1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need phone advice - Galaxy S4 or S5?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Blackheart, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Boss wants me to get a smart phone. I looked at the plans/phones offered through work and the Samsung Galaxy looks to be the better choice.

Aside from the S5's much better battery life (and slightly larger size), is there much noticeable difference between the two? The S4 would be free, but the S5 would cost an additional $200.

My primary interest would probably be which takes the best photos. I've got a nice little camera (Canon SD780), but I don't carry it with me because a) I already carry a ton of stuff in my pockets, and b) It's MY camera, dammit, and if it gets broken I'd rather it wasn't on the job.

dml24 likes this.
  2. benjisimon

benjisimon Loaded Pockets

One possible way to look at it: if this is your first smart phone, go for the S4. It'll do far more than your previous phone(s), and will be plenty powerful. You won't miss anything the S5 is offering.

If you've already owned smartphones, then I'd say bite the bullet and go for the S5. I have one and like it very much.

3. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Why the galaxy specifically?

Recommend that you look into the Nexus --- it's the official Google phone, which means no bloatware, and most importantly - the latest OS updates first. I've been on Android Lollipop for a few weeks now (I have a nexus 5), it improved battery life tremendously (I am a heavy user, had to charge 5x per day, now I can make it without charging or just 1x), and almost everything else about the new OS is awesome.

I'm pretty sure that non-nexus phones have not been updated. A friend with HTC said her phone wouldn't get lollipop until Feb / March earliest. That sucks.

The Nexus 6 has a large screen, even better battery, and looks awesome. You might want to check it out.

4. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

If you can wait a bit, the S5 will be cheaper and you should be able to get it for no or little cost very soon with sales and the such.

5. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

You'll be stuck with it for 2 years, and during that time, the phone will slow down, and expected system requirements will increase. For those reasons, it's usually best to get the newest phone you can. I picked up a Note 4 last month (only $100 after trading in my old phone), and I love it.

6. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

If you are new to smartphone S4 should be suffice, there are advantages of S5 that you may not appreciate. The fingerprint scanner, while not as easy to use as apple's, is still faster than screen lock pin, so security without much hassle. Also there's a private mode that will encrypt/hide files you choose.

I would never get a nexus phone since google is dead set on trying to kill expandable storage and forcing other manufacturers to do the same. Samsung is one of the hold outs and I appreciate the ability to pop in a 64 or even 128 GB card and have to never worry about storage space.

7. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Expandable storage and replaceable battery are two of the handiest features of a phone.

8. Tranx

Tranx Loaded Pockets

I've got a galaxy S5. It was my first smartphone. I'm very happy with it.
    What I like about it:
    1.It's waterproof (so no worries about using it outside when it rains. Droplets on the screen can "disturb" the use, but after wiping the screen you can go on.) I used it outside in the rain taking photographs without any problem. With an other phone I would have hesitated about using in in the rain out of fear of wrecking it.
    2.Memory card up to 128 mb can be added (I think the s4 is only up to 64MB or 32Mb). I don't like phones without memory slot for extra storage.
    3.the camera is quite good, especially in good light. But compared to your camera, with optical zoom, and other features, it might/will not be a full replacement.
    4.Nice big screen. Very usefull, but quite big for your pockets if you have been used to a small "normal" phone before (sony ercisson t610). The fact that it's quite flat compensates for the bigger size.
    5.Charging goes quite fast with the delivered cable. I Don't know how I can discribe it exactly, but I'll try. The first percentages charge quite fast, while the last 10% (between 90% and 100%) goes quite slow. This means that when your phone battery is almost empty, and you charge it, that the first % of battery charge quite quick. Giving you a quick boost of your battery if you don't have time to let it fully charge. I don't know how the S4 behaves.
    6.You have a power saving and a super power saving mode which can be very usefull if you battery is getting low (or you want to use your phone as long as possible). Super power saving reverts to black and white and disables some of the functions, but makes sure you can text and call/be called for a much longer period. It already saved my day.

I will add further point when I think about them.

Last edited by Tranx, Dec 4, 2014
  9. Tranx

Tranx Loaded Pockets

Continued ... (as it seems that editing a post multiple times seems to give problems)

7.The camera has a HDR mode. If you're in to photography don't compare it with "real HDR" pictures that are made from multiple exposures to create a special mood, tone mapping, ...
    But it does work when e.g. on a sunny day with shadows: you have to choose between "black shadows and a sky with some colour tints in it" or "shadows where you can see things in but a washed out white sky".
    The HDR makes sure (up to a point) that you can see what's in the shade AND have some colour in the sky at the same time.
    (I don't know if the S4 has it or not, but if the S4 has it, I think I read somewhere that it's much slower?)
    8.You can shoot 4K movies (not possible with S4)

I will add further points when I think about them.

10. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah, you can see the result of HDR on screen in real time, which I don't believe is common yet.

and you cam take full resolution photo while shooting 1080 videos.

11. Tranx

Tranx Loaded Pockets

"you cam take full resolution photo while shooting 1080 videos"

I didn't know that. I haven't had time to read the whole manual.
    Could you tell me how to do it ?

12. Blackheart

Whoa. Thanks to all for the replies... much appreciated! (special thanks to Tranx for spanning 3 posts)

Yes, this would be my first smartphone and I'm only getting it because the boss told me to and the employer is paying for it. My personal cellphone (an older Motorola candy-bar type) never leaves my vehicle and seldom even gets turned on (I'm pretty low-tech when not at work, one day I might figure out how to text on the thing).

I'd probably be perfectly happy with the S4, but as has been pointed out, I'm going to be stuck with it for the length of the contract (and 2 years is roughly an eon in the consumer electronics world). For this reason, I'll probably go for the S5.

13. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

The S4 and S5 are very capable smart-phones. The S5 feels far more robust. It's also waterproof and dustproof to the IP67 certification - which, according to Samsung, means it's safe from "rain, liquids, sand, dust and sweat. The screen is slightly larger, 5" on ths S4 and 5.1" for the S5. The S5 is reported to have better battery life and is slated to recieve the latest version of lollipop before the S4. There some sales on the S5 that would allow you into a two year contract with the phone being at low or no cost.

14. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Remember how the still and video camera have their control button on screen at the same time? Just start the video then press the still camera button whenever you want a photo. Can't do it while shooting 4k though, I guess there's a limit to its processing power.

The manual actually stinks as far as detail goes, there are a lot of little things it doesn't tell you.

15. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Wait, your boss is paying for it, then why is the price difference even a question lol.

With these top of the line phones they'll still run anything you can throw at it 3 years later, so it's not really a concern.

And the camera on S5 is excellent during daytime, but goes downhill fast when it gets dark, but that's true for all phone cameras.

I think it takes better photo than my 2 year old Sony point and shoot, here are some samples I posted on another forum. forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53894.0.html

Last edited by jzmtl, Dec 4, 2014
  16. Maze

Maze Loaded Pockets

Had them both. S4 lasted three days. You couldn't pry my S5 out of my hands. Best phone I've ever had.

17. Blackheart

Yeah, I'm kinda' weird that way. I always look for the best value no matter who's money I'm spending. Why? No idea... ;)

Those are some really nice photos, jzmtl, people here should check them out. Makes me want to visit Montreal (...in summer :)).

There's really no new places to develop anymore, so older structures and parking lots are teared down for new structures. This makes me all stabby :mad:

Thanks again to everyone for the tips.

18. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

Something to keep in mind... those "free" phones aren't free. It's still $500 or whatever. You're just paying that cost over the course of the contract. If you're paying that bill, the money is still coming out of your pocket. The monthly payment is part of the cost... my last smartphone cost me $300 up front, and another $75/mo for 24mo. A total of $2100. If I'd gotten a "free" phone, it would've been $1800. Only a 14% difference.

So the question is whether that newer phone is worth about 10-14% more than the older one. For the gadgetophiles among us, that perspective makes the "new hotness" a no-brainer.

19. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Hehe, yeah, right now Montreal is not a good place to be, unless you like cold and ice, don't even have any real snow.