1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need help with SAK blade

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Lellobeetle, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

I've a friend on Facebook who has an well used Electrician Alox that needs a new main blade. Victorinox declined his warranty. I have no idea why. But, is there anyone here or a customizer that anyone here knows of that could help this guy?

[​IMG]

Adahn likes this.
  2. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

If I was to guess, Vic probably said no due to hard use. That blade is trashed. Anyway, depending on what wants to spend, any of the current breed of SAK modders on IG or FB can do the job and even change the tool set altogether as well as scale upgrades. Not cheap but would make for a lovely knife.

Moose and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Maybe I sound like an a@@hole now, but on what grounds do you think you/he can claim warranty on this blade? It was wrecked down. Maybe instead of claiming warranty, you might very politely ask if they can sell you a spare blade. Please don’t take this personal, but usually asking nicely brings you a long way.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

Moose and Moshe ben David like this.
  4. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

It looks to me like he's had the knife a while and used it. The fact that the board looks like it's a recurve instead of a drop point tells the story. I don't think Victorinox was out of line.

In my opinion, buy a new one. The cost of repair will be greater than the cost of replacement. Put that one in the bottom of the toolbox for use when it's the only thing you have.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Moose, Adahn and Moshe ben David like this.
  5. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

It’s a nice old model. Maybe there is some interest, other than monetary, to keep it.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

Adahn likes this.
  6. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

It very well may hold some sentimental value. I have a shelf at home that holds several items whose value is greater than their price. Just a guess but I think about a third of the blade is already gone. It may be time to retire the old friend and get a new friend.

7. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Victorinox is usually very generous with its warranty repairs.

I've heard though that their US section is not thinking the same way, sometimes it's better to write to their Swiss website and ask there.
    Of course shipping costs more but there's chances they'd get you a new blade (maybe for a fee).

On the other hand I'd just regrind that blade, that should be possible on a Spyderco Sharpmaker or a diamond honing steel even with such a recurve.

Stuart Mantel likes this.
  8. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

Asking Victorinox to replace a worn out blade under warrantee is about like asking Ford to replace the tires you wore out after 70K miles.

Moshe ben David and Lellobeetle like this.
  9. Lellobeetle

It was my impression that this acquaintance did just that. Firstly, he didn't know because they say lifetime warranty. Secondly, he was prepared to just pay, but they didn't sound like they could or would do that. At this point, he's looking to pay a customizer to replace the blade, so he's willing to pay for the service.

10. Lellobeetle

This guy is a casual member of my Facebook knife group and didn't go heavily into detail - I just told him I'd try to find a SAK customizer who might be to replace the blade of course for a fee.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Wait what? Did he claim warranty now, or did he ask to buy a spare part? That could make all the difference in the world. My 0.02 USD would be, to write an email directly to SAK in Switzerland. Add the picture, talk about “Old Trusty” and ask for the cost of a spare part. Don’t even mention the word warranty but clearly ask for pricing.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

Moshe ben David and Adahn like this.
  12. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Exactly my idea. They even say that they can replace blades but ask first if you really want that on a discontinued model if the new part is somewhat different from an old model.

13. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

For those who have not filed a repair request with Victorinox, you have the option to say you will pay for repairs if not covered and need to supply your cc info for return shipping. As far as the FB member getting names for modders to replace the blade, I’ve already given him a name. Hopefully he finds someone he trusts.

14. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Trust this guy in this all y’all, he is from Switzerland

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener