1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need help with restoring old Seiko

Discussion in 'Watches' started by survivorman, Dec 14, 2014.

1. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

I lately rediscovered my old Seiko automatic diver watch when cleaning out my desk. I bought that watch a couple of years ago in Dubai an used it for about 2 years until it started being slightly off time. I gave the watch to a jeweler but he did not do a very good job because after getting it back i had issues with condensating water inside the watch! :(
    The watch sat in the desk now for a few years and when i found it the straps broke off, i guess that was just material fatigue.

Now i would like to get it restored because the watch has some sentimental value for me.

To make it work again i will just ask a Seiko dealer to repair it.

But i think i will change the Bezel as it is pretty worn off and i will have to get new straps, too.

Do you guys have any recommendations for cool bezels and non-metal straps? Any recommendation and input is appreciated!

[​IMG]

“Knicks and dull edges are abominations, so use knives and hatchets for nothing but they were made for.” – Horace Kephart, 1917

2. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Personally, I would keep the bezel that's on it already. A new bezel, no matter how cool looking it is, will never be as cool as that dinged, faded and worn one is. That one tells a story that no new factory made item can match.
    If you liked the old Seiko resin, there's nothing wrong with getting another one of those. Alternatively, Zulu straps are pretty bombproof and comfortable, and they claim a few loss prevention backups in the case of a spring bar or buckle failure.

Shike, Soosh and survivorman like this.
  3. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

I shopped for old Seiko divers similar to my trusted 6105-8000 and found on that auction site TONS of parts for old divers, some vintage, some copies.
    I considered buying a beat up old one and restoring it myself (watch tools are cheap on these sites as well) as in good condition they go for 500-1000.

survivorman likes this.
  4. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

At the very least if you decide to replace the bezel, don't discard the old one. Somebody would be happy to buy it from you. If I still had my 007 I'd be happy to buy it from you.

thatotherguy and survivorman like this.
  5. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thanks guys for your advice! So i might keep the bezel and get a black zulu strap! Those look pretty cool.

“Knicks and dull edges are abominations, so use knives and hatchets for nothing but they were made for.” – Horace Kephart, 1917

6. cwigs96

cwigs96 Loaded Pockets

I'd recommend that you take a trip over to reddit and check out /r/seiko. Message /u/seikoholic, he can either sell you any OEM (and probably NOS) part you could possibly want, or he could do the work for you if you don't want to/don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

survivorman likes this.
  7. raggasonic

raggasonic Loaded Pockets

At least, cousinuk sells tons of parts, and provides maintenance manuals. You could have a look there ;)

survivorman likes this.
  8. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

Do a search for seikoboy (spell it backwards). He's got some really nice custom Seiko parts.

survivorman likes this.
  9. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

The only issue I had with my black on black Maratac Zulu after a year of wear was a little wear on the retainer ring closest to the buckle and the buckle itself. The PVD wore off and the steel is peeking through, but it isn't flaking off. It's just worn from abrasion. Other than that and a little grunginess (washing it would take care of that) there isn't a thing wrong with it. Hope this helps!

survivorman likes this.
  10. Rverdi

Rverdi Loaded Pockets

Agree with all, maybe a service but keep the original bezel and put a fresh Zulu on, gtg.

survivorman likes this.
  11. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thanks a lot guys for all the advice and recommendations!

12. madeofducktape

madeofducktape Loaded Pockets

My advice would be to keep the bezel. As mentioned before the dings tell the story . you can't go wrong with a NATO/ Zulu strap but for the sake of discussion I've heard good things about buonnetto cinturini (spelling?) Rubber straps. I'm hoping to find one under the tree!

survivorman likes this.
  13. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Current status: I keep the bezel and just ordered genuine Seiko replacement straps in the UK. Thank you all for your advice and help!