1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions for lubricating plastic zippers on Maxpedition bags

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by parnass, May 25, 2006.

1. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Has anyone found an effective, non messy way to lubricate the plastic zippers on Maxpedition versipacks and pouches?

Some of the zippers require too much force to move. Thanks.

2. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

Hve you tried wax? I've used bee's wax, as well as candle wax. Just rub the opend zipper'steeth with an unscented candle, 3 or 4 strokes on each side, then run the slider back and forth a time or two.

todd

3. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I have rubbed a candle on metal zippers, but I hadn't tried it on plastic. Perhaps the tight plastic zippers will loosen with continued use. If not, I'll grab a candle. Thanks.

4. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Try rubbing a pencil on the sticky parts. The graphite with lubricate them.

5. Evolute

Evolute Empty Pockets

If you use the Maxpedition bags for anything outdoors, you need to becareful, when lubing a plastic zipper, not to use anything that can attract and hold dirt and grit. If you use wax, WD40, oil, etc., you are likely to gunk up your zippers even worse, and then the attracted grit can prematurely wear and ruin your zippers.

They should loosen up with a little bit of regular wear and tear. If not, then graphite.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

6. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I agree with Evolute.  When I got my Jumbo FatBoy, it had one zipper that hung at one spot.  Afer a few months use, it's smooth going, as are all the others.

7. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the suggestions. My wife bought a Proteus yesterday and I tried 3 or 4 of them in the store to find one with the smoothest zippers.

But, I have an M-2 waistpack with an obstinate zipper.

8. Gamble

Gamble Loaded Pockets

The zippers on the M2's are too fat to begin with...still a great waist pack though

9. simbad

simbad Loaded Pockets

I use silicon spray for the heavy plastic zippers in awnings, covers and biminis on boats and works very good, it's not greasy and doesn't get the dirt. I would never use any oily product like WD40.

10. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I use Graphite, too. Got a little tin of it from a DIY store. I guess it would be easy enough to decant some into a small container, maybe as another useful item to carry in your SAS tin? If you carry one, that is. I sure do.

11. traveler

traveler Loaded Pockets

I had a jacket that the zipper would hang up on in one spot and I was going to use some candle wax( a well used old timer trick), when I decided to use some White Lightning bicycle chain lube. It goes on in liquid form to get into the minute spots, then dries to a light wax film, and is "self cleaning" i,e., it releases dirt on initial contact.
    Just a drop did the trick.

12. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

What helped on the back zipper (the largest one) on my Fatboy, is adding a differend kind of loop where you can put your finger into, goes pretty easy now. Made an alpine loop in it with some paracord. I can make pics if requested.

13. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

They also make a special zipper wax. My Father-in-law used it on his Proteus and it worked great...

GG