1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need Large Storage Tube Ideas

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by jtice, May 11, 2010.

1. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

I am wanting to come up with some large water tight tubes for storage.
    To be used while camping, storage in the jeep, back of the truck, etc.

Would like to have some different sizes. 5 to 10" dia. x 2 to 5 feet long.
    The only idea I have had is making them out of PVC pipe, which would be easy and cheap.
    But I dont think the screw on caps are going to be water tight are they?

~John

2. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Yes. Or, you can seal them with some teflon tape.

3. AeroNautiCal

AeroNautiCal Loaded Pockets

A plumbers supply or home improvement store should stock suitable, lightweight water/waste/soil stack pipe which will take solvent weld ends with waterproofed screw cap fittings.

They're popular here as they can be configured to suit and won't break your back or bank.

4. Chinaman

Chinaman Empty Pockets

The PVC pipe will seal without the use of teflon tape.

5. Priestly

Priestly Loaded Pockets

6. Roach

Roach Empty Pockets

+1 on test plugs. Thats what they use for the Mossberg JIC

The JIC is something you'll probably like if you're doing the tube system :p

7. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

If you use the test plugs make sure you lube the rubber to help it seal properly and use some of that desiccant to absorb any water vapor! Should work real well!!!

8. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

Are the test plugs really $25+ ?????/ Thats insane, I am looking for a MUCH cheaper solution. LOL
    I guess I dont need it Super water tight, but I want it to be able to handle heavy rain on the highway.

~John

9. Priestly

Priestly Loaded Pockets

I don't think most of them are that expensive. A ten-inch one might be though.

If the seal doesn't have to be that tight, how about drilling a small hole in the side of a slip-on cap and inserting a dull screw to hold it on?

10. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

We use to use 4" or 5" PVC pipe with the screw on ends on top of our work truck ladder racks to hold structural angle at the garage door company I used to work for. They were out in all kids of weather year round, and I don't recall ever seeing any moisture inside the tubes.

Does the storage you're looking for need to be hard sided? I've used roll-top dry bags for outside waterproof storage like I have for canoeing. I occasionally find the larger ones on sale, and have several different sizes, including some pretty big ones.

11. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

I may have to try the regular screw on caps, they are cheap, cant hurt to try.
    That would make a nice setup for the money, prefer something hard shelled.

Thanks for the info guys.
    ~John

12. jlwilliams

jlwilliams Loaded Pockets

ive made cases for my fly rods and just use a sewer clean out they are not tapered and they have a little washer to seal it

13. S391

S391 Loaded Pockets

Just make sure you use the correct grade of PVC pipe. There are different grades for waste water or drinking water... I don't remember all the specs but you want to make sure to use the correct stuff.

14. gpturner

gpturner Empty Pockets

15. raider502

raider502 Loaded Pockets

Been using PVC pipe for map tubes and it works well.

16. roger.weathersby

roger.weathersby Empty Pockets

ABS or PVC has worked for me in the past (ABS only because I didn't like the white sore thumb thing going, or you can make a cloth cover for them, but i'm lazy on that), I can second that $25 sounds reasonable for 10" since they are not very common AFAIK.

I use 4" as well, good watertight storage. ABS I hear burns very easily, haven't tested. Reality is if you affix these to pipes with the proper pipe cement, it WILL stink in the tube and will very much so make anything you put in there smell like that for a while, however it will function. Use a pipe cutter if you can instead of a hacksaw as well, since hacksaws tend to make a mess of the end of the pipe and leave crumbs as well as gaps for things to collect in if the cut is uneven. You can also use pipe screw clamps on the outside to affix these pipe carriers to just about anything or to put a sling on them to carry around.

17. eeph

eeph Empty Pockets

[Accidentally replied to wrong thread - please delete.]

18. fiveminutes

fiveminutes Loaded Pockets

We also had these as fishing rod holders that we mounted on the top and bottom of our old camper. We never had any problems with them leaking using just the screw on seals. and that was driving through rain. One option might be to just get an O-ring to help keep it sealed. Also on the 4" pipes we ended up having to put an eye-bolt on the cap to assist with unscrewing them as they would at times be very difficult to open.

19. therealdc

therealdc Loaded Pockets

in the 80's and early 90"s you could get 105 howitzer ammo tubes. These were about 4" diameter and 2 feet long. They had a screw on cap that had a o-ring and were water tight. It was OD plastic. I could get these at gun shows at the time. I have some around here somewhere, but I'm pretty sure they were for US 105 rounds.

20. 79 CJ

79 CJ Empty Pockets