1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need ideas on how to carry a flashlight in sweatpants

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Drjones, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Drjones

Drjones Loaded Pockets

As titled; when I'm lounging around the house in my fleece sweatpants, I find it handy to have a flashlight on me for a variety of reasons; if I go into the garage, take out the trash, etc.

My sweatpants have fairly deep pockets, but no matter how far in the bottom of my pocket I *think* my flashlight is, it keeps working its way out of my pocket and dropping on the floor when I get up after I've been lying on the couch.

I've been carrying a SF E1B Backup (old style) and Maratac 2x AA from Countycomm.

I've been thinking of maybe like a belly band or something, but would like something less obtrusive than that / more comfortable; I don't really want to wear a belly band while lounging around the house....I also don't want a neck lanyard as those are uncomfortable as heck for me.

Heck, maybe I'll just take & sew a dedicated pocket onto these pants or something.... I know people here are creative & I'm wondering what you've come up with.

EDIT: I was thinking that a clip would be nice, but it would have to be much larger / looser to accommodate the thicker material of my sweats...both the SF E1B + Maratac have pocket clips, but they're obviously intended for much, much thinner materials....are there any clips like that on the market?

Thanks!

#1 Drjones, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Sew a zip on the pocket? Buy a pair with a zip pocket?

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Is it the lanyard you don't like, or is it anything around your neck? Bead chain or link chain, maybe?

My lounge-wear carry is a bead chain with Atom A0 AAA light, knife, id tag, etc. which I wear everywhere but the shower.

The only time I know it's there is when I go to bed, laying on my side, and everything on the chain drops down into my lower armpit.

4. Drjones

Drjones Loaded Pockets

Mostly just the weight around my neck; the bead chains for me are super uncomfortable, and the weight of a light / knife / etc. knocking against my chest + hanging off my neck is just highly uncomfortable.

5. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I find that the clips on my flashlights (Olight i3s, Zebralight H53w) are fine for sweatpants as long as I use two hands. One hand to bend the clip wider and control the item and the other to keep the pocket from moving.

You could try various makes of dangler clips. The Tec P7 clip is very tight and it is a bit of a struggle to get it onto sweatpants, but my Pangea designs pickpocket is wider and is pretty easy to clip on my sweatpants and then remove with my keys on it. There are many other similar clips on the market as well. I mean, you're probably going to need to use two hands to clip the item onto your sweatpants regardless of the clip type.

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Drjones: for the casual, lite duty (bad pun, I know) usage you've described (taking out trash, going into garage, etc.), maybe you should consider a similar lightweight (I'm talking mass here) light. In other words a classic keychain type light. I am a huge fan of the NiteCore Tube lights; these weigh very little and with a form factor not all that much different (albeit a bit thicker) than dog tags. Might be easier for you to handle on a neck lanyard. Or for that matter, since so small and light, should not be an issue in the pocket of your sweats.

The original Tube put out a high level of about 45 lm; I'm not sure what the newer ones do. They are rechargeable off a USB. The original ones did not have a 'safety' switch to avoid the light turning on; I think newer ones do. I have the originals on my key rings and have not had issues.

There are of course other keychain lights; the classic disc shaped Photon type for example.

I realize none of these has the power of the lights usually spoken of on here; but for your needs maybe these would do well?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. Blackheart

A light that small and light could be safety-pinned just about anywhere.

(I know, but I had to at least mention it)

8. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Loaded Pockets

I just clip mine iwb. I currently carry an E1B MV, used to carry an old style E1B. I've never had a problem with the clip while carrying iwb in sweatpants.

Maybe email Surefire for a new pocket clip? The clip on my newer MV is much tighter than the old one. I'm pretty sure it'll work a little better in the looser pockets of sweats.

9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Sew a MOLLE panel onto the sweat pants. :bounce:

Failing that.....
    1. A flashlight holster you can clip to the waistband of the sweatpants.
    2. A gear organizer that holds your flashlight more securely in the pocket. The most common ones hold a flashlight & knife and are made of leather or nylon.
    3. Attach a static line to the flashlight that is secured to a gear dangler that clips to the waistband of the sweatpants.
    4. Run a very short length of nylon webbing through a flat d-ring, fold it back on itself so the D-ring is trapped. Then take the free tail end of the webbing and sew that to the sweatpants near the waistband. The gives you a place to clip your flashlight to like a D-Ring attachment point on a pack.
    ATB,
    Sam

10. sc00ts

sc00ts Loaded Pockets

Same here. Zebralight h53c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Drjones: I just became aware via another thread here at edcf, of newer products from NiteCore. In particular one called the TINI, which is both somewhat smaller than the TUBE and has output which is far far brighter than the TUBE. You should look at it!

There are YouTube videos which illustrate....

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

How about a belt, something that works well for concealed carry as well, worn under sweatpants. It is more comfortable than a belly band, for me anyway. I’m talking about a nylon web belt, I use a 5.11 myself. Placed at the same place around my waist as my normal belt.

13. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Don't mind that it's an integrated battery, but I wish it wasn't proprietary and not serviceable by the end-user.

The Olight Ion is kind of sexy too, but probably has the same kind of caveat.

ATB,
    Sam

14. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

How about a med. Sized dot of Velcro. Much easier than a zipper or a molle panel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

15. Blackheart

Buy sweat pants with cargo pockets.

[​IMG]

david57strat and Moshe ben David like this.
  16. gadgetjack

gadgetjack Loaded Pockets

I have done two different thigs. #1: I poked a hole in the sweats and clipped a carabiner in there (using the band as a belt). This really only works for keychain sized lights. #2: I used a runners fanny pack. The one I found on amazon is very small.

17. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I think this may be the best suggestion, yet. I never wear sweat pants (and pretty much live in cargo shorts, year-round); but if I did, this is how I'd go about EDCing my lights, and it'd still be my Mk III and one of these two S41, most likely.

[​IMG]
    SC600w Mk III is the one i the middle.

[​IMG]
    The S41 has quad Nichia 219B emitters, for a beautiful, neutral tinted flood of light, in seven modes. Shown here with the 18650 extender.

#17 david57strat, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  18. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

Pockets, belts (not the best option) with a holster, smaller flashlights, hat or headband lights, necklace lights or holsters, and ankle holsters come to mind but I cannot verify each is available with full proof capabilities. When I use to jog outside I had a very small handgun, CCL id, keys, and a phone. I always wanted a flashlight in low to dark conditions but didn't go that way. I probably would now, even if it was just a key chain type with the keys.........but my phone light was sufficient for limited use needs.

19. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I agree, I only buy gym wear that has zips on the pockets,.....I'm not a fan of these 'sweatwear' pants in general, here in the UK they are associated with being a 'chav'/drug dealer/low life, so I try to find ones made from a different material/look a bit more stylish period.

20. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

The Tube might work if you put a rubber band around it to provide friction. It's super light, but might not cover your brightness needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk