which is one of my best qualities IMO. Now however as people are starting to notice my very tactical looking backpacks more then before due to the current global situations.

Case in point used my 24 (which is my edc and the perfect all-rounder for me) as a carry on on a recent trip to the UK, I found I stuck out a bit too much ( extra checks and swabs at airport etc) and the fact I'm the kind of guy people generally stay away from due to my "sunny" disposition and also not exactly a small guy doesn't help that people are starting to notice me more now.

So the search is on for the perfect Greyman edc pack, something similar size would be perfect but as I'm here in Ireland all the best stuff is either WAY out of my price range or not available. Any suggestions pics etc greatly appreciated.

2. Glockinmypocket

Glockinmypocket Loaded Pockets

I upgraded to the Vanquest IBEX20 for that reason. Very basic backpack on the exterior.

3. veriest1

veriest1 Loaded Pockets

Are you one bagging it (doesn't sound like it)? What all are you carrying?

The Farpoint 40 is about 10 liters bigger than your Rush 24 but doesn't stand out much other than the Osprey logos plastered everywhere. I deal with it for the price.

Last edited by veriest1, Aug 10, 2016
  4. ballast

ballast Loaded Pockets

Rush 24 so it's loaded out fairly well torches for work, spare batteries, multitools, paperwork first aid and spare uniform when at work also carries stab vest on way to work. My gear takes a good bit of abuse as I'm also ES so if I get a call bag can get thrown anywhere.

5. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Loaded Pockets

To make the suggestion that will inevitably be made, have you checked the Alpha One Niner Evade? (I feel like this is now the default suggestion for everything, from the best EDC bag to what brand of toilet paper is softest on your bumhole.)

Tom A Hawk, Chris C and twin63 like this.
  6. ballast

ballast Loaded Pockets

No actually didn't even consider it haha, there's just sooooo many options I said I'd come here first ha.

7. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

Arcteryx Blade range? Blade 15 in particular?

Think you can get in carbon grey too!

8. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Lol, true! The Evade is a well-built, well-thought out bag. It replaced my Pygmy Falcon II that I had carried 5-6 days a week for the last 5 years. A bit pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.
    [​IMG]

veriest1 likes this.
  9. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

The best "grey man" approach is to buy the most popular backpack in your area. Go on a U.S. college campus and most everyone has a The North Face backpack. No idea what packs are common in Ireland, but buy whichever one is the most popular where you are from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Have you considered having the webbing removed from the 24 and adding a large Jansport, Eastpak, or North Face logo patch?
    It's hard to find a bag as well thought out, designed, and organized as the Rush 24.

nosuchagency and veriest1 like this.
  11. veriest1

veriest1 Loaded Pockets

I picked up a used GoRuck GR1 because my Osprey is to big for EDC and the layout isn't the best.

The GR1's molle is easy to cover or you can add a couple of reflective bands to the back and it looks like sports equipment. I plan to do the latter to keep it slick and it maintains the adaptability of having molle on a pack.

So even if you don't want to drop the cash on a GoRuck "de-militarizing" a bag can be more than just hanging cute stuffed animals off of it.

[​IMG]
    Picture blatantly stolen from Google search results.

12. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Looks like if one found a pouch (or maybe a couple of pouches) the right size and the same color as the bag to cover the webbing with, it would look like a regular backpack with just some handy outer pockets.

Need more tactical stuffed animal pics.

mizedog likes this.
  13. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

GatorMedic is right on the money. Those other bags, slightly "sterilized' or not, aren't going to fool anybody in the know. Those trained to look for things like this spend lots of time on forums; looking for exactly what is being discussed.

14. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I completely agree... I don't understand why regular people go out of their way to look like a Navy SEAL who is trying to look like a regular person instead of just looking like a regular person.

Tom A Hawk and GatorMedic like this.
  15. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

fresh eddie fresh likes this.
  16. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I have a bag buying problem, so it rotates often.. haha! I'm just a regular guy, so going to work on the bus I generally carry a BaileyWorks messenger (great local company) or Rickshaw backpack to hold my laptop. As a regular out-and-about bag (I live in the city) I will reach for a medium sized messenger or a large for shopping or errands (BaileyWorks, Seagull, or RELoad) in whatever color matches my sneakers. I have a couple Chromes I use as skate bags, some GoRucks and Tactical Tailor 3-Day packs for overnight or weekend trips (never had a problem with the TT's in airports in either Coyote or Ranger Green, but years ago I had a surplus European army backpack with medic symbols on it that got dug through thoroughly after the Atlanta bombing despite being filled only with dirty laundry and having gone though the x-ray machine). Assorted Tactical Tailor packs for hiking... although I broke my USA-only rule and picked up a Mystery Ranch Streetfighter and Urban Assault pack I'm going to use for day hikes.

I do not carry a gun or anything that would raise suspicion other than maybe a Spyderco or two, so I am not worried about if a bag looks tactical or not, but I have been leaning to more of a civilian look these days as a matter of personal preference.

#16 fresh eddie fresh, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    steeps likes this.
  17. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Coincidentally, I carry a BaileyWorks bag (253 Courier), too. For the same reason that Levi's are my "tactical pants." They are ubiquitous in the environments that I travel through. I subscribe to 'greyman.' All of my gear is invisible and or super discrete to blend into whatever environment I'll be traveling through.

If you don't want to be caught by the hounds, then don't act look like a fox.

steeps likes this.
  18. veriest1

veriest1 Loaded Pockets

The gear nuts who recognize "sterilized" bags aren't really the issue in my mind.

19. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

It not the "gear nuts" who are the problem, apparently.

From the OP's original post:
    Those are presumably trained security personnel who can recognize the bag for what it is, or what it's pretending to be. Don't want the extra scrutiny? Then carry the most ubiquitous bag possible for where you'll be.

steeps likes this.
  20. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I went on a European cruise not too long ago. So LOTS Of check points (airport, ship, museums, customs, on and on). I carried an Osprey (I forget the model, Nebula I think). It did everything I wanted and I don't think I ever got a second look as these bags are super common.