1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need some help from the florida guys.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Tyrolee, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Tyrolee

Tyrolee Loaded Pockets

Hi, well im in a predicament. I am in the market for a new edc knife and I want to spend less than $100 and I would like it to be under 3 inches and not designed to be, "a weapon," but in florida law has to be a, "common pocket knife." Well I don't really do anything bad, i'm never, "suspicious," so I never have and wont really get in trouble with police. But I do want to be in legal standards, now my big problem is I am in love with purple, and I like spyderco's as well. Now that makes me think, "well lets get a delica!" But in your guy's minds is that to much of a, "weapon?"
    Regardless, thanks for reading and have a pleasant day :D.

PS: if you live in florida without a ccw, what is your edc knife, and what are your opinions? knowledge on the laws?

2. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Case law dictates that a common pocket knife is one with a blade less than 3.5 inches and is not automatic (switchblade). You can also carry a fixed blade on your person as long as no part of it is concealed and it is not a "dagger".

I regularly carry a big Boker Plus folder, clipped in my front pocket and have never had LEO's question it. Even campus police where knives are more scrutinized have never bothered with it. We are a southern state where having a good knife on you is expected, so buy what you like and carry the crap out of it.

SAKplumber and Tyrolee like this.
  3. Tyrolee

Tyrolee Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the advice! So do you think a spyderco delica ffg is appropriate? :D

4. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

You will never get a second look from it.

SAKplumber and Tyrolee like this.
  5. Tyrolee

Tyrolee Loaded Pockets

What about a Spyderco Tasman Salt? Would that be legal, or a "common pocket knife?"

6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sounds like if its not too long, and not automatic it will be fine.

Tyrolee likes this.
  7. JoeSWFL

JoeSWFL Loaded Pockets

I live in FL, you should be fine with the delica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. JoeSWFL

JoeSWFL Loaded Pockets

The case of Porter vs. State in 2001 found that a pocket knife is a “common pocket knife” only if the blade is less than 4 inches in length and the knife is in the closed position. Police found Porter with a 4 inch folder knife in the open position in her purse. She was arrested for possession of a weapon by a convicted felon and found guilty. She appealed stating that the knife is a common pocket knife but the appeal court turned down her appeal. This means that, if a pocket knife is over 4 inches and in the open position, it is a weapon and excluded from being a “common pocket knife.”

However, if the pocket knife has too many features, it might not be a “common pocket knife.” The case of F.R. vs State in 2012 found that 3 inch pocket knife with serrations, a notch grip, hilt guard, and locking mechanism does not count as a “common pocket knife.” If his knife did not have serrations, a notch grip, hilt guard, and locking mechanism, it might of been a “common pocket knife.”

9. JoeSWFL

JoeSWFL Loaded Pockets

If you stick with a plain edge non auto folder under 4" you should be ok.

10. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

In my experience, if you act normal you won't ever be bothered by cops here in the Sunshine State.

SAKplumber and JoeSWFL like this.
  11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think the first one you mentioned probably was a case of the state bending the law to "accommodate" being able to charge a convicted felon, since it was concealed and in the open position. It reminds me of the law here for guns. You can carry it in your car, in the glove box, but it has to be "so many steps" from being able to use it. It has to be a process.
    Thats is to say it can't be cocked & locked laying on the seat, ready for use.
    Kinda silly since you can open carry, without a CCDW license, on your belt, while you drive. However, with a CCDW license, you can have it loaded on the seat next to you, as long as its covered. :rolleyes:

The name of the game here is "be allowed to have it" in the first place.

12. Tyrolee

Tyrolee Loaded Pockets

So I think ive decided on a pingo, "less to worry about," and I am now focusing on my wallet. I have had an imperial horse leather wallet for years now and love it. But I recently started driving and I often wear dressy clothes and started driving and it is kind of a hassle, and I am interested in a money clip because of it's weight and ease of use. Do you think that a, "self defense money clip, google that," would be frowned upon or get me in trouble? Because it can be defined as, "a pocket clip," not brass knuckles or a weapon.

Edit: It was a stupid statement. :p

Last edited by Tyrolee, Nov 23, 2013
  13. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Even more appropriate since Florida has a salt water coastline.

Tyrolee likes this.
  14. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

My Boye sailing knife is what I bring to the beach. Its blade is a cobalt alloy so it can't rust. The other parts don't rust either...it's been in salt water many times.
    [​IMG]

Tyrolee likes this.