1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need new EDC bag...and help!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by gnarley.jeep84, Nov 1, 2017.

1. gnarley.jeep84

gnarley.jeep84 Loaded Pockets

Looking for some input, opinions, advice and two cents. I am in the market for a new EDC bag and I cannot find what fits my needs.
    Recently had some back 'issues,' turns out it's more like back 'problems' and I can't carry around quite as much as I used to (which can be a lot). I have worked on carrying less (load out to be included below) and of course that means the bag size changes. I've tried my staple bags and even a few strange ones but nothing that is what I am looking for.

First, what I carry:
    -Gum, Chapstick
    -Small bottle of hand sanitizer
    -Kleenex & bandana
    -Small IFAK, prescription bottle, icy hot patches
    -Leatherman Skeletool
    -Streamlight Protac2AAA, petzel headlamp and spare batteries
    -5x7 notebook & pens
    -Bottle of h20 + granola bar (not pictured)
    -shemagh, beanie

Now of course depending on what I am doing, a few things can be thrown in the bag so I like a little room or expandability.

Next, the bags that I have already tried and my gripes about them:

-Maxpedition Monsoon - love the bag, just not for EDC. It's comfortable but just too big to take into the grocery store or doctors office.

-Maxpedition Noatak - like the messenger style but the bag was a lot smaller inside than it looks from the outside.

-Maxpedition Fatboy - the cross body style is great for ease of access but just too small.

-Maxpedition Colossus - same as above but too heavy empty. Add just a few items (because you can't fit much more than that without attaching pouches) and suddenly it feels 20lbs heavier.

Tom Bihn Large Cafe Bag - this is part of the current EDC rotation and I really do like this bag...I just wish there was an exterior water bottle holder.

Timbuk2 (XS - L) - This is another favorite of mine. Comfortable, like how it carried, good size (small) for EDC and with the newer models the compression straps allow for some extra room to add a jacket. Excellent waterproofness (I'm in Western Washington so that's a big bonus). Carrying anything more than 16oz of water can get awkward though.

Mountainsmith Lumbar Packs (Day, Tour, Swift, and two others I can't remember the names of now) - great for hiking...horrible for daily carry.

Patagonia Atom - I really fell for this bag in the store but again, no way to carry water.

Now I haven't touched on the backpacks and it's because I have a backpack (well many), I love my backpack(s), but it's just awkward to carry EVERYday. Going to the movies? Nope, not with a backpack. Taking my wife to the doctor? Again, not backpack appropriate.

So here are my important parts:
    -water bottle holder: whether interior or exterior (preferred) I like to carry 18oz (kleen kanteen)-32oz (nalgene) based on the season. I'm tending more towards 18oz to just save some on weight.

-organization: I hate black holes or having to pouch together items just so I can find them later. The pouches add weight and it takes longer to find what I need.

-materials: I live in one of the wettest areas of the US, I prefer a bag that can tolerate some rain without drenching my items.

-expendable/room to spare: I will frequently grab the camera for a walk or my tobacco pipe pouch and like some room to toss in what I need for the day.

I have included a photo of my load out for reference.

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Cheers and happy carrying![​IMG]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

surefire7, Tallboyjim and FLbeachbum like this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Tom Bihn Synapse in whichever size seems most right for you.
    Works for every one of your requirements from my actual user experience and is genius at not looking full with a load like you picture here.

I had the 19 when it was the only and first one they offered and it always felt silly on me as it looks so small but now I have the 25 and life is good!

Pricey perhaps but buy once cry once as they say.

3. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

Excellent post. I carry almost the same stuff and have the same problem. All the bags I've tried are either too big, too small, or just don't look appropriate for the situation. Let us know if / when you find the right bag.

gnarley.jeep84 likes this.
  4. gnarley.jeep84

Thanks! And will definitely let everyone know once it's decided. I guess this is the ongoing struggle as an EDC'er, too much stuff and not enough bag ha ha.

FLbeachbum likes this.
  5. gnarley.jeep84

Thanks EZDog! I have had my eye on the synapse 25, just not a fan of the backpack daily carry. Those a are beautiful bags and I hope to find a niche for one in my carry!

6. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Bit left field, Vanguard Havana. They do different sizes.

So far left it's in the bleachers (and I'm not sure how water proof) pacsafe metrosafe LS250.

Out of the park, through someone's windscreen - the millican nick messenger bag.

Last edited by Tallboyjim, Nov 1, 2017
    #6 Tallboyjim, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Another great choice then is the Pilot or Co Pilot.
    These are more structured than many bags this size and can hold a lot more than they seem.
    Other than a 32oz Nalgene they also would carry everything that you show and are not tactical at all other than in function!

I ca also slide my co pilot into other bags if needed and mine has a 12" Macbook in there along with my other EDC much of the time.

I have also found mine of Ebay and paid a lot less than new price but both were just like new too.

gnarley.jeep84 and echo victor like this.
  8. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

I got the Pilot a year ago as a Christmas gift (along with the Absolute Strap). It's a really nice bag; I have used it almost everyday as an EDC work bag. Very well made, well-thought-out and good-looking to boot.

steeps and gnarley.jeep84 like this.
  9. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

As a lifelong Western Washington resident myself a Timbuk2 Small Messenger would be just about right. From the looks of your EDC it would be a perfect fit with a bit of room left over for "what have you". They have never let me down and the waterproofing works. Even in a down poor I've never worried about my expensive laptops and associated hardware. I've tried just about every brand and I keep coming back to my trusted T2 bags. I have a messenger from 1998 that is still kicking and 100% waterproof.

steveje and gnarley.jeep84 like this.
  10. gnarley.jeep84

I like the millican Nick! Definitely checking that one out more, thanks!

11. gnarley.jeep84

I'm becoming more of a Tom Bihn fan. The Copilot looks about the right size. Do you ever feel like it's a bit 'boxy' or rigid with the shape?

12. gnarley.jeep84

I do love my Timbuk2 messengers, not quite as old though. I did upgrade to a small post the 2014 changes and I do like the built in laptop sleeve. Plus you are on point about the waterproofness. Never have to even worry. Hmmm... Maybe I don't need a new bag but just to rethink how I use an existing one. The CFO of the house will be pleased :)

Durandal64 likes this.
  13. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Goruck Bullet

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Benbrooks and gnarley.jeep84 like this.
  14. Onepoint

Onepoint Loaded Pockets

Your EDC is quite small so the question is in addition to a water carry pocket how much empty space do you want?

Take a look at the Maxpedition Gridflux. I was partial to the Kodiak but the Gridflux with less useable volume just looks nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. jdcarpe

jdcarpe Empty Pockets

I haven’t personally tried one, but your load is small enough to fit in a RedOxx Gator. I’m a big fan of RedOxx bags, and if I didn’t need to carry a laptop with me, a Gator would definitely be my next purchase. I tend toward backpack carry, myself, but the quality of their gear is such that I’m seriously considering either a Metro or CPA briefcase for EDC. The only reason I haven’t made that purchase yet is that I can’t decide between the two.

tmgplc and gnarley.jeep84 like this.
  16. Onepoint

Onepoint Loaded Pockets

[QUOTE
    Take a look at the Maxpedition Gridflux. I was partial to the Kodiak but the Gridflux with less useable volume just looks nicer.
    [/QUOTE]

I want add that the Gridflux like the Maxpedition Kodiak is rather unique in that it carries like a backpack but wears like a messenger bag with a cross body strap. This design distributes the carry weight like a backpack.

17. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

Just picked up a Under Armor Coalition 2.0 and I am looking forward to testing it out over the next month. It has a “frame sheet” feel to it and will unzip down for TSA purposes for those times when I might need to fly. It has space in the zippered compartment for my iPad and a separate slot for my laptop. If not carrying my laptop then any files I might be reading should fit in the same pocket. I wanted a pack that was slim but would allow me to carry my daily stuff and have room to shove in a rain jacket, light jacket or for those days when I need to haul extra stuff and this pack has a cool feature with a separate full length/width flapped pocket. Right now I’m not using it but I see it being valuable. I’m thinking of getting a packing cube to allow me to pack for overnight and slide it in and out of the bag with little effort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. menace2sobriety

menace2sobriety Loaded Pockets

I bought myself a 5.11 rush last year for Xmas and like how it’s set up but I’m trying to get away from all of the tacticool stuff so I got a nice fossil messenger bag a few weeks ago and so far really like it. The laptop is a 13” MacBook Air [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]