1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions: hiking daypack w/ MOLLE

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Will_Power, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Will_Power

Will_Power Loaded Pockets

Hey guys, looking for some suggestions as I'm wanting to upgrade my hiking bum-around-in-the-woods day pack. So, not particularly a strictly EDC setup, but as you all are the most knowledgeable gearheads around, I figured I'd ask anyway.

The Malga Gearslinger looks interesting, as it would allow me to throw my Camelback bladder in, but how uncomfortable does that single strack setup work over time? Is it a huge dealbreaker?

I'd like MOLLE as it makes it way easier to me to throw on my woodstools when I go camping along with an external FAK.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

2. Siwhite

Siwhite Loaded Pockets

Maxpedition Falcon II?

3. Dooku77

Dooku77 Loaded Pockets

I just received mine 2 days ago in black. It is my dream backpack. Thin profile so my elbows don't hit it. Lots of compression straps and molle. Its like maxpedition took a little from each bag and put it on this one. Also has the separate zipper pouch for 100oz bladder.

4. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

5. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I used to bum around in the woods with a Maxped Lunada, but I didn't like the single strap set up for that. I traded it for a Pygmy Falcon II and am really happy with it. I don't have a hydration bladder so I don't know about that with it.

6. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

For hiking purposes, I'd stay away from Maxpedition
    gear, too heavy materials. Read "Beyond Backpacking"
    then buy your next new back .

7. bingobango

bingobango Empty Pockets

Agree. 500 denier more than enough.

8. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

Sadly I would have to agree with that.
    My Maxpedition and other Molle packs easily weight several lbs more than a hiking/backpacking style pack of the same size.
    I wish they made a hiking pack that was designed a bit like a Molle pack with more attachment points.

9. twodog

twodog Loaded Pockets

check the 5.11 rush 12 out

10. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Ever since I switched to my T.A.D. Litespeed as my EDC bag I'm also in the market for a MOLLE hiking pack. Probably go with a Camelbak from their Mili lineup. I've just about given up on Maxpeds packs and pouches since finding cordura based brands much less abrassive and annoying feeling and sounding.

11. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

The Kelty Redwing has PALS type webbing directly on the bottom, where you would lash a sleep system.

12. retrospeaks

retrospeaks Loaded Pockets

depending on size, the military version of the camelbak mule may serve your needs if you're only going on day hikes. water, space for food and first aid, and a bit of MOLLE real estate to work with. definitely going to be my next pack purchase for longer runs.

13. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

Camelbak HAWG Military is what I would go with.....

Linchpin is what I have now and its awesome, just don't have molle and I dont really mind at all....

14. hakaduka

hakaduka Empty Pockets

Great deal on the HAWG 500 at Botach (Foliage only)

http://www.botachtactical.com/ca61ha.html

15. Dooku77

Dooku77 Loaded Pockets

I guess I don't mind the weight of the falcon 2 after carrying an 80lbs pack and humping 20+ miles in the Marines. I'm sure there are tons of great packs I'll never own but this one seems right on the money. Next purchase is the typhoon 2.

16. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Loaded Pockets

If its just a daypack the ATS RAID II can take a ton of stuff and its got MOLLE for miles... you can get an internal frame sheet for it which really helps with heavier loads.

17. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

They do, e.g. many Klättermusen packs have attacment points. Those rows of little loops are not ornaments, you can attach a number of side pockets, bottle pockets, communicator pouches etc. on them. The pouches have small aluminium hooks that slide through the loop on the pack and then hold on to it, pretty similar to the system Kifaru lock&loads use. Simpler and much lighter than MOLLE. The packs are not cordura but durable enough and they have serious suspension and load-bearing abilities. Very pricey, but still cheaper than some high-end tactical packs. And they are available in yellow!

18. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

19. hakaduka

hakaduka Empty Pockets

20. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

I've been using the Maxed Falcon II recently for day hiking (5-6 hrs walking not incl. breaks) and walked up a mountain in Wales called Cadair Idris two days ago with it.
    The extra weight seems minimal and isn't apparent to me when the bag is on my back. Maybe its because I'm younger and am reasonably fit or maybe its because the hiking I do isn't of a length or difficulty where small weight differences are noticeable in comfort or performance.
    I really like the features of the bag for general use and for day hiking and would definitely recommend it.
    I prefer to use bottles rather than a camelbak bladder when hiking so I've had to buy a couple of the small roly polys and this set up works really well for me.